General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

bossbob
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Carpet installation help.

Post by bossbob »

I have my carpet kit ready to go, cutting out patterns for the small trim. I have a few questions.

What is the process on installation?

I have some snaps on the floor, but not sure I have all of them, no snaps on the carpet, I would have to install them. Is it better to glue it in?

Hot wire from the radio console to cig lighter and map light, does it go on the floor, or on the carpet under the console?

I was thinking I should run speaker wires down the door line somewhere for future installation of music.

Should the vinyl trim pieces overlap the edges around the door opening? Is there a windlace that pinches on over the edges?

And 2 of the 3 vent controls are not connected to anything, they slide with no resistance, so I want to address that before the carpet, consoles, etc. go into the car. What should I expect, does anyone have a picture of the rear area of the vent controls.

Any other "to do's" while I'm at it, I would rather get things I haven't thought of done before it's too late.

Thanks,
68 Roadster 1600
70 Boss 302
65 K-Code Fastback
69 Mach 1 393 Stroker 5 spd
63.5 Galaxy Conv. 427 Dual Carb, 4 spd
72 Ranchero
65 GT Coupe
Bwk2000
Roadsteraholic

Re: Carpet installation help.

Post by Bwk2000 »

Might want to give these two threads a read Bob. They lay out the process very nicely!

viewtopic.php?t=24400

viewtopic.php?t=10176
Kai
Halifax, N.S.
’69 SPL311 Sports 1600

Classic Cars - Because clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.
bossbob
Site Supporter

Post by bossbob »

Thanks, that gets me started.
68 Roadster 1600
70 Boss 302
65 K-Code Fastback
72 Ranchero
65 GT Coupe
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

If you have to cut any holes in the carpet for any reason I found an old soldering iron was a great way of melting through the carpet in a controlled manner while avoiding any thread runs from cutting holes.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
bossbob
Site Supporter

Post by bossbob »

Yes, a lot of good info in that post. Still wondering about this though.

"And 2 of the 3 vent controls are not connected to anything, they slide with no resistance, so I want to address that before the carpet, consoles, etc. go into the car. What should I expect, does anyone have a picture of the rear area of the vent controls."

And how does the ebrake boot get finished off, does it snap directly to the carpet? I found this picture in the post.
Carpet Snaps 3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
68 Roadster 1600
70 Boss 302
65 K-Code Fastback
72 Ranchero
65 GT Coupe
Solex68
Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by Solex68 »

So the snaps are a male piece with a screw in them.
'
ScrewSnap.jpg
'

[/color]
The arrows in your (mine) photo are the whereabouts of hole location for where the snaps screw into.
So find the holes, drape the carpet over one hole at a time and start a screw/snap into the hole. I then just put in enough to keep the screw from falling out, do the same for the next hole. Once all screws are started and it looks like the carpet is correctly placed around the perimeter of that full carpet piece. Then screw in the screw/snaps completely.
Thats how I did it from what I remember when I took that photo.
Good luck. Hopefully my photo/s helped somewhat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg a.k.a SOLEX68 - http://www.datsunvents.com/
Laguna Hills, CA
68 2000
Always willing to help another Datsun Roadster owner
Pending installs: SS brake lines, Stan Stealth Dizzy
jrusso07
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000

Post by jrusso07 »

A scratch awl is useful to find the existing holes in the metal. Once the carpet is where you like it, use the awl to probe through the carpet to find the hole. Use a sharp, thin awl and you won't see any damage to a typical pile carpet. Works well for the snaps and for the mounting holes inside the center counsel storage
Joe

1969 SRL311 - Solex
1970 SPL311 - U20 mod
1970 SRL311
bmccarthy67
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by bmccarthy67 »

I did some of what everyone has suggested, but also since you are starting with fresh carpet, I made a paper template of my tunnel hump and marked all of the holes (console, shifter plate, heater box, e brake, etc.). I used the shifter hole as the reference and marked a center line on the paper and rear wall to align. I then did what Joe said and used a very sharp upholstery pin to poke through, with the metal pin in the hole I used the soldering iron route and burned through to the hole. I had to use the same sharp pin to install the firewall cardboard panels as they are not drilled either. I have some pretty clear shots of the e brake holes and the "melting" hole shots on my restoration Jan 2022 page.

v/r
Buddy
http://www.mydatsun.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
67.5 SRL311-00321
67.5 SPL 2000 Transplant
66 SCCA Project
Pjackb
Roadsteraholic

Post by Pjackb »

Hey Bob,

As you know for Scarlett I have done all the floors with Kilmat and I’m also using Essex carpet which is much thicker and under carpet liner so the snap are not really working for me

Since I’m pretty sure you have put Kilmat on the floors you may find that the carpet does not not really want to stay in place . So you may want to think about this carpet tape , I used it strategically to keep things from moving , it’s made to work outside in Canada so it has a very large temperature range

https://www.cantech.com/en/retail/carpet%20tapes/38700
Gregs672000 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:12 am If you have to cut any holes in the carpet for any reason I found an old soldering iron was a great way of melting through the carpet in a controlled manner while avoiding any thread runs from cutting holes.
Thanks for this , just tried it today smells awful but saved me a lot of grief :lol:
bossbob
Site Supporter

Post by bossbob »

I did use a Kilmat type of deadener, still haven't finished the installation yet. I'm making the vinyl pieces and running some wires, etc. etc. But thanks for the tape idea.

Are you going to use the double sided tape as a permanent solution? What about Glue?
Thanks
68 Roadster 1600
70 Boss 302
65 K-Code Fastback
72 Ranchero
65 GT Coupe
Pjackb
Roadsteraholic

Post by Pjackb »

bossbob wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:08 pm Are you going to use the double sided tape as a permanent solution? What about Glue?
Thanks
Yes double sided tape sparingly at strategic location , you really shouldn't need much since the seats and console are mostly preventing movement
No glue for me , remember you may have to remove the carpet at some point , glue and undercarpet make for a royal mess