Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

redroadster
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Master cylinder not pumping fluid to front brakes

Post by redroadster »

I pump it slow let it slow 10 xs and that usually bleeds it , the forward cyl/ reservoir is rear brakes back to frt.
Pedal goes to floor ? Dot3 fluid ?

The piston can seize in the cyl
The aluminum will corrode if dry alot of times
But it's not functioning , could blow a quick burst of compressed air in the exit port
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
jasmith1975
Roadster Nut
Model: 2000

Post by jasmith1975 »

redroadster wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:10 pm I pump it slow let it slow 10 xs and that usually bleeds it , the forward cyl/ reservoir is rear brakes back to frt.
Pedal goes to floor ? Dot3 fluid ?

The piston can seize in the cyl
The aluminum will corrode if dry alot of times
But it's not functioning , could blow a quick burst of compressed air in the exit port
Update #2: we now have working brakes :smt023 Thank you for the help and tips along the way. I'm not 100% sure what the issue was, but a good bench bleed solved the problem. Before that I replaced the rubber hoses as they looked pretty dry rotted (although didn't see any leaks). I went with Raybestos BH36737 (stamped Sunsong) per the TechWiki and they fit great. The female ends are shorter than OEM Nissan so I didn't reuse the hose indexing clips but secured the hose with just the brake clips. BTW, flare nuts suck. A LOT of penetrant (PB, Liquid Wrench, etc), heat, good line wrenches and patience was needed to free them up. I can also confirm the Dorman 12701 Speed Bleeders are a good alternative to the Goodridge SB3824.

Although there's good info in the TechWiki already, here are the steps I took to bleed the Tokico dual circuit MC on a '68 2000. For some reason bleeding it on the car didn't work:

1. Drain all brake fluid from MC (a turkey baster or fluid transfer hose works)
2. Remove clevis pin, clip and pedal return spring to disconnect MC pushrod from brake pedal. Tip: secure a bungee cord between the brake pedal and steering wheel to keep pedal off the floor or brake lights will stay on
3. Disconnect two hard lines from bottom of MC with 11mm line wrench
4. Remove 2 nuts and washers securing MC to firewall with 13mm wrench. A small 1/4" socket and ratchet helps with the bottom nut. The top nut is a little tricky and tucked behind the front brake reservoir. Loosen the reservoir clamp and turn reservoir 90 degrees for better access with a open ended wrench.
5. Remove MC from the car being careful not to catch/bend the brake lines. Pay attention to any shims for remounting to the firewall.
6. Clamp MC snug in a vise with blocks of wood to protect it from the jaws. Install 3/8"-24 hose barbs where brake lines were disconnected and attach 1/4" clear tubing routed back up into the correct reservoirs. The Dorman 14151 MC bleeder kit works great for this.
7. Add new brake fluid (I used Prestone Dot 4) to the reservoirs then slowly/fully move the pushrod in and out until there are no more bubbles. Tip: slide a sturdy screwdriver through end of the pushrod to help move plunger.
8. Attach another 1/4" clear tube to the side bleeder valve routing to the correct reservoir. Open valve and again move the pushrod, slowly in and out until there are no bubbles. You can keep the tubes from step 6 attached when doing this. I did each bleeder valve separately, but you can probably do them both at once. When there's no more bubbles, you're done.
9. Tighten bleeder valves, remove tubes and it's ready to go back on the car. I kept the hose barbs and tubes to the reservoirs connected to transport and reinstall. Don't forget to keep the reservoirs topped off when bleeding the brakes.
Last edited by jasmith1975 on Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'68 Datsun 2000
Wannabe mechanic near Buffalo, NY
MattC
Roadster Fanatic

Post by MattC »

Thanks Jared!!
Matt

1970 2000 #14204
2004 350Z Roadster
2014 Tundra

Williamsville, NY
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Thanks for posting your detailed solution... that kind of info at the end of a thread is always appreciated.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Loy
Roadster Nut

Post by Loy »

Glad everything workedout!
RonnyB
Roadster Newby

Post by RonnyB »

What is your recommendation regarding the brake safety switch? Do I need a tool to block one side at a time? If so, where is it available?
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

I'm not aware of anything special that needs to be done with the switch, but then again I've never had one! Might check the online manual in the wiki and see if anything is mentioned.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Solex68
Site Supporter

Post by Solex68 »

Thanks for the thorough write up Jared.
Greg a.k.a SOLEX68 - http://www.datsunvents.com/
Laguna Hills, CA
68 2000
Always willing to help another Datsun Roadster owner
Pending installs: SS brake lines, Stan Stealth Dizzy
Dster
Roadster Nut

Post by Dster »

Is there a side bleeder valve??? I just did the bottom two- did I miss something? Thx!
redroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by redroadster »

I'd try filling the frt.line with fluid then have it in the tank ,also it sometimes helps to pump it rapidly ,or try remove the line going back to the tank and hold your finger over it ,so as it has to draw fluid or it it seized you need 2 people to accomplish this , bleed both lines at the same time which let's the pistons go to the very end
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster