Latest Update Details If You Care to Read

Moderators: S Allen, Solex68

S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Latest Update Details If You Care to Read

Post by S Allen »

So for anyone interested here are the details of what happened over the last few days. Under normal circumstances the forum updates are pretty straight forward and only take a few hours at best. Update steps short form.

1. Download the update complete package, unzip and remove a few folders and files
2. Disable the board
3. Backup the database
4. Remove a couple of folders from the disabled forum
5. Upload the new package to the website
6. Use back-end tools to update to the database to match the new version

Did all of this and ended up with either a blank screen or an HTTP 500 error "cannot be found"

Holy crap--not good.

During this I was in my back-end control panel on the server. Some updates were available there so I decided to run them. Turned out to be a very bad idea as that update broke things on the back-end which made my problems even worse. The update broke a few tools I use to manage the forum on the back-end. Took me a good day to get that sorted out. The stress level was pretty elevated by then.

Back to the forum a day later. There are extensions that are installed that add things to the forum such as the Site Logo as an example. There are quite a few of these installed on the forum. I found several that were out of date and needed updated. I still need to finish sorting that out. Extensions that are broken or not compatible with the new version cause the blank white page.

I thought I had everything forum wise sorted day 2 so I ran the database update. I went back to the forum to enable and bring it back online. I then discovered that most of the topics were missing throwing the following error--"Information-- the requested topic cannot be found" Holy crap 20 years of discussion up in smoke. I reloaded the previous version thinking I could back out but still had the same problem. Needless to say I was pretty bummed by then and I admit a bit panicked.

Day 3 I took a few hours off to figure out a new plan of attack. Thank goodness I had a good backup of the database from before this all started. A fresh install would be my only hope out of this mess. Last night I wiped out all of the files on the forum website and uploaded the new package again. Did a restore of the database and still had a blank screen. I went into the extensions and disabled all of them except for two-one being Site Logo and
we were back in business. Like I said I still need to sort the extensions out but I can do that without taking the forum down.

I know a few folks complain about the forum being archaic and out dated but I disagree with that. That is why I try to keep the software updated. Some folks have problems uploading pictures to the site. If I had unlimited storage I could probably allow the mega-pixel photos from phones and cameras. I do not have unlimited storage. If I did not care I could have thrown in the towel and walked away yesterday. Someone is more than welcome to start another forum and I will bow out. 311s.org is not Facebook and never will be. FB is not my cup of tea.

I could do what Rising Sun Racing did and just stop supporting it and let it die. I did offer the owner to move his old forum to my host just to keep the data alive. I did get everything setup on my end but he quit responding to me. I realize things become more and more useless as time goes by but I still believe 311s.org provides a valuable resource for any one owning or thinking about buying a Datsun Roadster.

Sorry for the novel. And I thank those whom choose to participate. Glad to be back.

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
Curtis
Site Supporter

Re: Latest Update Details If You Care to Read

Post by Curtis »

Get rid of the forum and I might as well sell the damn cars. Let someone else go through the pain of blindly figuring the stuff out.

The web deity Stave Allen.
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
Alvin
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by Alvin »

Thank you Steve and Happy New Year!
S Allen wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:10 pm
I know a few folks complain about the forum being archaic and out dated but I disagree with that.
IMHO those folks that complain, especially without offering a solution, do not belong here.

S Allen wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:10 pm
If I did not care I could have thrown in the towel and walked away yesterday. Someone is more than welcome to start another forum and I will bow out. 311s.org is not Facebook and never will be. FB is not my cup of tea. I realize things become more and more useless as time goes by but I still believe 311s.org provides a valuable resource for any one owning or thinking about buying a Datsun Roadster.
Myself and others prefer 311s.org over FB. Please do not compare 311s to FB. So glad you did not walk away!
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
iloveredmeat

Post by iloveredmeat »

Steve, sorry to hear of the mess, what a huge bummer.

THANK YOU for sticking it out and spending the time and effort to keep it going.

I would be nowhere without this forum... I guess I actually still kinda am, so I guess I would be even more 'nowhere-er' without this forum.

I'm sure it seems thankless sometimes, but please know that I personally thank you for your effort... and I know many others who feel the same way.

Thanks again for your dedication to this forum. It's invaluable.
Peter
Peter
––
1967.5 1600 – Second Owner – Under Reconstruction
1970 Honda CT70
1953 Airstream 21' Flying Cloud – Second Owner
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Wow Steve, like most things on the net I just kinda expect it will be there, and over time I become generally unaware of the considerable effort, time and expertise it requires to keep this family alive. I'm sure I speak for everyone here in genuinely thanking you for your significant dedication and the mental fortitude expended on our behalf to keep this wonderful site alive. I too HATE Facebook, and while I'm sure there's a community there, the incredible wealth of knowledge and comradeship we have developed here at 311s.org is bar none, and that's only possible because of folks like you. THANK YOU STEVE. I cannot do what you do. You make a difference in my life and I GREATLY appreciate that. Its a New Year... time to donate again!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Bwk2000
Roadsteraholic
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Bwk2000 »

Curtis wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:30 pm Get rid of the forum and I might as well sell the damn cars. Let someone else go through the pain of blindly figuring the stuff out.

The web deity Steve Allen.
+1
Was thinking the same thing.
Thanks Steve!
Kai
Halifax, N.S.
’69 SPL311 Sports 1600

Classic Cars - Because clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.
Mattk
Model: 2000

Post by Mattk »

Steve,
I would just like to simply say,

Thank you.

Thank you for doing the mystical web magic you do, and giving a place to share our love of this little car!

Thank you again
MattK
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Thanks for posting a behind the scenes example of what you have been facing for years! It really helps demonstrate the time effort and patience (along with a healthy tech acumen) that we tend to take for granted. Thank you!
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
SPL311-25411
Site Supporter

Post by SPL311-25411 »

I just found this site and this is my first post. Your site and forum is an invaluable resource for me as I get to know my new-to-me Datsun SPL311. Thanks for the years of updates to the software and keeping this resource alive.
'69 Datsun 1600 Roadster (Basket-Case)
'06 Scion xA (Daily and track car)
'85 Toyota MR2 (Basket-Case Converting to Electric)
C.Costine

Post by C.Costine »

I am overdue to make my annual donation but I can't find the place on the site to do it.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn