Oregon newbie SPL311-25411

Here you can introduce yourself to the group.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

SPL311-25411
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Oregon newbie SPL311-25411

Post by SPL311-25411 »

Hello Roadster World!

My name is Landon. My wife and I purchased a basket-case Roadster that hasn’t been on the road for almost 20 years. Some work was done by the previous owner as time went by but it isn’t road worthy or pretty.

I’m currently working on a new brake setup because the brakes are damaged. There are good original parts I’m removing that will eventually go up for sale for the purists who need them. SU style carbs need rebuilt. Fuel system needs cleaned out. Wheel studs are broken. Vintage Panasports are thrashed and need refurbished. Suspension is past its useful years. Interior is sad. Hole in D/S floor pan. I have the convertible top metal structure but the fabric is long gone. It’s been wrecked in the front and P/S but it is structurally strong, just needs some massaging and paint.

I’m looking for a nice convertible top, front air-dam, side-skirts, seat covers, roll bar and five-point harnesses. All advice is good advice.

I plan to keep the engine as long as I can, but I work for a company that makes electric car drivetrains and it would be easy to swap the smallest motor we make into it. The real trouble would be getting the rear end to handle 500nm of torque and 500hp. When I do make the conversion, I will put a stronger manual transmission in because I can’t drive an automatic. 🤣

I daily drive a heavily modified Scion xA that has been on the track a few times. I’m into lightweight, well behaved cars that corner like it’s on rails. The Roadster fits that mold.

I plan to daily the Roadster on days it doesn’t rain and take it to the track when the opportunity presents itself. I hope to meet some folks along the way at meets and driving events in Oregon and Western Washington. Hope to see you around.

EDIT: I added a pic of the damaged side and D/S engine bay. I love the stripes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SPL311-25411 on Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'69 Datsun 1600 Roadster (Basket-Case)
'06 Scion xA (Daily and track car)
'85 Toyota MR2 (Basket-Case Converting to Electric)
Habitat.pat
Roadsteraholic
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: Oregon newbie SPL311-25411

Post by Habitat.pat »

Welcome Landon! Lots of good help here. Car looks better than I expected from your description. 20 years isn’t too bad, that’s what I started with & it’s now almost completed after 3 years work.

Peace,
Pat
67.5 SPL311 Stroker Restomod
Pat Horne, Near Austin, TX
We support Habitat for Humanity
A hand UP, not a hand OUT
devo
Roadsteraholic

Post by devo »

"I plan to keep the engine as long as I can, but I work for a company that makes electric car drivetrains and it would be easy to swap the smallest motor we make into it. The real trouble would be getting the rear end to handle 500nm of torque and 500hp. When I do make the conversion, I will put a stronger manual transmission in because I can’t drive an automatic. 🤣"

Welcome. I'd love some more info on the company you work for, and to closely follow your conversion when it happens. Please detail it here.
jr02518
Roadster Fanatic

Post by jr02518 »

Landon,

Welcome to an obsession! There is lots of knowledge and helpful input on this form. The fact you are starting with a hard top will have a number of other owners envious.

I started with a garage queen that had dissolved mechanically. My only suggestion, just get into driver condition. First.

David
zippy67roadster
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by zippy67roadster »

Good looking car. Welcome to the group. Let me know if I can help with parts or tech support.
1967 Datsun SPL311-08935-vintage race car
1967 Datsun SPL311-10123 project
1967 Datsun 411 wagon
67.5 SPL311 Vintage Race car project
64 NL320 Pickup Truck
Brian
http://www.sincitydatsuns.com
https://www.facebook.com/sincitydatsuns
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Welcome! I've seen this car somewhere... I recognize the stripe... but I just can't remember where (love the stripe BTW, I hope you plan to keep it). I'd take a close look at all the unreplaced cooling system hoses before I'd drive her too far! I see a GM one wire alternator that's spliced into some pretty questionable looking wiring... be careful! That wire can use the amp gauge as a fuse. I also wonder if maybe the rubber hose for the vacuum advance line is hooked up to the fitting on the rear carb? These are things someone new to the car may not see. I agree, the car has "the look". I look forward to the evolution of this Roadster adventure! We're here to help, and learn!
:smt006
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
SPL311-25411
Site Supporter

Post by SPL311-25411 »

Gregs672000 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:11 pm Welcome! I've seen this car somewhere... I recognize the stripe... but I just can't remember where (love the stripe BTW, I hope you plan to keep it). I'd take a close look at all the unreplaced cooling system hoses before I'd drive her too far! I see a GM one wire alternator that's spliced into some pretty questionable looking wiring... be careful! That wire can use the amp gauge as a fuse. I also wonder if maybe the rubber hose for the vacuum advance line is hooked up to the fitting on the rear carb? These are things someone new to the car may not see. I agree, the car has "the look". I look forward to the evolution of this Roadster adventure! We're here to help, and learn!
:smt006
Thank you gregs672000,

I bought it in Tacoma so it may have been to a meetup at some point after it was painted a grey silver and had the stripe painted. I’m keeping the stripe and the wheels, that’s what I fell in love with. Thanks for the advice. That wiring is def not okay so I will reroute and clean up. I checked that vacuum advance line and it is connected but very brittle. I’ll change it. There seems to have been a fire at some point near the carburetors so a lot of the wires and electronics on the D/S engine bay are melted. I’ll add a picture to the original post.
SPL311-25411
Site Supporter

Post by SPL311-25411 »

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I’m going to be developing some brake caliper brackets and possibly some custom hats for the front disc mod. I have 300Z calipers for the front and 240 rear. If anyone is interested, I may make a few.
I will document as much as possible on this site. When I make the conversion to electric, I will document everything. But first I want to play with carburetors. I’ve never had the chance.
My other project car will be converted to electric first. It is a project on pause for the moment as I get the Datsun running for the summer.
Mochi
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Mochi »

Welcome! there is a bunch of local roadster owners local to you. if you need a second hand or some parts for the roadster i got a garage and a she shed that is full of them. i might even have a straight door for you if you want.
SPL311-25411
Site Supporter

Post by SPL311-25411 »

Thanks Mochi. I've got a spare set of doors that came with it already. I need a roll bar if you have one. Looks like there was one at one time.
Florida Roadster
Site Supporter

Post by Florida Roadster »

Welcome, post lots of pics!
-Jeff-
1967.5 SPL311 Datsun Roadster 1600/2000 (Full Restoration Project)
1970 Triumph GT6+ (Full Restoration Project. Waiting up on the shelf.)
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Ah yes, now I remember... did the PO own several Smart cars and a Corvair? Sorry to see the passenger side is as damaged as it is but it looks like you have a replacement for it. Also, please tell me that Jack stand I see in one passenger side pic is on the frame and not the body... the first time I jacked up my car (before I bought it and without permission!) I jacked it up on the rocker out of ignorance and quickly identified my error as I heard things crack...
Yes, the wheels are great (assuming they fit and allow it to turn and not rub) and there's just something about the stripe... it's very similar if not the same to one I've seen on a friend's son's car in Oregon (Bill McDermott's son) so a replacement may be "out there" somewhere. Regardless, it can probably be reproduced.
How far are you planning to take this car, and (pardon me for asking) what's your budget/skill level? Back in the day, a Roadster was a very reasonable car to restore and you could often find people who were giving away parts cheap. Those days are pretty much gone as the popularity of the car has increased and parts have become more rare. I am not a rich man, so I'm thankful that I got most of my go-fast parts long ago, and that I'm not committed to a stock 67 2000 (mine was already cobbled up when I bought it, only I didn't know it) so I've always been free to mod it anyway I wanted. However, I've always been on a budget, and if you are I'd evaluate things very carefully for what must be replaced and what can be refurbished or does not have to be new (now?). The brake system is a perfect example... I see a new master cylinder that does not look stock but (should?) work (a real Roadster one is several hundred, while the 510 master that is slightly different and requires minor mods or adaptors was $15.00 on close out at Rockauto when I bought my back up, probably not anymore!). The calipers can be spendy as are the very nice kits people have put together. Many years ago and with some assistance I made my own that uses Toyota 4runner calipers and a Maxima vented disc, but I can't say if that would be more economical today (was cheaper and a big upgrade for me at the time). So, you get the idea. Sounds like you have some skills and experience... feel free to ask any question as the knowledge here on this site is outstanding and freely given.
BTW, since you modified and race a Scion, what do you know about these cars in general? Reason I ask is I must replace my 2006 Mazda 3 Hatch (totalled 11/25/22 in a head-on, car saved my life) and I'm considering Scion TCs from 2005 or so and up with a few miles (likely low-mid 100k)... anything I should watch for?
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
spriso
Vendor

