Discuss engine swap details here!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

BAMUZ
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: After time, deliberation it’s the vg30

Post by BAMUZ »

The first fit, had to remove the alternator and the exhaust manifold. I’m hoping to not need to cut on the body
Though it does seem the frame will need to be tubed—still have about 3 inches to come down and 3 inches to go back.
Does seem as the drift shaft will fit right to the z31 trans.
Though the ring will need to be cut off the roadster drivetrain to get them to be compatible.
Looking at some pictures of other’s vg swaps seemed like they didn’t have to cut to fit the plenum
Also seen where some have used gen 3 maxima plenums that have a front exit for the intake
Though the swaps in the pics didn’t change the intake except the yellow roadster.
Much more research and figuring out to get accomplished!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
70 1600 #29574
68 1600 #18273
My Roadster Builds viewtopic.php?t=37670
16 Promaster 1500
23 Santa Fe
04 Colorado
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Regarding the intake, the import JDM engine I had used a different intake (maybe like or the same as the Maxima?)... as I recall it was lower than the US version.
MS3 Gold eh? My standard does a great job with all the simple systems I need to run. Been very happy with it. Gonna tune on TunerStudio? I've spent some time with that program, and megalog viewer... be happy to help if I can.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
BAMUZ
Roadster Fanatic

Post by BAMUZ »

Gregs672000 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:58 pm Regarding the intake, the import JDM engine I had used a different intake (maybe like or the same as the Maxima?)... as I recall it was lower than the US version.
MS3 Gold eh? My standard does a great job with all the simple systems I need to run. Been very happy with it. Gonna tune on TunerStudio? I've spent some time with that program, and megalog viewer... be happy to help if I can.
I have been hunting for a gen 3 maxima plenum for a few days with no luck. I’ve seen some pictures and it does make it look like an ls but would give some considerable room to work with on the firewall.
I mention ms3 simply due to it seems to be what the vg fellas are running. Is the standard called the megasquirt standard? I’m brand new to the world of aftermarket Ecu. Definitely open to suggestions / recommendations! And I did plan to go with tunerstudio, there too I am open to suggestions / recommendations!
70 1600 #29574
68 1600 #18273
16 Promaster 1500
23 Santa Fe
04 Colorado
Alvin
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by Alvin »

DanR's VG30E thread:
He may be of assistance!
http://311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t= ... 5d3ca434da

Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
BAMUZ
Roadster Fanatic

Post by BAMUZ »

Alvin wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:45 am DanR's VG30E thread:
He may be of assistance!
http://311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t= ... 5d3ca434da

Thanks Alvin, I PM’d him!

I’m really interested to find someone who is active on the forum that has a z31 vg and how they made the plenum work and the steering rod! It’s a tight space!
70 1600 #29574
68 1600 #18273
16 Promaster 1500
23 Santa Fe
04 Colorado
Alvin
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by Alvin »

Lenny Sprague's:
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
BAMUZ
Roadster Fanatic

Post by BAMUZ »

Alvin wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:37 pm Lenny Sprague's:
I can appreciate the intake haha! I understand why he would choose to do that!
Worked on it a bit today, have definitely crossed the point of no return. The trans Mount lines up perfectly with the z’s trans, mounts right on it. So had to cut the tunnel for the gear shifter about two inches. Which is totally fine with me—feels very comfortable. Also cut the crossmember underneath the pulley system. Completed some cutting, was going to snap a picture, however my phone took the room temperature challenge haha!

Also, cut the sleeve from the driveshaft, cleaned it up and it lines up perfectly with the trans from the z31, has the same amount of bite. Next is to figure out the motor mount situation and the headers!

Something I learned today that might be good for someone one day. The 84 engine is the only z31 engine with top feed injectors :smt002
70 1600 #29574
68 1600 #18273
16 Promaster 1500
23 Santa Fe
04 Colorado
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

The Nissan manifold shown above is the same as I was referring to, though mine was a turbo motor.

The Microsquirt V3 is a simpler version of Megasquirt that uses a separate MAP sensor where as it's built into the Megasquirt. It has a smaller footprint and probably does not have as many features but I didn't need any. I suggest you review the various sites and see what the main differences are. For example, I don't need anything to talk to a system that increases idle when cold, or increases rpm when an AC system comes on as in many modern cars... you probably won't either. The Microsquirt V3 runs injectors, throttle positioning sensor (TPS), manifold pressure (MAP), water temp, intake air temperature, O2 sensor signal from a wideband, crank position sensor, and your timing map (that you will create based on RPM and load... very important). TunerStudio will program the unit based on the info you input (many parameters but it's step by step) and allows you to tune based on MAP or TPS or both. It has an auto-tune feature that works pretty well that will get you in the ballpark at various rpm and loads. Understanding all of this is a steep learning curve but it makes sense after some time. Megalogviewer is an important program to have so you can data log your drives and identify areas where it's not doing what you want (goes lean on acceleration for example so you can increase injector output...). I'm no expert but I can help, and there are many YouTube videos. You MUST have good electrical connections and follow wiring instructions or pay the price, and ANY garbage signals in will create garbage tuning maps. You will also want a (dedicated?) laptop to tune on in the car and while driving... I bought a used one dedicated for this only... does not have to be fancy or super fast. Do your research and ask lots of questions from those who have gone before you, especially VG30 folks.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
BAMUZ
Roadster Fanatic

Post by BAMUZ »

Gregs672000 wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:18 pm The Nissan manifold shown above is the same as I was referring to, though mine was a turbo motor.

The Microsquirt V3 is a simpler version of Megasquirt that uses a separate MAP sensor where as it's built into the Megasquirt. It has a smaller footprint and probably does not have as many features but I didn't need any. I suggest you review the various sites and see what the main differences are. For example, I don't need anything to talk to a system that increases idle when cold, or increases rpm when an AC system comes on as in many modern cars... you probably won't either. The Microsquirt V3 runs injectors, throttle positioning sensor (TPS), manifold pressure (MAP), water temp, intake air temperature, O2 sensor signal from a wideband, crank position sensor, and your timing map (that you will create based on RPM and load... very important). TunerStudio will program the unit based on the info you input (many parameters but it's step by step) and allows you to tune based on MAP or TPS or both. It has an auto-tune feature that works pretty well that will get you in the ballpark at various rpm and loads. Understanding all of this is a steep learning curve but it makes sense after some time. Megalogviewer is an important program to have so you can data log your drives and identify areas where it's not doing what you want (goes lean on acceleration for example so you can increase injector output...). I'm no expert but I can help, and there are many YouTube videos. You MUST have good electrical connections and follow wiring instructions or pay the price, and ANY garbage signals in will create garbage tuning maps. You will also want a (dedicated?) laptop to tune on in the car and while driving... I bought a used one dedicated for this only... does not have to be fancy or super fast. Do your research and ask lots of questions from those who have gone before you, especially VG30 folks.
hmmm you might have helped me narrow my search. That is all I need just a "computer" that communicates only to the most essential sensors, like you mentioned above. I concur that much research is still needed, and I will do more--this definitely helps me get a better understanding, thank you! I had not heard of the log viewer till now, so whoop! haha
70 1600 #29574
68 1600 #18273
16 Promaster 1500
23 Santa Fe
04 Colorado
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

I'm happy to help. Daryl helped me a lot and got me into this whole can o worms. Once you understand it and play with the system it makes more and more sense. There's just new terminology and understanding what your experiencing and now SEEING what the engine is doing in fractions of a second. Steady state running is pretty easy, it's acceleration and transition under load changes that require more careful attention. Manufacturers spend extensive time programing their computers to handle all possible scenarios, weather, conditions etc.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
BAMUZ
Roadster Fanatic

Post by BAMUZ »

Gregs672000 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:31 am Steady state running is pretty easy, it's acceleration and transition under load changes that require more careful attention. Manufacturers spend extensive time programing their computers to handle all possible scenarios, weather, conditions etc.
Heard that!
I searched up a bunch of forums on the minisquirt and see a lot of Ls dudes running it. So I’m guessing it is a universal aftermarket ecu? Once tunerstudio is up and running you tell the mini to configure to a vg30 and then go from there?
70 1600 #29574
68 1600 #18273
16 Promaster 1500
23 Santa Fe
04 Colorado
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Mmmmm, kinda. Universal/adaptable yes, you will have to look into what kind of ignition timing signal you are going to use, so doing some reading in the manual (online) will help you figure that out. I run a Ford EDIS crank-fired ignition using Ford sensors etc, but there is probably some guidance on what will work from a stock Nissan system. It can even pull signal from a distributor as I recall, but look into your options as ignition is key, though it may operate as injection only. You have to think your system through and not try to do anything on the fly. In TunerStudio you set parameters based on # of cylinders, type of injection etc. ... it is pretty straight forward, then there's some effort to clean up signals and how fast some things respond as every car and system is different. For example, I have a TPS that is very sensitive and would suddenly tell the computer I had blipped the throttle, causing the system to inject more fuel in an enrichment effort and making it stumble while idling. Cleaned up the signal sensitivity and the problem went away. Like I said, there's some things you just have to investigate sometimes and that takes some understanding over time, but you learn... believe me, going from carb jets to control a few areas to fuel injection where I can address everything is pretty cool, but it does require a desire or need to do so. Pros and cons to factory EFI vs Stand alone...
If you have a good stock computer, consider it... no programing etc, but it's a black box and works or doesn't. Check out microsquirt, read the manuals, imagine the installation, then see what makes sense.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

And remember, there is no auto-tune for the ignition map, and that's a key to any engine's performance and safe operation. If you have microsquirt control the timing, you will need to have a basic timing map idea for a VG30, then flesh it out at different rpm and load (I think it's a 10x10 grid as I recall... I'd have to go look). Power is in the ignition timing, not so much in air/fuel ratio. You'll have plenty of power with the VG, so optimal performance is not as important as safe operation. It's taken me some dyno time to get mine close, and I still plan for a very specific dyno session to set it for max safe output at various rpm (once the damn motor is back together... ahhhh!).

Not trying to discourage you, just want you well informed... nothing is plug and play, especially starting from scratch like I did (with some coaching from Daryl!).
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
BAMUZ
Roadster Fanatic

Post by BAMUZ »

Not discouraged very intrigued, I’ve read your two posts like 5 times
Gives me the nitty gritty of what I really need to look into
Massive appreciation on that!
70 1600 #29574
68 1600 #18273
16 Promaster 1500
23 Santa Fe
04 Colorado
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

I'm happy to help! I got online at the two sites for mega/microsquirt... DIYauotune.com and EFIsource.com. Prices are similar, both have the manuals that will describe the system, help you figure out how you want to design your system and review options for which controller to use. DIY has a specific article on VG30s using their much more expensive Megasquirt unit, but it gives very important information about your particular platform/engine that you may or may not need. Study this stuff. My engine is simple and does not have to deal with things like a cold start solenoid for example. I don't know why you would need the more expensive unit vs the Microsquirt V3 since there's no emissions, AC, etc... you're just running the injectors and timing the engine. Both places have been very good at answering questions so I'd start by reviewing the install on a VG on DIY and getting used to terminology and what does what, then talking to them about what you need. Also, read the "Why do you need EFI" articles on DIY... it clearly explains what you're trying to accomplish and why it makes a difference. Finally, feel free to review my verbose posts on "Jenvey EFI" that describe my system and install on this site since you will face many of the same issues for fuel supply and return, wiring, etc. If you decide to do any welding on your gas tank please be very careful... I had a client who blew his hand off and lost an eye welding on a gas tank. My swirl tank system did not require any welding, but I did decide to add an inline fuel cooler on the return line that probably would not be needed if the fuel pump was inside the car's gas tank, or if the return line went only to the large tank vs going to my swirl tank and "overflowing" back to the main tank if needed. A direct return would have required dropping the tank and fiting a short height return port... mine just uses the tanks stock vent line since the "overflow" volume is small.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA