Timing chain teeth health?

Since the old single thread was getting too long again. Creating a new forum where you can ask your questions and if you get them answered -please indicate the issue was resolved or not.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Trav
Roadster Fanatic

Timing chain teeth health?

Post by Trav »

While sawzall’ing off my water pump, I accidentally cut into my timing chain cover (I’m an idiot). So I removed my cover and this is what the teeth look like… Is this ok? I don’t know what they are suppose to look like…. I really want to get this thing buttoned up, and on the road ASAP.

Also what’s the easiest way to clean off the chain and gears? Need this timing cover metal shavings off now. :shock:

1970 1600

Roadster Album
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Timing chain teeth health?

Post by theunz »

When sprockets wear they usually wear on the side that the chain puts the most tension on. The “U” shape will be less steep on that side. It’s really difficult to tell from pictures as the angle of the camera can distort the image, but yours seems to show wear. At a minimum I would replace the chains, but it would be better to change gears and tensioners as well. How many miles on the engine?
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
Bwk2000
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600

Post by Bwk2000 »

Like Mike said, it’s tough to tell from that picture, but it looks to me as if your cam sprocket has seen better days. Since everything is already apart and accessible, I would go further and replace the timing chain, both sprockets and tensioner). The cost is minimal (several vendors sell them as full kits for the 5 bearing engines) and the benefits are huge. That also has the added benefit of making the cleanup of the metal shavings much easier.
Kai
Halifax, N.S.
’69 SPL311 Sports 1600

Classic Cars - Because clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

The crank gear is shot and should not be run IMHO. I'd replace the entire set up.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Trav
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Trav »

Ok, you guys convinced me, I’ll look into replacing all of it…. Is there a tech write up somewhere on how to do so? I’m slightly novice mechanic, and somewhat nervous about deconstructing more of the engine while its in the car.

Stupid question… Do I need to remove the heads to get to sprockets/chain?
1970 1600

Roadster Album
Bwk2000
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600

Post by Bwk2000 »

Been awhile since I did one, but as I recall, it’s not that difficult (no need to remove the head). However, attention to detail is paramount when aligning the sprockets (and to a lesser degree shimming up the tensioner). Don’t rush it and make sure the alignment is 100% correct. I can send you the service manual write-up if you need it, but the threads below have much more detail. Have a read of them and see if it makes sense to you.

viewtopic.php?p=14515&hilit=R16+timing+chain#p14515

viewtopic.php?p=98745&hilit=R16+timing+chain#p98745

viewtopic.php?p=242051&hilit=R16+timing+chain#p242051
Kai
Halifax, N.S.
’69 SPL311 Sports 1600

Classic Cars - Because clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.