Dash lighting/gauge upgrade question on results

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

SP3
Roadster Fanatic

Dash lighting/gauge upgrade question on results

Post by SP3 »

Recently added LED dash bulbs and recommended flasher as well swapping out to gauges for Auto Meter units. Reference the attached photo.

Several questions:
- Is there a fix to increase the turn signal blinker frequency
- If all the LED bulbs installed are the same why are the Auto Meter gauges so much brighter - the wire gauge of the bulb socket for AM gauges is smaller (like 22 gauge) than factory dash light wires
- Observed when Flashers are on the Left/Right indicator dash lights are brighter than when in Turn Signal mode - same bulb
- What does red light at top of Tachometer face represent? High/low beam selection does not effect it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rwmann
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Dash lighting/gauge upgrade question on results

Post by rwmann »

Replace the bimetallic, 2-pin OEM blinker cans with solid state, adjustable interval blinker modules.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175284537071
Last edited by rwmann on Fri May 20, 2022 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Habitat.pat
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Habitat.pat »

The AM lighting design is optimized for LED lamps which generally emit light in one direction, while OEM lights emit light in all directions. When I converted to LEDs I used cob bulbs that have a bunch of LEDs that emit light in all directions.

Wire size has no effect at these low currents.

I had to use incandescent lamps for the direction indicators because there was leakage current somewhere that caused the LED direction indicators to glow slightly.

Red light is high beam indicator. Looks like you wired it to the dash light circuit.

Peace,
Pat
67.5 SPL311 Stroker Restomod
Pat Horne, Near Austin, TX
We support Habitat for Humanity
A hand UP, not a hand OUT
caraddict

Post by caraddict »

The stock Roadster gauges use a rubber grommet to keep the instrument lighting from bleeding into the red brights indicator and unfortunately over time they dry up / crack and break apart which lets the gauge back lighting infect it. (You may have noticed the white pieces floating around the inside of your gauge)

The biggest reason you are seeing a such a huge difference in brightness between the Auto Meter gauges and the stock roadster gauges are because the Auto Meter units have plastic back lit dials that are reverse screened so the lighting is coming through the white numbers and letters instead illuminating around them like our stock gauges do.

You can try swapping the bulbs in the Auto Meter units with lower rated lumens LED's but I'm not sure it's ever going to match perfectly.

Hope it helps

Jon
SP3
Roadster Fanatic

Post by SP3 »

Thanks for replies all,

Ordering the adjustable Flasher unit.

What’s interesting with the dash turn signal indicators as shown in pictures is they are significantly brighter when emergency flashers are employed and not as bright with turn signal use. Makes me wonder is the voltage into socket different between the 2 systems? Only a concern because in daytime driving on sunny day it’s hard to see/confirm turn signal is on.

The rubber boots around all the bulb sockets are fresh, no deterioration. I will confirm I have that one pushed on fully re. the light bleed into the red light.

I will experiment with swapping bulbs between the AM gauges (incandescent, Cob or lower lum LED). Long range goal is to convert all the gauges to that series AM including Speedo and Tach.

Pat if you recall the specific model Cob bulb/source, would be interested otherwise will try and cross reference.
caraddict

Post by caraddict »

Sorry, I should have been a bit more specific. The grommet I am talking about is inside the gauge and presses up against the back of the dial so unless you went inside the instrument to swap it out it's gonna be your culprit.

Jon
SP3
Roadster Fanatic

Post by SP3 »

Thanks for clarifying, yes I was not aware.

Think I may have the problem resolved. The prior repair shop had the bulb wires installed incorrectly in the gauge. On the tachometer side harness, there a 3 bulbs - 2 on a lead and 1 on separate wire (not at car so can’t recall wire color). The single wire bulb was installed in the lower socket instead of “12:00” position socket and one of the other 2 bulbs put in “12:00” thus illuminating Red high beam indicator with Parking, low and high beam position of switch.

Tested with a test light that single wire bulb only gets 12v when high beams are engaged by Signal stalk.

If I still get somewhat less illumination of the indicator with high beams off when put back together then it is that internal grommet referenced.