Installing Windshield

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Vince V
Roadster Fanatic

Installing Windshield

Post by Vince V »

I need to install the windshield in my 69. I have heard about the
"rope trick" and was wondering if anyone could give me all the details ( like what size rope works the best) and any other advice .
I have been told to install the window crome before installing the window. Any special instructions on installing the crome.

Thanks

Vince
69 SRL-311-07700
72 Alfa GTV B Sedan vintage race car
74 Penton/KTM 125 MC
dynaguy
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

installing windshield

Post by dynaguy »

After weighing the cost of replacing a windshield potentially broken during my unskilled attemp at install to that of having a pro do the work, I decided the $30.00 was money well spent. You might find that a local glass shop could do the install for a reasonable cost. Pat Mahoney '69 2000
TR

Post by TR »

Vince,

I'd agree, $30 would be money well spent after a friend (that used to be a mobile glass repair guy) and I spent a good hour and a half doing my '70.

Yes, the trim must go on first.

Take the old glass out ahead of time and do all of the rust repair and cleanup and repaint prior to taking for install.

The rope we used was 1/8" yellow string...

He also used some kind of lube on the old rubber...

TR
Vince V
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Vince V »

Thanks for advice, was a little more than $ 30 , like $ 100, but there was no way I was getting the glass in by mayself.

Vince
69 SRL-311-07700
72 Alfa GTV B Sedan vintage race car
74 Penton/KTM 125 MC
steve68

Post by steve68 »

i replaced my girls celica windsheild as my first time, i practiced taking out acouple at the junkyard (took 3 cars :) ) but it went in very well only cost me $40 for the whole job.(windsheild and adhesive)

Steve
Conner
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Conner »

Personally I wouldn't mind risking a $40 piece of glass, but a new roadster winshield is north of $400. Do you feel lucky?
Andy Conner
SRL 311-01633
jhdj250

Post by jhdj250 »

Andy,

Left off the .....

"well do you, punkl?"
steve68

Post by steve68 »

i probably would..its alot easier to install one than it is to take one out! :D

Steve
Jorge022770

Post by Jorge022770 »

Since you are on the windshield topic...high windshield is held by the rubber and glue only? or is there any other hardware that holds it in place? I have all the chrome trim, the rubber, the windshield..(thanks again Joaquin! ) and several flat metal pieces that to this moment I have no clue where they will end up going....(remember I have not done the interior soft trim yet, so I'm not sure what goes where from all the parts I have left in the bin labeled "INTERIOR"....

Jorge
JoeK
Roadster Fanatic

Post by JoeK »

I don't remember any flat metal pieces. There is no glue either, just the gasket itself. And the trim, if you decide to put it in, does nothing to help keep the window in, only makes it harder to install.

As a note of reference, I called probably 30 places, and couldn't get mine installed for less than $125, and I had to bring the car to them, they wouldn't do it mobile. I did get them to come and remove mine before paint though, and that was only $30, and they did mange to save the glass and gasket, which went back in later.

Also, I did attempt to do it myself. I fought with the trim for about 4 hours, then later found out there is some kind of metal tool they use to get the trim onto the rubber.
Joe
Former owner of:
'68 2L
BLK SRL
sold 12-11-2012