Discuss engine swap details here!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

mojorising84
Roadster Newby
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Nissan Leaf Powertrain Swap

Post by mojorising84 »

So after some research into the leaf powertrain I have a more cohesive proposal for the layout:
1. Use the entire motor and transaxle from the leaf.
2. Take the inverter and power electronics off the top and mount them in front of the mechanical bits. (Could be to the main frame as I think the only connections are wires? Hard to tell exactly)
3. Build a sturdy subframe (probably some x shaped which attaches to the frame at the front and rear spring mounts either side, they will need to be reinforced.) which houses the mechanical drive train parts.
4. Bolt a semi-trailing arm suspension (from an 80s bmw for example) to the front legs of the subframe.
5. Replace the damper bar on the frame with something more substantial and bolt the top of the coilovers from the trailing arms to it.
6. Best to strengthen the top shock mount points by using them as triangulation mounts from the roll bar.

Hope that isn't too confusing of a description. Also I in no way promise that the packaging will work out exactly as I have envisioned as there will for sure be a lot of trial and error to get it right.
Cheers,
David

70 Roadster Project Car
86 BMW 528E Daily Project
mschel
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Nissan Leaf Powertrain Swap

Post by mschel »

I started down this path as well but the used battery packs were just too expensive for me considering the runtime.

I did find this video on test running the motor on standard ac in test mode that might be helpful if you have not already seen it:

https://youtu.be/hhMhxcjdAh8?si=CfMn4Djpzsp-5RxD

I also found the ford cmax energi packs are pretty neat and while very low range they would also be a good source to build a small pack to get started.

I ended up buying a few of the individual packs to build 13s2p packs for a whole other non automotive project.

There are some on ebay here and there and also on this site which is a great site to find a variety of packs etc.

https://www.car-part.com/

Hope that is of some help.