Post by spriso »

Quote:
’m going to be developing some brake caliper brackets and possibly some custom hats for the front disc mod. I have 300Z calipers for the front and 240 rear. If anyone is interested, I may make a few.
If you want to save yourself some time and hassle, we have been selling 300ZX brake conversions for over 20-years-- we are based in Oregon as well!

http://spriso.com/our-products/datsun-r ... rake-kits/

Michael
Spriso Motorsports
http://www.spriso.com
Instagram https://instagram.com/spriso/
SR20 Powered Roadsters
Engine swap kits Available! See my website!
SPL311-25411
Site Supporter

Post by SPL311-25411 »

Gregs672000 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:44 pm Ah yes, now I remember... did the PO own several Smart cars and a Corvair?
Yes, that is the guy. He said he got it from a guy that was going to restore it but had to sell because he needed the money.
Gregs672000 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:44 pm How far are you planning to take this car, and (pardon me for asking) what's your budget/skill level?
I am going to make this car into a weekend racer and fun car for trips out to Hood River and Events. I'm not worried about making it look stock. My cars usually shed a lot of weight as I unbolt things I don't need and replace parts with lighter ones. My background is Power Electronics and Circuit Board Repair. I consider myself a beginner still but I have always fixed my own cars. Just replaced the clutch in my daily. Been doing brakes and suspension on most of my cars. Money is not a problem these days. Budget is large, but I like to do my own work. Body work will be done professionally as I lack the patience. My coworkers have serious CAD skills and access to CNC so I will tap that resource when needed.
Gregs672000 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:44 pm I see a new master cylinder that does not look stock but (should?) work (a real Roadster one is several hundred, while the 510 master that is slightly different and requires minor mods or adaptors was $15.00 on close out at Rockauto when I bought my back up, probably not anymore!). The calipers can be spendy as are the very nice kits people have put together.
I'm not sure what master cylinder that is and the guy I bought it from did the work. I'm hoping it works well enough. Crossing that bridge soon. I bought 300Z front calipers and 240 rear calipers, I think $100/set plus $30 core? I don't keep track of money spent on my cars very well.
Gregs672000 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:44 pm BTW, since you modified and race a Scion, what do you know about these cars in general? Reason I ask is I must replace my 2006 Mazda 3 Hatch (totalled 11/25/22 in a head-on, car saved my life) and I'm considering Scion TCs from 2005 or so and up with a few miles (likely low-mid 100k)... anything I should watch for?
Sorry to hear you lost your Mazda, but glad you survived. I lost my first Scion xA because someone sideswiped me on 205 and I hit the wall, it saved my life. Be careful of engines that have been modded with Turbos then put back to stock. The tC engine has oil consumption issues if the owner didn't do maintenance on time. Rear hatch handles are usually broken. Otherwise pretty decent reliable car. All parts on Scions are like the Datsuns/Nissans, they are Toyota's in the rest of the world. Parts are easy to find and inexpensive.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mochi
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Mochi »

SPL311-25411 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:16 am Thanks Mochi. I've got a spare set of doors that came with it already. I need a roll bar if you have one. Looks like there was one at one time.
bummer i dont have a roll bar for you.