General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Tommy G
Forum Newb
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

ignition key

Post by Tommy G »

good evening- I recently replaced the ignition switch on my '69 2000. They key has disappeared. what is the best next step? Can a locksmith cut a key if I take the switch to them? Should I just buy another switch and key? Does anyone rebuild switches? The original that I removed has the key for it.
thanks
iloveredmeat
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: ignition key

Post by iloveredmeat »

Hi Tommy,

There should be a number stamped on the switch. 4 digits is what I've seen. Some locksmiths can make you a new key based on that number. Obviously, they need to determine that it's your car, but it's not complicated. I have a locksmith close by if you want to PM me... not inexpensive, but good.

They may even be able to 'swap guts' to keep your original...

Good luck,
Peter
Peter
––
1967.5 1600 – Second Owner – Under Reconstruction
1970 Honda CT70
1953 Airstream 21' Flying Cloud – Second Owner
Solex68
Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: ignition key

Post by Solex68 »

Worth noting. AAA road service includes locksmith service. Depending on the level you buy at AAA will be how much they cover. Call them and see what they will offer. In my two friend's experience, they purchased a new FOB and was reimbursed by AAA. You can also ask the locksmith if they are AAA approved. If so, they can help you out if they have the proper reference books for finding a Datsun key grind
If you had the key, I could send you a blank to copy but there are many variations.
Greg a.k.a SOLEX68 - http://www.datsunvents.com/
Laguna Hills, CA
68 2000
Always willing to help another Datsun Roadster owner
Pending installs: SS brake lines, Stan Stealth Dizzy