What color should I paint

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Maggie

What color should I paint

Post by Maggie »

I'm having my car painted. I wanted it candy apple red but people keep telling me to stick with original red. I like the candy apple red. My father had one when I was about 5yrs old and his was painted candy apple red.
what do you guys think. does it really matter?

Maggie
datsun65
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by datsun65 »

If you are switching colors and you want it to look really good (for many years to come), it will take quite a bit of additional prep and paint work to make the color change.

Francis Anand has an incredible Candy Apple read roadster (1967). Maybe Alvin has a few photos for you to take a peek at?

Thanks,

Dan Zubkoff
Dan
Houston, TX
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
gmagana

Post by gmagana »

Hello Maggie, Glad to see that the guys are getting along on your car. There are some new paints available now. They are called imitation candy colors, I would recommend one of these as the cost is the same as regular paint. If I was going for a candy and money was an issue I would go this route, otherwise if you can afford to get the candy paint jobthen go for it!!. Paint jobs for these old cars here run about 4500 to 5000 dollars or you can get a shop to do it by the hour. Typically body shops that work on old cars charge a shop rate of 80 to 90 dollars an hour, sometimes you will find it cheaper just to pay the flat quoted rate. Whichever way you go ask them to shoot the door jambs, under the trunk lid, hood, inside the trunk and engine compartment and to fog in the interior so that you get a nice quality look to your project. make sure you post some pictures once it's done so we can all admire it!!
Good Luck,
Gerardo
Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

Post by Import_sounds-of-mid-GA »

I dont think ppl should tell other ppl what color to paint there cars. Like Alvin said, if candy apple red is the color you really want, and you have the money to do it right, DO IT!! Its a very pretty color, especially on old cars with polished chrome and metal.
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

Maggie,
See if you can find the color you are thinking of on an existing car, or photo so that you can see if you really like it. It is hard to visulaize it from a paint chip. If it is an original color on a car a paint shop can match it.
Spend some time on this though because the wrong color will probably bug you.
As has been pointed out you can spend big bucks for a paint job, but there are other alternatives too you might want to consider. If you can do some of the prep yourself or have it done you will have a better look. Sometimes auto body schools can prep your car and /or paint it for less. You can usually buy the paint and get good quality. Here in LA you can prep your car, buy the paint, and then have it professionally shot at a few shops. They will give you the info on what to buy etc. The prep is very important. I did this with my previous car and it looked better than the Maaco etc jobs but not as good as the$ 5000 job.
I don't know why but auto body work is not usually discussed on these forums.
Well that's my 2 cents, and the rest is up to you!

Linda
68 1600
ppeters914
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by ppeters914 »

I was thinking of Candy Apple Red, too. Thanks for the pics, Alvin, although the last link needs fixing.
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

If you like lime green with purple flames, then that is what you should get. It's your car, your effort and your money.
Candy red is nice, it makes the chrome and aluminum really "pop". If you do a "real" candy paint job, the undercoat, usually gold, makes a difference in the shade, and the thickness of the transparent candy (red) controls the depth of color, so get some test pieces sprayed. I've seen candy red over blackmetalflake, and it makes a wild black cherry look in the sun, and black at night until light hits it.

All I can say is spend the money or time on the prep, as Linda said. An "average" color on a well prepped car looks way better than a fancy candy or metallic paint job on a wavy car.
The more reflective the paint, the more noticable any waves are.There are some really wild factory colors out now, Might be worth a ride down the nearest "dealer row" and see if something catches your eye. Pick up a brochure and you have the color #.

Either way, it's what you like that counts.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

Maggie,
As Dave said, the prep is extrememly important. Another way to check out colors on cars is to find as car show in your area. The guys there will be able to give you references to good shops, where to get prep work, best paint ,etc etc.
Also an auto paint store can have info too for shops and prep work. Many auto body guys moonlight for extra cash. No warranties with those guys though so be sure of the reputation.
I went to the LA Auto Show recently. Some nice paint jobs there:
http://community.webshots.com/user/ljordan704

Linda
68 1600
Los Angeles, CA
Maggie

Post by Maggie »

Thanks for all the input guys and gals. I'm gonna try to find a color I like. I wish money was not an issue but it is so candy apple red is out. I'll look around and see what catches my eye.

Again Thanks,
Maggie
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

Post by Import_sounds-of-mid-GA »

Stickerman wrote:I saw one of these Today and thought a Roadster would look great in that color. More bronze than the Z orange
Isnt the 350z orange called metallic sunburst orange?
datsun65
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000

Post by datsun65 »

Here is few of Derek's cool phtographs of a spl310 in that broze color from the 350Z

Dan
Houston, TX
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

Lemon Blue...
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!