Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

another roadster on ebay for big $$$$

Post by Import_sounds-of-mid-GA »

Conner
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Conner »

I saw that car. It looks very nice. I even saved the picture of the engine bay so I know what it is supposed to look like. :)
I am surprised it has gone over $9k but it would definitely take a lot more than that to bring your average roadster up to that condition. Wonder how high it will go.
Andy Conner
SRL 311-01633
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

I bet it will go for close to what the buy it now is. Mike sold his other personal tall windshield car for more than that, and I think this is a much nicer car than that one.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

Well, no offense to those that dig this car, but for 20 large, I want side trim, side marker lights, rear reflectors and emblems intact! The nicest thing about a 69 is the teardrop marker lights!!!

Tough to tell, but it looks like it has a 67.5 fan shroud on it. If it is 2 piece, that is what it is.

Nice car otherwise. Is Mike getting out of the Roadster business??
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

spl310 wrote:Well, no offense to those that dig this car, but for 20 large, I want side trim, side marker lights, rear reflectors and emblems intact! The nicest thing about a 69 is the teardrop marker lights!!!
I could live w/o the emblems and molding.... obviously.... but the tear drops and round lights I LOVE!!!
Stacebug

Post by Stacebug »

If you're gonna spend near 20K...for about 1 thousand more , you can get the side trim, teardrops and the reflectors. Mike does beautiful work. I don't think 20K is overpriced for a perfect roadster. It would cost you that much to restore a roadster yourself. Also, finding people you can depend on to do the work. I guess it depends if you have the 20K.
Howard R
Roadsteraholic

Post by Howard R »

Stacebug wrote:If you're gonna spend near 20K...for about 1 thousand more , you can get the side trim, teardrops and the reflectors. Mike does beautiful work. I don't think 20K is overpriced for a perfect roadster. It would cost you that much to restore a roadster yourself. Also, finding people you can depend on to do the work. I guess it depends if you have the 20K.
I agree about finding competent people to do the work. The guy who previously owned my car had to sue the paint shop and it took 6 months to finish the job. I've heard horror stories. Plus, How much is your time worth?
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

Interesting. A while back, Andrew Murphy was selling his car - a numbers matching, frame off, solex 67.5 2000. It had a few custom touches (carbon fiber dash, roll bar, custom color upholstery, red engine rather than blue, etc), but was a frame off restored car by Ross. That is a very rare car and lots of folks drool over the thought of acquring such a car. It also had some very rare parts on it such as the correct early carbs, correct early aircleaner, everwing fog lamps, a period correct Empi steering wheel, Libre wheels, etc.

The car on ebay is an SU powered 69 2000 that has custom touches (side trim removed, emblems removed, what appears to be a Grant steering wheel, marker lights removed). It has Z car wheels which are fairly common to find.

Now, car A (Andrews car) should certainly command much more money than car B. The rarity of the car combined with the extras it has should give it more than a slight edge. Folks were dragging it down at 25k, but now folks are swooning over car B (Mikes car) at 20k. Am I missing something?
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Last edited by DELETED on Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

alving wrote:That being said...I doubt this roadster will sell for $20k on ebay, but it woul dbe cool if it did!
I dunno ppl getting money back from taxes, best time to sell a car. It would be awesome if it sold for 20g.... it would teach my family that a datsun is actually worth something
datsun65
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by datsun65 »

Unfortunately, Andrew's car was put up for sale as we were approaching Winter, versus Mike's which is for sale as we (at least here in CA) are starting to approach Spring.

Andrew's car was worth the asking price..Unfortunately, I think the season put a hard hit on the sales price of the car.
Dan
Houston, TX
67 1/2 1600

Post by 67 1/2 1600 »

I think the same guy who bought Andrew Murphy's car for 15k or so is the high bidder on Mikes 69 as well.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
67 1/2 1600

Post by 67 1/2 1600 »

Howard R
Roadsteraholic

Post by Howard R »

Good detective work Joaquin! :wink: I believe Andrew's car sold for 25K on Collectorcartrader.com. Later the sale fell thru. Andrew made such a point at the Japanese Classic Car Show that he would never settle for less than 25k although he had near 35-40k invested. And he didn't have to sell it because he had other assets. I can't be certain, but it sounds like he was up against the wall. Timing is very important. Andrew's buyer caught a break. Today, right now, if someone wants a black almost perfect car, that requires very little additions, this car might get near it's reserve. There aren't many cars in this shape for sale today. It's not like going into a dealership and walking out with what you want.