Fuel Filter Locations

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

yusef
Roadster Fanatic

Fuel Filter Locations

Post by yusef »

Hello,

How many fuel filters are folks running on their 2000s? I have one in the "correct" spot just prior to the fuel pump, but also have one running underneath the car. I suspect it might be restriction fuel to my carbs, and thus I'm curious if others have one running underneath the car.

Thanks,
Joseph
Bwk2000
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Fuel Filter Locations

Post by Bwk2000 »

Why the second one?

I know some of the electric fuel pump conversions have a built-in pre-filter in addition to the normal fuel filter, but in general, one filter is certainly enough. If you really want to use a second filter for some reason, it should go AFTER the fuel pump - Really don’t see why anyone would want a second one though.
Kai
Halifax, N.S.
’69 SPL311 Sports 1600

Classic Cars - Because clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.
redroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by redroadster »

I found and have a sock screen on my pick-up tube
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
Bwk2000
Roadsteraholic

Post by Bwk2000 »

redroadster wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:17 pm I found and have a sock screen on my pick-up tube
Yup. I have one as well - Always a good idea.
Kai
Halifax, N.S.
’69 SPL311 Sports 1600

Classic Cars - Because clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

yusef wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:59 pm Hello,

How many fuel filters are folks running on their 2000s? I have one in the "correct" spot just prior to the fuel pump, but also have one running underneath the car. I suspect it might be restriction fuel to my carbs, and thus I'm curious if others have one running underneath the car.

Thanks,
Joseph
There are screens in the fuel fittings where they connect to the float bowls, another place for crud to build up if you're getting some restriction. Also, any air leak in the fuel lines will leave you gasping for fuel. The stock glass fuel filter system can leak past the caps seal (if you have that set up) but won't leak fuel, just suck air making your pump less efficient. Check the burn on your spark plugs if you think you're running lean... may point to a single carb issue, an intake leak or some misadjustment.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
yusef
Roadster Fanatic

Post by yusef »

I definitely have the banjo bolt filters at the carb, but it's weird, looking at the OEM clear plastic filter, it looks like it's not filling enough. Interestingly, when I change it out for a new one, the flow looks much better just based on the volume of fluid I see in the plastic filter...that's why I suspect the under the car one isn't helping relative to flow rates.
redroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by redroadster »

Try the HF or other vacuum pump w tank inline hooked to tank hose at fuel pump if it doesn't fill with 1-2 pumps and easily you've got a line restriction
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

yusef wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:29 pm I definitely have the banjo bolt filters at the carb, but it's weird, looking at the OEM clear plastic filter, it looks like it's not filling enough. Interestingly, when I change it out for a new one, the flow looks much better just based on the volume of fluid I see in the plastic filter...that's why I suspect the under the car one isn't helping relative to flow rates.
I no longer have anything I can look at (my car is fuel injected now) but I've read plenty of times that the filters don't generally run full. If the engine isn't complaining I'd leave it alone!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA