New Paint Stripper

Discussion for product reviews! Coming sooner or later.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Steve_69
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

New Paint Stripper

Post by Steve_69 »

When I bought my project roadster a little over a year ago, I had planned to use Klean Strip Aircraft chemical stripper on it when I got around to doing the bodywork. Last year, that product was discontinued due to the Methylene Chloride. The replacement products do not work. So, my next plan was to have everything wet blasted (Dustless Blasting) and hope that it could be done effectively without warping panels. The guy is very experienced and has done many cars in the area. The estimate came out to be $1800. Ouch.

Last night, I saw a video for the latest Klean Strip Aircraft Ultra. I found that O'reilly's Auto Parts got some in. I tested it this morning to see if it really worked so that I could cancel my dustless blasting appointment. I am happy to say that it stripped right down to the metal pretty soundly. My car has many coats of paint with the top coat put on with a paint roller! This morning, it was 53 degrees outside. I imagine it will work better when warmer. I roughed up the surface with 80 grit sandpaper, put the stripper on pretty heavy and covered with plastic wrap and let it sit for 45 minutes. Not all of it blistered, but the parts that had not scrapped clean with a plastic scraper. I did most of a front fender for my test. The product is rather expensive, but much cheaper than the dustless blasting ($24 per quart and $77 per gallon in Tennessee). I may still use dustless blasting for some areas on the rust where it makes sense. Anyway, I have no reason to promote this product. I just thought that some of you would like to know that there is something (once again) that works.
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: New Paint Stripper

Post by Gregs672000 »

Always good to know. Maybe it can be added to our "products that work" thread.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
DAC21
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by DAC21 »

Steve_69 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:39 am When I bought my project roadster a little over a year ago, I had planned to use Klean Strip Aircraft chemical stripper on it when I got around to doing the bodywork. Last year, that product was discontinued due to the Methylene Chloride. The replacement products do not work. So, my next plan was to have everything wet blasted (Dustless Blasting) and hope that it could be done effectively without warping panels. The guy is very experienced and has done many cars in the area. The estimate came out to be $1800. Ouch.

Last night, I saw a video for the latest Klean Strip Aircraft Ultra. I found that O'reilly's Auto Parts got some in. I tested it this morning to see if it really worked so that I could cancel my dustless blasting appointment. I am happy to say that it stripped right down to the metal pretty soundly. My car has many coats of paint with the top coat put on with a paint roller! This morning, it was 53 degrees outside. I imagine it will work better when warmer. I roughed up the surface with 80 grit sandpaper, put the stripper on pretty heavy and covered with plastic wrap and let it sit for 45 minutes. Not all of it blistered, but the parts that had not scrapped clean with a plastic scraper. I did most of a front fender for my test. The product is rather expensive, but much cheaper than the dustless blasting ($24 per quart and $77 per gallon in Tennessee). I may still use dustless blasting for some areas on the rust where it makes sense. Anyway, I have no reason to promote this product. I just thought that some of you would like to know that there is something (once again) that works.
Thanks Steve
1967 1600 in waiting SPL311-09002 / R-28178
2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Sport Ultimate
Curtis
Site Supporter
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Curtis »

Used the new won't kill you in a closed space paint stripper, works for the most part as good as the other stuff.

Wet blasting, never again. Expensive and leaves wet media in every nook and cranny which can take weeks to get out if you're lucky.
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.