93mm Denso Alternator Intended Swap Question

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

SP3
Roadster Fanatic

93mm Denso Alternator Intended Swap Question

Post by SP3 »

Have a couple of questions on the Denso 93mm alternator. Think I am going that route.

- Can one get it locally (Auto Zone, Advance etc. or only on-line and how much are they?
- Some mentioned going with a different pulley than what it came with - why so?

My wiring intention based on Posts here is the Power wire to battery with 30A in line fuse, remove the OE voltage regulator and use the black and white wires that originally go to that to excite the alternator.
Plan to leave 3rd wire uninstalled.

Not clear if I still need to add a 30A in line fuse at Starter? If so, is it to one of wires on the solenoid or the big gauge wire going directly to starter?

Originally was hoping to go with something in 60Amp range as added driving lights and big amp/aftermarket radio with bells and whistles. If factory unit was 38Amp and this Denso is 40Amp not much increase but I did not factor in possibility of fire from factory wiring harness not being up to task. All the stereo stuff is wired outside of factory harness.

Going in a ‘67.5 with stock right hand location and original Mitsubishi unit presently there. Understanding is direct bolt-up with no modification requirement to mounting brackets. Only shorter belt.

Thanks for help
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Re: 93mm Denso Alternator Intended Swap Question

Post by fj20spl311 »

IIRC. the Denso 93mm alternator is about 60 amp output. That will blow your 30 amp fuse. LOL
There normally not a fuse when the alternator is wired directly to the battery. I would suggest 100 amp fuse or fusible link. Circuit breaker would be better.

You need a 30 amp fuse from the starter.
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
redroadster
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: 93mm Denso Alternator Intended Swap Question

Post by redroadster »

Yes usually a 100 amp from the charge wire @ to batt. It may charge 50-60a if the battery pulls it , it's not pushed out of the alt. Mostly the 100a fuse is to stop A/C voltage is it gets thru it can try all wiring and IC s
Most IC alts use the serpentine / micro groove style pulley which don't work on a Datsun
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster