Flasher switch ground?

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

camronware

Flasher switch ground?

Post by camronware »

So I think I did a bad thing -

When I was putting the radio/switch console back in I guess something got bumped and the hazards quit working. I found a loose wire (looks like a ground, it it NOT a part of the plastic connection on the harness) coming off the hazard switch. Where does this go? (I have taken the radio out)
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

do you have the wiring schematic?http://shiftco.com/features/wiring/wiring_02.pdf

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
camronware

Post by camronware »

yep, and all 5 wires coming out of the switch go into the harness as they should. But I've got this lose wire just hanging out, and I have no idea where it goes..
All i know is that now my flashers and blinkers don't work :?
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

What color is the wire and what is on the end, female terminal, male terminal, or loop?

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
garth
Roadster Enthusiast
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by garth »

Camron

According to the schematic I have for a 68, if the wire is Green/white it should connect to your flasher. If it is just green it should connect to both the front and tail signals probably in the middle of one of the harnesses under the dash.

What colour is the wire and how long is it?

Hope this sheds some light on your problem.

Garth
Garth
_________
68' 2000
camronware

Post by camronware »

Well ok...let me get a pic.
camronware

Post by camronware »

Ok, when I took the switch out to check it I ended up breaking the metal tabs, so another one is in the mail. But there is the unknown wire. That female spade connector. The E-tape was me extending that wire so I could try and ground it, which ended up shorting something out I guess...
I'm kinda lost, but I know I did something that it did not like. :)

The flashers are only about a month old, could those have fried if that wire isn't supposed to be a ground?
All fuses are fine...all lights come on from other switches, ie, braking, marker lights, headlights...all come on fine.

There's how it all hooks up. The harness up top connects to the main harness under the heater controls.
camronware

Post by camronware »

Hey Garth, our cars are only 50 away from each other...neat.

numbers 5020 and 4970
garth
Roadster Enthusiast
Model: 2000

Post by garth »

Did you check the 20A fuse for the Hazards?

I think the unidentified wire is not related to your problem and should be connected to the "service brake switch" Check the switch, it only has two wires a yellow wire and a black wire.

Back to the fuse. The fuse for the hazards is not on the fuse block but appears to be located near the flasher. If the fuse is Ok you should have 12 volts on the green/white wire on the connector with the hazard switch in the off position.

I'd check my car but it is literally in a million pieces.

Yeah, thats cool that our roadsters are close "siblings". Hopefully some day they'll get a chance to meet visit!

Hope this helps
Garth
_________
68' 2000
camronware

Post by camronware »

The hazard fuse if ok, and I'm not where the wire could connect to on the S-brake switch. The two wires for the S-brake feed into the harness as they should I believe. I'm still waiting for my new hazard switch, hopefully that's all it is. Any other ideas?
itsa68
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600

Post by itsa68 »

The power wire (with fuse) for the flasher was taped up within the wire bundle at the steering column on my 68.
My car did not come with a flasher, so I had to run this wire into the connector for the flasher.
I think I also had to solder on or move a wire on the flasher that I had .
Thats not a R16 death rattle....its a dried leaf hitting my heater blower fan.
1968 SPL311 non-smog
camronware

Post by camronware »

well somehow the switch got fried. I swapped the new one in and everything is fixed! Cool...