Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

bajaroadster
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

ign switch options 67.5 1600 (updated)

Post by bajaroadster »

The ignition switch on my 67.5 1600 is in need of replacement. The original key is very worn and the switch rotation is becoming worrisome. Ive checked in the vendors list and found the total assembly for sale, but not just the switch itself. Based on members experience, should I try and source the switch itself, or bite the bullet and purchase the whole assembly.
Also, I noticed in the Wiki parts exchange section that the ignition switch assembly from the 79 thru 83 ZX will replace the switch. Has anybody used that part and can you comment on if there were any issues with compatibility?
One other question. I did not find a tutorial in the Wiki about replacing the entire locking assembly. Any tips or tricks that you can share would be appreciated.
ign switch.jpg
ign switch datsun.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bajaroadster on Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ive seen normal. It aint pretty.
bajaroadster

Re: ign switch options 67.5 1600

Post by bajaroadster »

I was able to find several older posts confirming that the 79 to 83 280ZX ignition switch assembly will bolt in to the 67.5 and located and ordered the part. Im still hoping for some advice for removing and replacing the switch. With the metal cage on both sides of the steering column around the switch, Im not seeing any way to access the fastening screws. Years ago, I replaced the ignition switch on a 68.On the later models you could drop the steering column down a few inches to facilitate removal. On my 67.5 the steering column runs THROUGH the dash as apposed to under the dash on my 68. I have no ideas on how to proceed without MAJOR dis-assembly. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
69roadster
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 2000

Re: ign switch options 67.5 1600

Post by 69roadster »

I can confirm that the 280zx switch will bolt up and work on the 67.5. I installed one on my 67.5 last summer without any issues.
bajaroadster

Re: ign switch options 67.5 1600 (updated)

Post by bajaroadster »

69 roadster, were you able to install it with the steering column in the car ?
69roadster
Roadster Fanatic

Post by 69roadster »

Yes, it took a bit of efforts but I got
I bend the metal bracket covering around the switch upward. This give me just enough room to remove the switch.
iloveredmeat
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by iloveredmeat »

Hi Baja!

It might take some serious yoga contortion, but I *think* you can remove the ignition assembly without removing the dash.

Here are some photos of the assembly on my 67.5 - with the dash removed - but that gives you a good idea of location and what's around it.

Two screws, unfortunately the heads are opposite of the key insert (at least on mine).

And some photos of a free-roaming assembly, so you can see where and how the screws attach the collar to the steering column.

I hope the images help you get a clear picture of what you're dealing with.

Good luck!

Hope all is well.
Peter
iloveredmeat wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:14 pm
As for the ignition switch... my understanding is that your situation is a not-unusual one. The 67.5s have an ignition switch that bolts onto the steering column and angles down at about 4:30-ish. They were the first (only?) one with a mechanical steering lock... a peg that shoots into the steering column when the key is turned to the Lock position. And this lock thing is prone to breakage, so people would put the ignition switch elsewhere. And maybe because it also is in a weird spot... but not nearly as awkward as it looks. It's cinchy to reach and use. It's also unique that it has a "Garage" position which isn't "On", but isn't Locked either.

Here are some photos of mine in my car and a spare in case mine doesn't work. You can see the peg on the spare photos.

Hope that helps.

Peter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peter
––
1967.5 1600 – Second Owner – Under Reconstruction
1970 Honda CT70
1953 Airstream 21' Flying Cloud – Second Owner
bajaroadster

Post by bajaroadster »

Thanks Peter. The biggest problem Im seeing is the metal "cage" that is on both sides of the switch assembly makes it impossible to get any tools on the screws to remove the assembly. The cage is spot welded in place as opposed to bolted in place so there is no possibility of removing them to access the screws. The cage doesnt seem to have any structual purpose but rather, it seems its only purpose, as far as I can tell, is to make the ignition assembly tamper proof. So, im considering how I might cut them or bend them out of the way. There is just no room or easy way to accomplish this. I was hoping someone might have some tips or tricks to share, but it looks like im just going to have to improvise.
69roadster
Roadster Fanatic

Post by 69roadster »

I used pliers to bend the "cage " upward to gain access to the screws. It is a bit of a challenge, but it is doable. If I remember correctly, the Sterling wheel wasn't installed when I did my. Tomorrow, I will get a few pictures. The car is up for the winter and is being blocked by another car. I didn't think it was possible to install the switch with the dash and column in place either, but a member told me about the bending the :cage " trick.
bajaroadster

Post by bajaroadster »

69 roadster, By bending the cage up on the drivers side today i was able to get the fasteners out on the drivers side .Because of the angle of the ignition switch assembly, it is still making it difficult to get to the two on the passenger side. to make matters worse, the phillips head screw on the passenger side is worn to the extent that a screwdriver wont back it out. Not to mention that the break away fastener has no way to get a tool on it to back it out. I used a dremel tool on the drivers side break away fastener to create a grove for a standard screwdriver and was able to back it out, but there is not enough room on the passenger side to get a dremel or a screwdriver. Im still trying to figure out a solution.
iloveredmeat
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by iloveredmeat »

I'm glad you've at least made some progress. Well done, and good luck with the rest!
Peter
––
1967.5 1600 – Second Owner – Under Reconstruction
1970 Honda CT70
1953 Airstream 21' Flying Cloud – Second Owner
bajaroadster

Post by bajaroadster »

Loveredmeat, I was finally able to get the old switch out. Waiting on delivery of the new part. I hope to never have to do that particular chore on another roadster again! As for mine, I'm removing a good portion of the cage while I have the ignition assembly out. Future owners will not have the same problem.