Cleaning a 67.5 Windshield Frame

Place to put those little tricks or parts you used during the restoration of your roadster.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

iloveredmeat
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Cleaning a 67.5 Windshield Frame

Post by iloveredmeat »

Hi.

Does anyone have any experience/advice/tips on cleaning the 'reduced-glare-finish' on a 67.5 windshield frame?

I have a frame that is sooo close to perfectly original. The chrome has cleaned up beautifully with little effort. I feel like I know how to do the shiny stuff. But... the 'dull silver' side... that is a painted-on technique, and I've done gentle soap and water with great success, but some spots seem to want a bit more effort.

I don't want to use anything that will strip the painted on dull-silver, but it definitely needs more that soap and water.

Any recommendations? Or cautionary advice about what NOT to use - because it would strip the dull silver?

This thing is really close to being an incredible original finish survivor, I do not want to f this up.

Photos show the shiny chrome side of one vertical frame piece and the dull silver side of the other vertical frame piece.

Thanks,
Peter
1.jpeg
IMG_6405.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peter
––
1967.5 1600 – Second Owner – Under Reconstruction
1970 Honda CT70
1953 Airstream 21' Flying Cloud – Second Owner
Habitat.pat
Roadsteraholic

Re: Cleaning a 67.5 Windshield Frame

Post by Habitat.pat »

Peter, I can’t help with your question, mine was stripped long ago but Dean sells a paint he says matches the dull silver, it’s a 2 coat process as I recall.

Peace,
Pat
67.5 SPL311 Stroker Restomod
Pat Horne, Near Austin, TX
We support Habitat for Humanity
A hand UP, not a hand OUT
iloveredmeat

Post by iloveredmeat »

Habitat.pat wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:54 am Peter, I can’t help with your question, mine was stripped long ago but Dean sells a paint he says matches the dull silver, it’s a 2 coat process as I recall.

Peace,
Pat
Thanks for nothin', Pat. :lol:

I've actually got about 10 different paints including the same paint that Dean sells (Krylon 1403), but my hope is to NOT repaint this at all, just clean off some of the grimy build-up and adhesive, etc. to get to the original finish. It is so very good on this frame. A real survivor.

I just don't want to clean it and end up 'melting' off the original finish.

I guess I will do what is recommended by every product, but that I have never, ever actually listened to: "Test in an inconspicuous place."

Fingers crossed.

Thanks,
Peter
Peter
––
1970 Honda CT70
bmccarthy67
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by bmccarthy67 »

Peter, are you talking about the flat silver (middle section of your photo) or are you also asking about the piece that's riveted on that holds the weather-strip? Asking as your painted section looks great in the photos (i can't see the build up and adhesive you mention). Now that weird unfinished trim looks that way on every windshield I have (not sure it had much protection on it). I actually had to drill out the rivets to get that weather strip holder off to plate the frame. Maybe the lowest corner of your bottom frame could be your test as its pretty hidden by the dash. I can say I tried to clean the door wing window bottom holder with mild cleaners and I wiped off the silver. It doesn't look like there was much prep to the surface so it came off pretty easy.

v/r
Buddy
http://www.mydatsun.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
67.5 SRL311-00321
67.5 SPL 2000 Transplant
66 SCCA Project
iloveredmeat

Post by iloveredmeat »

bmccarthy67 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:02 am Peter, are you talking about the flat silver (middle section of your photo) or are you also asking about the piece that's riveted on that holds the weather-strip? Asking as your painted section looks great in the photos (i can't see the build up and adhesive you mention). Now that weird unfinished trim looks that way on every windshield I have (not sure it had much protection on it). I actually had to drill out the rivets to get that weather strip holder off to plate the frame. Maybe the lowest corner of your bottom frame could be your test as its pretty hidden by the dash. I can say I tried to clean the door wing window bottom holder with mild cleaners and I wiped off the silver. It doesn't look like there was much prep to the surface so it came off pretty easy.

v/r
Buddy
Hey Buddy!

