Windshield installation

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Ali_in_UK
Roadster Newby

Windshield installation

Post by Ali_in_UK »

Hi Guys,
Apologies that I have not been on here for a while too many other projects and house move has stalled things now hoping to get things moving again and the next little job!! I wanted to do was the installation of the windshield I have heard and read that there are two ways of fitting the screen either fitting the chrome trim to the rubber surround first off the car or fitting rubber surround onto car then glass then the chrome surround I know it takes two people which is fine I have a very understanding partner and since I have done most things restoring my roadster I feel that I should have a go at this task, so hope someone can give me a few pointers as to the best way forward on this one ( my roadster is a 1970 high windshield 1600 model).
And something else just a month before we sold our farm and downsized to a smaller one in Wales which is a little less populated than where we were living I spotted a nice little 1964 red Datsun 1500 3 seater for sale on the online 'carandclassic' website for a very reasonable price having been in storage for the last 20 years she was in remarkable condition had everything on her just needs a respray, brakes sorted etc and a Datsun 1500 rear badge only problem it was in Berlin Germany anyway took the risk deposit paid and a week later delivered by a Polish guy who could speak a word of English and car looked even better in the flesh, so think I have the Roadster bug and surprisingly she appears to be a very early one 00012.
Anyway cheers for now guys
Al
MattC
Roadster Fanatic

Re: Windshield installation

Post by MattC »

Congrats on the new find...sounds amazing!
Matt

1970 2000 #14204
2004 350Z Roadster
2014 Tundra

Williamsville, NY
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Woo hoo on the 1500, that's Great! My wife and I love England, I'm supposedly half Welsh, we love Roadsters... so, we decided were going to come live with you on the farm, putter around with cars n cows or whatever animals or gardens you have going, and gossip about the Royals round the farm stove. OK, I'm glad we agree... sounds great... see you soon! :wink:
:smt006
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
sfdaugherty
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by sfdaugherty »

I install the stainless trim on the rubber first and then put it on the windshield. Use lots of tape to hold it in as you work around. It is a REAL pain in my opinion.
69 2000 SRL311-10088 (Type 4 Solexes)
68 SR20DE SPL311-18735 (SR20DE S15 Autech)
68 2000 SRL311-01179 (Restoration underway)
68 1600 SPL311-20462 SOLD! After 41 years in the family
GoldHawg
Roadsteraholic

Post by GoldHawg »

When I helped my friend David finish his install of the flat dash conversion on his 69, one of the best moves I made was finding an old school guy from Columbus Oh to drive over toward Dayton to do it. He was a master and boy did he struggle. I would have so hated life if we'd have tried to do that. Best $200 we spent on the build (including add'l service fee for his mileage).
mwegener111
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by mwegener111 »

I followed these instruction a couple months ago, and it worked perfect. Took about two hours and you definitely need two people

viewtopic.php?p=237517&hilit=windshield ... ss#p237517

Good Luck!
redroadster
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600

Post by redroadster »

How tough is the seal ? Even heated they can be tough , I've assisted in the string border pull method . If you have to insert in seal on car

King George III is my great grand dad 6th
King Fred Bill Prussia my 5th GGF married his daughter
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
Ali_in_UK
Roadster Newby

Post by Ali_in_UK »

Thanks for your replies will give that a go with my little helper just have to get the old girl (the car) out of storage and transport up to Wales hopefully in February I am originally from Scotland so moving to Wales is a bit like the Scottish Highlands beautiful countryside and some great driving roads can't wait one of my Roadsters on the road.
Hope all you guys have a great Xmas and New Year though weather sounds a bit scary in parts of your country so stay safe.
Al
Dreymar
Roadster Nut
Model: 2000

Post by Dreymar »

mwegener111 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:18 am I followed these instruction a couple months ago, and it worked perfect. Took about two hours and you definitely need two people

viewtopic.php?p=237517&hilit=windshield ... ss#p237517

Good Luck!
Looks like a good guide there. I'll pass that on to my uncle for 1500 he is looking at. It needs a new windshield and some interior parts. We'll take a closer at it after we finished installing the suspension and shocks from 4Wheelonline this week.