DELETED
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:Engine Degreaser

Post by S Allen »

Mark,

I have had great success with the Castrol Purple Stuff. Works really well for degreasing a motor. Simply rinse well with water, let her dry, and paint.

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Conner
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Conner »

I am going to be doing the same thing very soon. Ray was kind enough to describe how he cleaned up his engine: http://www.311s.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3107. His engine looks really nice and there is a picture around here somewhere.
On his advice I bought some of the Eagle-One Mag Cleaner acid etch (the one designed for non-polished wheels) which is available at Walmart. Anyway, I used that stuff on the aluminum part of my differential (after scrubbing it for awhile with scouring pads and Simple Green) and it worked very well to brighten-up the aluminum. I plan to use that same stuff on my transmission housing and the head of my U20.

My valve cover is currently painted orange/red and I intend to strip it down and then polish it up using Mothers or that Eagle-One polish (I got both and they are both at Walmart as well). I'll probably hand sand using wet paper from 220 to 400, 500, 600, and 1200 grit first. We'll see how that turns out.

Can anyone chime in and specify what parts of the U20 I should paint "Datsun green?" I bought a can from one of the vendors and plan to do the block. Should I also do the crank pulley, water inlet, fan clutch, alternator bracket, etc. If someone could itemize that list of parts that were originally blue-green I'd greatly appreciate it.
Last edited by Conner on Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Conner
SRL 311-01633
Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

Post by Import_sounds-of-mid-GA »

For motor cleaning we usually use carb cleaner with a hard bristle brush first to get the thick stuff of then we use purple power with a seperate brush to get the carb cleaner off. Then just get a bad towel and dry it and let it sit for a while to dry better.

For the metal polishing- clean them real good with the purple power and dry them. When they are good and dry get a rag with mothers wheel polish. Rub it around till it is black then get a dry towel and wipe it off.
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

Would the same products be able to be used for an in-car clean-up? I'm sure having the engine out helps, though.

Linda
68 1600
Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

Post by Import_sounds-of-mid-GA »

when my motor was still in the car I covered my dizzy, carbs and other holes, and bought some cheap cleaning stuff from walmart. I used a brush with is and it worked REALLY good and it was the cheapest stuff there. Just gotta rinse it off real good to get the cleaner off