Speed nut removal - exterior trim

Place to put those little tricks or parts you used during the restoration of your roadster.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

rbrown
Forum Newb
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Speed nut removal - exterior trim

Post by rbrown »

Is there a way to remove the speed nuts without braking the plastic stims on the 1600 emblem and the D-A-T-S-U-N letters on the hood? If not then are new emblems and letters available?
Solex68
Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Re: Speed nut removal - exterior trim

Post by Solex68 »

Both emblems are available new but they are not cheap, so do your best to not break of any of the pins.
Greg a.k.a SOLEX68 - http://www.datsunvents.com/
Laguna Hills, CA
68 2000
Always willing to help another Datsun Roadster owner
Pending installs: All steering components, Stan Stealth Dizzy
Habitat.pat
Roadsteraholic
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Habitat.pat »

Carefully. I’ve had good luck inserting a a fine awl or scribe into the nut to release them from the stems if you had metal stems you could gently use a die grinder but that would melt the plastic, making it even harder. Good luck. When putting the letters back on don’t use speed nuts, but small vinyl tubing.

Peace,
Pat
67.5 SPL311 Stroker Restomod
Pat Horne, Near Austin, TX
We support Habitat for Humanity
A hand UP, not a hand OUT
david premo
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by david premo »

Put the tip of a scribe under the small tang on the clip and lift until it is no longer in contact with the post for the emblem and toss it. When you put the emblem back on use vacuum hose to hold it in place and it will also make waxing the car easier because you can take them off quickly.
rbrown
Forum Newb

Post by rbrown »

Thank you. The plastic is so old and fragile. I will try the scribe. It might be a challenge because some of them are hard to get to. I also noticed that on a couple of the speed nuts it appears and aluminum cap, or sleeve was placed over the plastic pin... or maybe that was the original construction. I like the recommendation for using vacuum hose to hold them in place. I have broke two of the plastic pins so far. Does anyone have a recommendation of repairing the pins?