Yes, I'm talking flat silver stuff area. That's a section that cleaned up very nicely with soap and water, that gives me some hope for the entire frame. But not all of it turned out like that.

Here are some other dull silver sections that are a bit more stubborn and need more than just soap and water.

And I was thinking the same on where on the piece to test clean, but the fact that yours came off isn't too promising.

It's tempting to just strip and repaint unless there is anyone out there looking for a totally original 67.5 frame. Let me know.

I have others that unquestionably need to be rechromed, so I could do that and repaint one of those.
bmccarthy67 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:02 amNow that weird unfinished trim looks that way on every windshield I have (not sure it had much protection on it). I actually had to drill out the rivets to get that weather strip holder off to plate the frame.
Curious,why you didn't just leave the pieces all together to get chromed?

And one more thing while we're at it: these rivet things that I've heard are to hold on the weather stripping... are these still needed with new rubber and good adhesive? Or can I just remove them and glue on the new rubber?

Thanks again,
Peter

Peter
––
1970 Honda CT70
bmccarthy67
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by bmccarthy67 »

Peter, I took mine apart for chrome as that trim piece is such an odd shape that I thought the plater would have a hard time polishing. I actually drilled out the rivets that hold it on. I then painted those silver, but next to the new chromed framed they looked sad so I took them in and had them chromed as well. I took that piece you circled off as it was like an old brass folder clip, I assumed it was part of the weather-strip and worse case I could always put it back on and fold it back open. Like Michael showed in his project unicorn resto the frame looks so nice after restoration and he painted his perfect to be period correct, but to be honest I haven't painted over the new chrome yet because it just looks so nice (will have to decide later). Mine was nowhere near as nice as yours so I can see your dilemma in choosing.

v/r
Buddy
http://www.mydatsun.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
67.5 SRL311-00321
67.5 SPL 2000 Transplant
66 SCCA Project
iloveredmeat

Post by iloveredmeat »

Thanks Buddy,

That @spriso frame is my gold standard. I'd be happy to get anywhere close to that.

Well, we'll see. I'll put the results in my thread I suppose.

Thanks again,
Peter
Peter
––
1970 Honda CT70
spriso
Vendor

Post by spriso »

I can assure you guys-- it was really hard to paint over that perfect chrome on Project Unicorn!

Peter-- I would sand and repaint, the exterior chrome can remain original, but the matte silver really looks tired when it is scratched and inconsistent-- you will look at that every time you drive the car, so you might as well have your eyes not fixate on something that would be easy to refinish now.

My .02 Yen-- spend at will.

Michael
Spriso Motorsports
http://www.spriso.com
Instagram https://instagram.com/spriso/
SR20 Powered Roadsters
Engine swap kits Available! See my website!
iloveredmeat

Post by iloveredmeat »

spriso wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:23 pm I can assure you guys-- it was really hard to paint over that perfect chrome on Project Unicorn!

Peter-- I would sand and repaint, the exterior chrome can remain original, but the matte silver really looks tired when it is scratched and inconsistent-- you will look at that every time you drive the car, so you might as well have your eyes not fixate on something that would be easy to refinish now.

My .02 Yen-- spend at will.

Michael
Thanks Michael... and I think I had gotten there (to the decision to repaint)... Although both side pieces are virtually perfect, the tops and bottoms have some minor+, but noticeable, issues. It's so cool to see a 67.5 frame sooooo close to perfect, but at the same time so frustrating. Let's say its 90% perfect... however like you say, that 10% is like a pimple on the nose of Cindy Crawford... I just couldn't get past it. Okay, that's a bad analogy, I'm not that foolish, but I agree I need to get it perfect.

So, I think I'll polish up the shiny bits, strip the silver, and see where I am.

This is actually off of a parts car and I've already re-chromed my original, which looks absolutely amazing, but I have not repainted it yet. So, this will be for sale at some point, either original chrome with repaint, or fully re-chromed and option for buyer to repaint.

Thanks again for setting the bar.
pm
Peter
––
1970 Honda CT70