General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

elorenzof
Forum Newb
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Carburetors

Post by elorenzof »

Brand new to this forum!! We purchased a 1966 Datsun Roadster 1600, Not running condition. I am not getting fuel to the carburetor. So, I disconnected the steel line at the tank and blew air thru it, i am getting air nice and easy to the glass fuel bowl. I pushed air thru the line from the fuel bowl to the carbs... no problem. The fuel bowl had old nasty fuel in it and i found a new fuel filter for it. I'm getting the tank removed and vatted. Engine does crank no prob. The fuel pump says kyosan denki 6-2 - I can't find one. I found one on ebay that says kyosan denki 5-1 Will that work? It looks the same physically. Also, on the carburetors, there was a copper line that seemed to connect the two carbs together (see pic circled in red) and when i pushed air thru the fuel hose from the fuel bowl the air came out of those two holes. Do in fact they hook up the two carbs together? ( i was assuming) Where can i find that line? What is the purpose of those two fittings? Please see two red circles in pic.Image thank you very much - we love the little roadster. Lorenzo
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Re: Carburetors

Post by notoptoy »

The two fittings you have circled are overflow vents. and should have hoses that lead down below the engine. IF the floats aren't set correctly or the needle valve gets junk in it it'll overflow and dump out these fittings, it is important to have them routed down below the headers to help prevent fire!
They do NOT connect the two carburetors together. Each one should be routed and end below the headers.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
DAC21
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by DAC21 »

I'd rebuild the Fuel Pump, not replace it. Much cheaper to do so.
1967 1600 in waiting SPL311-09002 / R-28178
2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Sport Ultimate
dads311
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dads311 »

This will take you to a fuel pump rebuild kit. https://www.ebay.com/itm/234559083414?m ... media=COPY

If you haven't yet, learn the search function here in the discussion board and use the Tech Wiki, there is great information there.
You can always take the overflow fittings out and put a little gas in the bowls just to see if the engine will fire. And most important of all, have fun, and ask questions, there are some very knowledgeable people on this site.
Mike
rebuilt dads 67.5 1600
1952 GMC 302ci 6cyl w/cam and 3 deuces
1965 Mustang (Wife's)
1971 Nova (Son Claimed)
elorenzof
Forum Newb

Post by elorenzof »

Oh thank you so much for the replies! @notoptoy - The overflow vents have brass tubing coming out of them, the brass overflow vent tubing on the "rear" carb closest to the firewall goes down and under the 1st carb and it is cutoff just under the "front" carb. And, so is the vent tube coming out of the "front" carb but it is just cut real short. Thats why i thought they bridged the two carbs together. So, i can just add hoses to these to vent to the bottom as to what you said so thank you very much.
elorenzof
Forum Newb

Post by elorenzof »

@dads311 - Thank you for the link to rebuild the fuel pump