Front drum brake locking up

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: Front drum brake locking up

Post by Gregs672000 »

I always appreciate the follow up, especially when you solve a problem and can detail what efforts you made. I've been researching some things about my EFI system, and frequently find posts where people were having similar issues or questions and people offer solutions but the original poster never completes the post... did it work? Should I pursue this? Who knows...
So, thanks again. Won't ever likely apply to me, but will to somebody!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
23yrRebuild
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by 23yrRebuild »

egrens wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:03 pm BTW, I used a new pneumatic power brake bleeder sold by Harbor Freight, worked really well and now have a very firm brake pedal. Was able to evacuate most of fluid going through each bleed valve.
Can I ask which HF model pneumatic power brake bleeder you used ?
Thanks, Mike
Mike - '67 Stroker / 5-Speed
egrens
Roadster Newby

Post by egrens »

Additional info.....So my Datsun began pulling to right again and the right front tire locked up easily. Bought a rebuild kit for the right front wheel cylinder and after rebuilding it, it still pulled to the right! GRRRRRRRR, this is getting old. Watched some you tube video's on general drum brake repairs and realized that I had been chasing the wrong side of the brake system. Per one you tuber, if the drum brakes pull to the right, the left side of the brake system is not working properly. Went back to that side again after replacing one brake cylinder there last year, and found the front cylinder cup and piston sticking ever so slightly. Rebuilt the front cylinder on the driver side and viola, problem solved! I have been chasing this problem for what feels like years, and finally feel like I found the solution!! Hope this info helps others down the road!!!
egrens
Roadster Newby

Post by egrens »

23yrRebuild wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:35 pm
egrens wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:03 pm BTW, I used a new pneumatic power brake bleeder sold by Harbor Freight, worked really well and now have a very firm brake pedal. Was able to evacuate most of fluid going through each bleed valve.
Can I ask which HF model pneumatic power brake bleeder you used ?
Thanks, Mike

Mike....sorry for the late reply. Here is the info on the HF bleeder. This thing works great and comes with a 12 oz Auto Refill bottle so as you bleed the brakes, it automatically refills the small master cylinder reservoir. This thing is awesome!
Ed Grens

Pneumatic Brake Fluid Bleeder with Auto-Refill Kit
SKU(s)
92924, 61912
Brand
PITTSBURGH AUTOMOTIVE
Accessories Included
auto-refill kit for new fluid, reservoir for used fluid and four master cylinder adapters
Air inlet size
1/4 in-18 NPT
egrens
Roadster Newby

Post by egrens »

This is an update to my original post re the passenger side front brake locking up. After dealing with this ongoing problem for about 5 years, I am hoping I have finally solved it. Turns out I had a sticking wheel cylinder on the driver side which I had rebuilt a couple of times and never operated correctly. I finally bit the bullet and bought both fore and aft wheel cylinders and the problem has completely disappeared.
Just an FYI, I had been using a HF pneumatic vacuum bleeder and that too was causing a problem. I believe the vacuum was so great that I was pulling air in through one of the brake cylinders......when I went back to old style pump with the brake pedal, I watched a lot of air come out of my lines....I do not recommend bleeding with any type of vacuum air bleeders on our roadsters!!