Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

MichaelClay
Roadster Nut
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

No Electrical at all. Engine starts and runs

Post by MichaelClay »

Hello all I got my 66 delivered today.
As the subject title says I have no electrical anywhere except the motor runs. I have no lights front/rear and no dash anything.
I feel like this could be a single thing like a regulator or a ground.?? Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Thanks
Last edited by MichaelClay on Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Re: No Electrical at all. Engine starts and runs

Post by notoptoy »

The motor runs, how? Does it start with the key, so the starter works? Are you Roll Starting? If the motor runs you have at least one circuit complete, I am assuming through the key and to the coil at the very least. Definitely need some more info!
And, Welcome to the forum! Post some pictures when you get a chance.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
MichaelClay
Roadster Nut

Post by MichaelClay »

Yes the car starts with the key. The starter works. No switches or gauges work. No lights work
I can post some pics. Where should I put them?
Nissanman
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Nissanman »

Check all of the fuses: obviously the IGnition fuse is intact.
Nissanman, just trying to help.
1965 SP310 Engine No. G-93326 Car No. SP310-10817
https://photos.shutterfly.com/album/60141836519
On the road again!
redroadster
Roadsteraholic
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by redroadster »

Testlight
Multimeter
do voltage drop test both ways
Ign swt. Problem?
If the ground is hot , you have half of the electric system
right ?
Last edited by redroadster on Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

As long as there is power through the ammeter and ignition switch the car will start. There is no fuse in the circuit. Most, I say most of the rest is fused.

http://kendo-usa.org/datsun/datsun_char ... _66_67.pdf
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
dads311

Post by dads311 »

Is it possible it was jury-rigged to just start and run? Are there any new wires on the back of the ignition switch or to the solenoid? Does the ammeter needle move to the negative when you try to start it? Maybe check with the previous owner to see what he says about it.
Mike
rebuilt dads 67.5 1600
1952 GMC 302ci 6cyl w/cam and 3 deuces
1965 Mustang (Wife's)
1971 Nova (Son Claimed)
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

MichaelClay wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:53 pm Yes the car starts with the key. The starter works. No switches or gauges work. No lights work
I can post some pics. Where should I put them?
You can post them here, or start a new thread in Members rides if you want to keep it all together.
To add images, just scroll down below the "Save Draft/Preview/Submit" buttons and select the attachment tab, select add files and follow through there.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
MichaelClay
Roadster Nut

Post by MichaelClay »

Here are a few pictures.
The bottom fuse in the fuse box is blown. I’ll go to the store and get some to replace all 4. I think it’s for the horn.? Also the black box above the alternator mounted on the fender well is lose like you can grab it and giggle it around. Does it need to be tight to be grounded? It also looks old and crusty. Could it be the issue? I just got the car yesterday. I’m going to check the starter ground to start with.
I took a quick look under the dash. There are no new wires and nothing looks melted. It all looks pretty original.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DAC21

Post by DAC21 »

Clean those fuse box contacts as you replace the fuses. Gentle brass brush + electric parts cleaner. (Deoxit spray is supposed to be real good) And yes tighten up the voltage regulator (black box) Since it is lose you probably have dirt behind the two pads where the screws mount. It wouldn't hurt to clean under there, I assume a ground is created there. That may not have anything to do with the current issue but it could cause charging issues.
1967 1600 in waiting SPL311-09002 / R-28178
2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Sport Ultimate
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

If the alternator doesn't work ammeter should move to negative. Although if everything else doesn't work it may not move much.
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Solid looking ride Michael! Since there are only 4 fuses, one being out can take a whole lot down with it. Bigger question will be what caused it to blow, hopefully just age and maybe a bump or two. The voltage regulator on the inner fender well should be tightened as I believe the body does ground against the fender. I think there may also be a ground wire from one of the mounting bolts to the frame - but I am not sure on that. The Voltage regulator does not look OEM, but that really shouldn't matter as long as it is charging (and not overcharging) as it appears to be doing, since it runs and you did not mention anything about a dead battery or having to jump it.

65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
MichaelClay
Roadster Nut

Post by MichaelClay »

Thanks. I think it is a pretty solid little car. About a year ago I had heart surgery and have been struggling to keep active. This car is hopefully a light project to give me something to do. I didn’t know about the electrical problem but it is what it is. I hate electrical stuff. My plan is to redo the interior, buff the paint (hopefully) and do any mechanical work it needs. After a quick go over yesterday the front driver brake is grabbing. Probably a collapses brake line. The electrical crap, it needs a complete service. The engine is ticking probably old oil. The carbs need to be adjusted to my climate. I’m in NC the car was from Arizona. The previous owner said the rear leaf springs were flipped so I need to address that at some point. So there is plenty to keep me busy. I just hate electrical stuff honestly anything else and I would be fine. Lol
MichaelClay
Roadster Nut

Post by MichaelClay »

I replaced the Voltage regulator and replaced the fuses, I cleaned all the connections. I cleaned the Starter ground at the frame and I cleaned the ground connection on the drivers front side frame. I think it's for the lights. Result is now my wipers work. lol. The ammeter works as well I saw it move when I cranked the car. Still no lights front and rear.
Question is I use to own a old VW and if a light is blown all the others don't work. Or could the Key switch be bad? I'm sure I'm missing something simple. I'll craw under the dash later my back hurts :)
also I found that the horns have no wiring. The horns are there but no wires at all
DAC21

Post by DAC21 »

MichaelClay wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:40 pm I replaced the Voltage regulator and replaced the fuses, I cleaned all the connections. I cleaned the Starter ground at the frame and I cleaned the ground connection on the drivers front side frame. I think it's for the lights. Result is now my wipers work. lol. The ammeter works as well I saw it move when I cranked the car. Still no lights front and rear.
Question is I use to own a old VW and if a light is blown all the others don't work. Or could the Key switch be bad? I'm sure I'm missing something simple. I'll craw under the dash later my back hurts :)
Wonder if the Dash light switch itself is bad? I'm sure Curtis will have some more input.
Last edited by DAC21 on Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1967 1600 in waiting SPL311-09002 / R-28178
2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Sport Ultimate