Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

JackAuffeltrades
Roadster Nut
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Fuel guage issue, and a bonus question

Post by JackAuffeltrades »

Quick question. I finally figured out that my fuel gauge wasn't working properly because it didn't have the proper gasket. When I checked it by itself, the unit appeared to work but when I installed it, it didn't. It was grounding and indicating an "F". I made a gasket but when I installed it I got the same full "F" that you get when you ground the sending unit wire. I then noticed that the retaining ring for the sender was also likely grounding to the tank after installation. So, I basically put some gaffer tape between the sender and the locking ring. Are there supposed to be gaskets on both sides of the sending unit cap? When I shop, I only see the "O"ring, which I assume goes between the sender and the tank.

Also, if this question was too easy and you'd like another, which side of the transmission does the cowl drain hose go on a left hand drive '68 2000?
It "wants" to go on the driver's side. Just checking.

Thanks! And I hope you're having a Saturday night with fewer questions than mine.

Cheers!
Habitat.pat
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: Fuel guage issue, and a bonus question

Post by Habitat.pat »

Doesn’t the tank sender have 2 connections on it? One should be ground & the other one going to the gauge. Allowing the sender to ground shouldn’t cause problems. I suspect that you have the wires on the sender swapped.

Peace,
Pat
67.5 SPL311 Stroker Restomod
Pat Horne, Near Austin, TX
We support Habitat for Humanity
A hand UP, not a hand OUT
JackAuffeltrades
Roadster Nut

Previously, when I attached the yellow wire to one terminal I got a "F" reading, no matter what the fuel level. When I grounded it I got the same deflection to "F". So I switched. The gauge only read 1/3 tank and never moved. I played with the sender in different configurations after cleaning. it seemed to work ok when I moved the positions of the float. When I reinstalled it, it acted like it the wired ground, just going to "F". I put a homemade gasket between the sender and the tank, and then I lined the retainer ring with tape and it's working fine. It definitely seems to be a grounding issue. I'm just not sure where it is and my backyard mechanic fix with tape leaves me wanting. Is there supposed to be an insulator between the sender and the retaining ring?
Habitat.pat
Roadsteraholic

Post by Habitat.pat »

No insulator is used. The black wire goes to the terminal that is welded to the lid of the sender. The yellow wire goes to the insulated terminal, there is a wire on the underside of the lid.

Peace,
Pat
JackAuffeltrades
Roadster Nut

Thanks Pat,
I'll recheck the wires again. Maybe there's a problem with the ground wire further upstream.

Thanks,
Matt
Habitat.pat
Roadsteraholic

Post by Habitat.pat »

The ground connection is on the rear crossmember.

Peace,
Pat