For the racers out there!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

gtrbg
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

5th gear lockout.

Post by gtrbg »

Anyone run into a good way to do a reverse lockout on a roadster 5 speed. My Austin sprite 4 speed is easy with just a bar that I can fix in place so cannot go into reverse which is a dogleg off to the right with no 5th gear above. Other thing is the springs seem a bit weak on the 5 to 4 shift and I need to do very slow. I assume I need to tear the transmission apart to replace the spring.
jhayden
Site Supporter

Re: 5th gear lockout.

Post by jhayden »

Disassembly is not required. The shifter springs can be removed easily from the bottom of the box after unscrewing the two hex bolts (a 15/16” six point socket works fine). Note that the two springs are different. Yes, the Car Parts Manual shows the same part nr., but the Rallye Parts Catalog (pp. 163-164) and The Roadster Store (now defunct) catalog (pp. 69-70) correctly show them as different, with the stronger spring for the 5-R plane.

Could your springs have been switched at some time? There really shouldn’t be a need to alter the FS5C71A (arguably the best box that ever found its way into a production car) to prevent missed shifts, as the springs cause the shift lever to default to the 3-4 shift plane. Try moving the shift lever to the left (1-2 plane) and then to the right (5-R plane). You should notice a stronger resistance to the right than the left.

If you do remove the springs, you can compare their lengths to those shown. These are used springs, but the box when removed showed no signs of spring fatigue.

Hope this helps. Please let us know what you find out.

Jon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GeoffM
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by GeoffM »

jhayden wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 2:36 pm Disassembly is not required. The shifter springs can be removed easily from the bottom of the box after unscrewing the two hex bolts (a 15/16” six point socket works fine). Note that the two springs are different. Yes, the Car Parts Manual shows the same part nr., but the Rallye Parts Catalog (pp. 163-164) and The Roadster Store (now defunct) catalog (pp. 69-70) correctly show them as different, with the stronger spring for the 5-R plane.

Could your springs have been switched at some time? There really shouldn’t be a need to alter the FS5C71A (arguably the best box that ever found its way into a production car) to prevent missed shifts, as the springs cause the shift lever to default to the 3-4 shift plane. Try moving the shift lever to the left (1-2 plane) and then to the right (5-R plane). You should notice a stronger resistance to the right than the left.

If you do remove the springs, you can compare their lengths to those shown. These are used springs, but the box when removed showed no signs of spring fatigue.

Hope this helps. Please let us know what you find out.

Jon
Hey Jon, Does the 4-speed have the same spring arrangement?
Geoff
1969 SPL-311
Solex68
Site Supporter

Post by Solex68 »

Great info Jon.
David Premo explained it to me on a drive at Solvang 2022 but I couldn't take notes at the time. You could also shim it if you needed a little adjustment.
Greg a.k.a SOLEX68 - http://www.datsunvents.com/
Laguna Hills, CA
68 2000
Always willing to help another Datsun Roadster owner
Pending installs: All steering components, Stan Stealth Dizzy
jhayden
Site Supporter

Post by jhayden »

GeoffM wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 5:29 pm
Hey Jon, Does the 4-speed have the same spring arrangement?
[/quote]

Geoff, regrettably (and to the disdain of the U.S. automotive press at the introduction of the 240Z) the spring-loaded 5 speed was only installed in the 2000 roadsters. When everything is working correctly, you get the feeling that you could shift almost as precisely and quickly whilst wearing a catcher's mitt or boxing gloves -- leave it to the springs to prevent missed shifts.
Solex68 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 6:40 pm Great info Jon.
David Premo explained it to me on a drive at Solvang 2022 but I couldn't take notes at the time. You could also shim it if you needed a little adjustment.

Greg, thank you for posting and the adjusting suggestion, b/c last time I checked nos springs were nla. Who on this forum would not have watched and listened to a YouTube video of that drive with the two of you?
Solex68
Site Supporter

Post by Solex68 »

Jon.
I too have tried to get the springs and I could not locate them in USA or Japan. Thank you for all the detailed information on how to test the trans springs and showing what the springs actually look like. I always thought they'd be bigger.
Greg a.k.a SOLEX68 - http://www.datsunvents.com/
Laguna Hills, CA
68 2000
Always willing to help another Datsun Roadster owner
Pending installs: All steering components, Stan Stealth Dizzy
redroadster
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600

Post by redroadster »

I've found that s flat top shifter knob with thumb on top vs the ball knob helps in the 5th to 4th downshift .
Especially the pistol grip style some of the way back shifter arms are terrible about this 5 to 4 & R
If your down shifting to 4th likely your going 60+
Not a good time to slam the shifts anyway
Last edited by redroadster on Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
mraitch
Roadsteraholic

Post by mraitch »

In a review of the roadster way back when, Stirling Moss himself commented about the roadster gearbox - "It''ll shift as fast as you can!"
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
iloveredmeat
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by iloveredmeat »

Remember that time y'all said there are no stupid questions???

I'm going to hold you to that... sooo... What exactly is "5th gear lockout"?

Thank you,
Peter
Peter
––
1967.5 1600 – Second Owner – Under Reconstruction
1970 Honda CT70
1953 Airstream 21' Flying Cloud – Second Owner
rwmann

Post by rwmann »

It’s not rocket science. Neither is the Fifth to Reverse likely. Especially with a shorter shifter and aluminum or Delrin bushings.
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

iloveredmeat wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:59 pm Remember that time y'all said there are no stupid questions???

Thank you,
Peter
It's a mechanical or other method to prevent shifting from 5th to Reverse accidentally, particularly while moving forward at a high rate of speed.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
unklpat
Roadster Fanatic

Post by unklpat »

Jon, it's not the length, but the stiffness of the springs. I had a heated debate with a well known roadster transmission guy, and proved that the stiffer spring was in a certain place. 5th and reverse. right side, I think. If you want pictures, I can provide them. I don't have any info on replacements. Pat
jhayden
Site Supporter

Post by jhayden »

That is correct: the photos show the stronger spring placed on the right side corresponding to the 5-R plane, and the explanation for that is to prevent accidental shifting to that plane. Greg is correct, though, that shorter spring length due to age may be compensated for with shims, since the oem springs are nla from Nissan.
Mike Unger

Post by Mike Unger »

I have one race prepared transmission that someone modified with a cable lockout for reverse. I never used it. It uses a hardened pin and a cable mount on the outside of case with a drilled hole and seal, The pin when engaged stopped movement of the shift rod into reverse unless you pulled the cable release with the other hand. If you're really interested in doing that much work I will try to dig it out and get you more info. I never liked the idea of having to use two hands to find reverse in case I "went agricultural" and needed to move quickly...I've also found that my downshifts were almost never 5th to 4th at the tracks I race, so I learned to ease the lever out of 5th to find center neutral and then up into 3rd. Let me know if you want more info.

Mike
Mike Unger
iloveredmeat
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by iloveredmeat »

notoptoy wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:00 pm
iloveredmeat wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:59 pm Remember that time y'all said there are no stupid questions???

Thank you,
Peter
It's a mechanical or other method to prevent shifting from 5th to Reverse accidentally, particularly while moving forward at a high rate of speed.
Thanks Tom... and I think we can all be happy that I won't ask why that might be a problem. I'm actually learning!

Thanks again, cool info.
Peter
––
1967.5 1600 – Second Owner – Under Reconstruction
1970 Honda CT70
1953 Airstream 21' Flying Cloud – Second Owner