Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

bchen
Roadster Newby
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Master cylinder not pumping fluid to front brakes

Post by bchen »

I recently bought my 1970 roadster.

I knew the brakes needed work when I bought it. I was able to bleed the rear brakes, but nothing comes out of either front brake bleeder. I then disconnected the front brake line at the brake distribution / brake junction block (photo below).
IMG_0553.jpeg
Pumping the brakes didn't make anything come out of that connection either.

I bought a replacement dual master cylinder from SinCityDatsun, swapped that in, and bled the master cylinder in place: installed master cylinder, attached tubes from the bleeder valves on the sides that emptied back into the cylinder, pumped brakes until fluid was bubble free. Strangely, only the rear reservoir drained. The reservoir closer to the firewall that controls the front brakes never pumped any fluid out of its bleeder valve. Fluid level on that front reservoir also did not drop.

I'm scratching my head...

Any ideas / advice on what's going on and what I should try next?

Thanks!

Bernard
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bernard Chen
1970 Roadster 1600
redroadster
Roadsteraholic

Re: Master cylinder not pumping fluid to front brakes

Post by redroadster »

Sure you pressed it fully
It pressurized the rear brakes 50-70 % before the frt brake side starts flowing
Possibly the seal stuck at the bottom of travel
I've connected a line from rears to front and pressured it loose , otherwise they sent a defective part
Some remans place cosmoline or something very close to it that is best to use naphtha, acetone to free it up , the old VW stuff noted for this
Last edited by redroadster on Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
Habitat.pat
Roadsteraholic
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Habitat.pat »

Bernard, if you just loosen the bleed on the front wheel master cylinder does any fluid leak out? It should. If not, try removing the bleed screw completely.

Peace,
Pat
67.5 SPL311 Stroker Restomod
Pat Horne, Near Austin, TX
We support Habitat for Humanity
A hand UP, not a hand OUT
unklpat
Roadster Fanatic

Post by unklpat »

Also, you might want to remove the caliper bleeders, and the steel balls. They could be rusted in place. Speed bleeder part #3824HD will be your new best friend. Trust me. Pat
Solex68
Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by Solex68 »

I'd contact SinCityDatsun as they are great to work with and super knowledgeable. I'm sure they help you figure it out.
Greg a.k.a SOLEX68 - http://www.datsunvents.com/
Laguna Hills, CA
68 2000
Always willing to help another Datsun Roadster owner
Pending installs: SS brake lines, Stan Stealth Dizzy
bchen
Roadster Newby

Post by bchen »

Habitat.pat wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:29 pm Bernard, if you just loosen the bleed on the front wheel master cylinder does any fluid leak out? It should. If not, try removing the bleed screw completely.

Peace,
Pat
I tried what Pat suggested - removed the bleeder valve, pumped the brakes, and no fluid came out! Educational. There's something about the new master cylinder.

So I took apart the old master cylinder, made sure there was no pitting, cleaned the parts, reassembled it, and installed it. That worked! Bled all four lines. Also bled the clutch fluid while I was in the mood.

Will try to drive the car tomorrow!
Bernard Chen
1970 Roadster 1600
Loy
Roadster Nut

Post by Loy »

I had this same issue. The rears would bleed fine. I had to “bench bleed” it first for it to work per the instructions. DOH! It took a while to figure this out as it was unlike any other master cylinder I’ve done before. After doing this everything worked…
jasmith1975
Roadster Nut

Post by jasmith1975 »

unklpat wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:43 pm Also, you might want to remove the caliper bleeders, and the steel balls. They could be rusted in place. Speed bleeder part #3824HD will be your new best friend. Trust me. Pat
Do you know if the Dorman 12701 Speed Bleeders will work? Goodridge are twice the cost and a longer lead time. Of course I waited to order and need them yesterday. :-?
Loy wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:13 am I had this same issue. The rears would bleed fine. I had to “bench bleed” it first for it to work per the instructions. DOH! It took a while to figure this out as it was unlike any other master cylinder I’ve done before. After doing this everything worked…
I have an issue where the brake pedal goes to the floor (brake dash light came on). Thankfully I noticed before driving, but couldn't find any leaks. Puzzling. I decided to change out the rubber hoses as they looked original and were pretty dry rotted. That's done (finally) and I'm ready to bleed the master cylinder (on the car) and then the brake lines. Any insight how to go about tackling the M/C as there's no brake fluid in the lines or reservoirs? I've only bled brake lines before, not a M/C, and appreciate any tips.
'68 Datsun 2000
Wannabe mechanic near Buffalo, NY
redroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by redroadster »

Get the MC pumping with both lines unhooked
They make clear vinyl tubing to do that or a steel one if you find the right thread ,with the lines going back to the MC reservoir and pump until no bubbles , sounds like you un centered the safety switch , once you get a firm pedal it may center or you let the opposite side barely open and push/ center it back u til you do fluid won't flow on closed side
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
redroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by redroadster »

Get th. Duplicate
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
jasmith1975
Roadster Nut

Post by jasmith1975 »

redroadster wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:57 pm Get the MC pumping with both lines unhooked
They make clear vinyl tubing to do that or a steel one if you find the right thread ,with the lines going back to the MC reservoir and pump until no bubbles , sounds like you un centered the safety switch , once you get a firm pedal it may center or you let the opposite side barely open and push/ center it back u til you do fluid won't flow on closed side
Thanks for the advice. Hoping you can help with a few more noob questions.

- when bleeding the MC, can I leave brake lines connected and hook up hoses to the bleeder valves with other ends going back into resevoir?

- re: safety switch, is that the proportioning valve? What do you mean by "let the opposite side barely open and push/center it back"? I haven't look too closely at that and it may make sense after I do.
'68 Datsun 2000
DatsunNoob
Roadster Nut
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by DatsunNoob »

jasmith1975 said: "- when bleeding the MC, can I leave brake lines connected and hook up hoses to the bleeder valves with other ends going back into resevoir?"

Short answer is 'yes'.....long and correct answer is 'NO'. You need to get the M/C cleared of all air and the piston centred front to rear. That's what you will accomplish doing just the M/C first. Then, reconnect the brake lines and bleed all 4 wheels, right rear, left rear, right front, left front - longest run to shortest run of the brake lines.

The reason you don't want to try and run lines back to the m/c from the bleeder valves is that bleeding may introduce air into the system and that's a really, really long run of the drainage system to get it all out. It MIGHT work but personally if I did it, it would only be an experiment to see if it works and I would properly bleed the system before driving the car.
John
redroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by redroadster »

Get the MC BLED fully 1st ( before hooking up brake lines to it ,the easyest way by far )
You almost always have no air in the lines ,if you had good brakes , trying to bleed thru the calipers with air in the MC , can cause the safety switch to un center, which many times is a pain to get back
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
jasmith1975
Roadster Nut

Post by jasmith1975 »

DatsunNoob wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:43 pm jasmith1975 said: "- when bleeding the MC, can I leave brake lines connected and hook up hoses to the bleeder valves with other ends going back into resevoir?"

Short answer is 'yes'.....long and correct answer is 'NO'. You need to get the M/C cleared of all air and the piston centred front to rear. That's what you will accomplish doing just the M/C first. Then, reconnect the brake lines and bleed all 4 wheels, right rear, left rear, right front, left front - longest run to shortest run of the brake lines.

The reason you don't want to try and run lines back to the m/c from the bleeder valves is that bleeding may introduce air into the system and that's a really, really long run of the drainage system to get it all out. It MIGHT work but personally if I did it, it would only be an experiment to see if it works and I would properly bleed the system before driving the car.
Thanks for the tip. I disconnected the brake lines at the MC and will bleed that first. Just need to grab a bleeder kit and get to work. To clarify my earlier question, I was asking about hooking up hoses to the bleeder valves on side of the MC and running them back to resevoirs. I might have to buy stock in clear tubing to run them from each wheel. 🤣
redroadster wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:16 pm Get the MC BLED fully 1st ( before hooking up brake lines to it ,the easyest way by far )
You almost always have no air in the lines ,if you had good brakes , trying to bleed thru the calipers with air in the MC , can cause the safety switch to un center, which many times is a pain to get back
Brakes are good, but pedal went to the floor after sitting for several months. Hoping it was just a dry rotted hose. Bleeding MC then brake lines will be the test. Also hoping the rear hose never has to be changed again in my lifetime. Lol
Last edited by jasmith1975 on Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
'68 Datsun 2000
jasmith1975
Roadster Nut

Post by jasmith1975 »

Update: I disconnected the brake lines from the MC and installed hose barbs and hoses, routing them back inside the reservoirs (MC still on the car, btw). Filled reservoirs with brake fluid and slowly (fully) pumped the pedal a few times. Rear seems to cycle fluid through the hose but not seeing the same for the front. With the front, I see fluid start to move up the hose when depressing the pedal but then stops and goes backward as the pedal is further depressed.

I snugged up the hose barb and confirmed the hose was firmly pushed on the barb with no kinks in the hose.

Is this a sign of a bad MC or am I doing something wrong? Some earlier posts mentioned having the same problem and resolved with bench bleeding or disassembling/cleaning/reassembling. Btw, side MC bleeder valves are fully closed.

Appreciate the help!
'68 Datsun 2000