Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

Vihn,
On your alt next to the screw connection ( should be the one closest to the outer part of the alt) you will see an "E" which is for Earth or Ground. Should be a wire from here to the frame, usually black, look for a hole near the vin numbers on your frame right next to the alt for it to attach to frame. You will likely have to make this wire.
On the inner side of the alt (closest to engine) is a stud with a nut and next to it are the letters "Bat" or "B" for Battery, This is for the hot wire. Then there is a plug coming out of the alt with 4 wires in it to plug into your harness plug. The colors should match.
So, get that ground wire going first , then the "battery" wire which is the heavy white wire.
Hope this helps
Linda
68 1600
Last edited by Linda on Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ppeters914
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by ppeters914 »

Well, well, guess Linda was faster, however, her link only takes me to the "Join Webshots and your life will be wonderful" page. :? So, my turn...

I posted several pics in the General Category of the 311s.org Photo Album. Unfortunately, pics in the album don't display (known issue-no known solution), but the links will take you there.

This one shows the rear of a stock rebuilt alternator. Like Linda said, there's two posts. The one on the right marked BAT is the alternator output. This is the one where the heavy WHITE or WHITE/RED wire connects. The one on the left marked E is for EARTH or GROUND. Usually, like on my rebuilt alternator, the E will be a threaded hole to bolt your ground wire/strap to:

Here's a close-up of the BAT post. Notice how it continues into the alternator. The E or GROUND connection stops at the case.

Here's a rear shot of the GM alternator I installed that really shows the GROUND post. You can see my 10-gauge wire from alternator to frame, and the strap for engine block to frame:

And, finally, a pic where the grounds from the alternator GROUND post (10 gauge), battery negative post (4 gauge), and engine block (strap) bolt to the frame:

Hope this helps.
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

Oops!
Sorry about the bad link.....
Linda
68 1600
15422444502160.jpg
15422444968391.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Linda on Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Datsundude
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Datsundude »

Thanks for the pics and clarification on where the ground straps goes… I guess I have to find out this weekend when I get a chance to work on my car. I will keep you guys posted.

Thanks
Vinh
ppeters914
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by ppeters914 »

Just a disclaimer that that's how I did my grounds. There's a couple ways to skin this cat. Some folks run the alt ground to the engine block to the battery and then to the frame. The key thing is that all those components (and several others) need to be properly grounded to work correctly and/or not Flame Test any wiring and/or components. :shock:
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle