Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

JohnnyB66311
Roadster Nut
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: U20 Rebuild project

Post by JohnnyB66311 »

Yes I agree,
I like the tech stuff, keeps my mind going.
Yesterday I spoke with another mike via phone (not sure which mike), hours about stroker motor and roadster engine builds in general very nice. This mike I believe was heavy into roadster scene, not so much anymore from what I gathered. live in NOCAL.
Interesting exchange we had
Johnnyb66311
1966 311 daughter Father project
Dodge 1500 SRT
Sunbeam tiger
DBF 3rd generation "bubblehead"
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: U20 Rebuild project

Post by Gregs672000 »

Hi Tim, unfortunately I was not there to observe what method he used to machine the pistons. I think he turned them down in a lathe. Notice that he took a fair amount off the crown as well as the outside edge. I sure wish I had my other pictures, as I took several with them out and after being fully cleaned up. I lost all the pics of the build and everything. I don't know how much my head has been cut, but it's a fair amount. I found one pic of the head that was done to show detonation damage (rough spot next to the exhaust valve) and attached that. You can see some of the characteristic areas of the chamber and compare that to your uncut head. I could probably measure the tower shims for thickness, and maybe that will give some idea as they were selected (long ago) based on how much it was cut. The head has not been cut since then, only cleaned. Let me know! Regarding springs, good stock ones were deemed acceptable by my head guy, and he knows his stuff. However, I hear they can vary a lot, so do check them all. As I mentioned before, I'm using L-series spring retainers (I was calling them collets but that's the keepers) and lash pads. Some vendors offered L-series retainers that have a deeper well for the lash caps to sit in. I have not had a problem losing one but if you decide to make some changes there they might be something to consider.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA