Has your stock Roadster ever left you stranded?

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Has your basically mechanically stock Roadster ever left you stranded such that you could not drive home?

Poll ended at Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:10 pm

Yes, but only due to a failure I induced (such as a wreck or a failure due to a modification) (please post a note indicating the failure)
18%
Yes, it left me stranded (please post a note indicating the failure)
27%
No, I have had failures, but was always able to get the car home under it's own power.
42%
No, I have never had a failure in a Roadster.
12%

Total votes: 33

spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Has your stock Roadster ever left you stranded?

Post by spl310 »

I am curious about the reliability of roadsters. As I posted in another thread, Roadsters have NEVER left me on the side of the road unable to make it home. I have had failures, but I have always been able to nurse the car home under it's own power. I cannot say that about just about any other car I have owned.

Now, I am talking cars that have a stock type Roadster engine - the G15, R16, U20 or even the H20 or a stroker 1600. I am not asking about engine swapped cars at this time. Perhaps that can be another poll at another time.

Try to be as candid in your response as possible! Please post a note indicating the type of failure that you had. There are 4 possible responses noted 1)a failure that was induced by either a wreck or some modification that was done to the car (not to pick on Alvin, but a good example is his lowering the car into the weeds and then hitting a rock with his comp oil pan and losing the oil), 2)a failure that left the car inoperable such that a tow truck or other assistance needed to be called, 3) a failure which did NOT result in an inoperable vehicle, and 4) a car which has never failed.

Thanks for participating!
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

Post by Import_sounds-of-mid-GA »

Even though I have been roadstering for only a year its only happened once and I got it home under its own power.... we (Dad and I) took it around the block(1mile round trip), we got goin and we felt a wobble but figured if I kept the speed down it would be ok to go the rest of the way. WRONG!! So we got about .2 miles from the house and the driveshaft bolts all popped out at 10mph (slowing for a stop sign) and the driveshaft is slapping the tranny tunnel making it wider.... and what caused that was the broken tranny mount. When the driveshaft had one bolt it jammed the fan into the radiator, hence the civic radiator and maxima fan. Well, i got the nuts on 2 bolts about 3 threads which was enough to get it home, and it wasnt long enough to over heat. I dont know if that story flows but if you take the time it will make sense!
itsa68
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by itsa68 »

Intermittent coil problem for a couple of days. New coil, no more problems.
This SPL hasnt stranded me since I've owned it (20+yrs).
Other owned SPL's were just as robust.

Ray B.
Thats not a R16 death rattle....its a dried leaf hitting my heater blower fan.
1968 SPL311 non-smog
Datrock
Roadsteraholic

Post by Datrock »

Hi Sid, great topic, hopefully it will not get highjacked. Yes, I have been stranded a couple of times. First I have to mention that we are talking over a 27 year span and 300,000 miles.
I once broke a couple studs that hold the rocker shaft in place on the 1600, It was an easy fix once I got it towed home. Other time my battery leaned over and bumped my distibutor, when this happened the rotor got out of line and made the car misfire, towed home.
I have blown about 5 headgaskets over the years and always limped home, except when I was in Reno. I did a head job in less than 8 hours and back on the road to finish trip. Also threw a 4 blade metal fan while in the fastlane, made it home. Oh yes, fried my throttle cables 50 miles from home, due to leaving off the starter ground.
I would say the 1600's are very reliable and I have never been standed with the U20 in the car.. Bill Cole
Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

Bill Cole wrote: fried my throttle cables 50 miles from home, due to leaving off the starter ground.
Hope you had some extra string!! Cable broke on my dads chevelle 45min from home at the dragstrip.... CRAP, srry, didnt mean to "highjack"
impinhigh
Certified Roadster Nut

one time

Post by impinhigh »

I had my stock 68 1600 delivered via transport to my work address and it had to be jumped started. I headed for home and gave it a good run but the battery was way gone along with the alternator and it finally gave up in downtown San Jose. With the help of my friendly AAA wrecker I made it home a few hours later.. no big deal for me but the wife was not amused. Since then I've had very few roadside repairs and no "DNF"
Matt Jacquet
Gilroy, Ca
68 Spl311 Stock-Silver
68 Spl311 Stock-White-Gone to a good home...
:(
Datrock
Roadsteraholic

Post by Datrock »

Evan, I hooked up one of my choke cables and hand throttled all the way home. With a little twist on the knob I also had cruise control.. Bill
Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

Niice! That had to be crazy with a stickshift!
It's a D-A-T-S-U-N
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by It's a D-A-T-S-U-N »

"Our" 70 1600 had been non-op for 3+ years with the PO. After a ignition tune up, spark plug replacement, and carb synchronization it was running well. During some test driving a couple of days later a few blocks from home, the engine started running rough (on 2cyls.). Pulled to the side of the road, checked the carburetor float overflow hoses, quickly diagnosed a problem w/the front carb. Restarted & limped (?) home. Replaced front carburetor float (sunk, cracked and 1/2 full of fuel), check of the rear carburetor float (OK) & float levels, preventative replacement of the fuel hoses, fuel filter and fuel pump. Runs strong now!
1968 SPL311
2000 Acura Integra GSR
2002 Honda S2000
Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

This thread is SO much fun!............ my front carb was messin up too in addition to my points, I troubleshot forever! That free 2 yr replacement for sparks plugs came in handy.... "need another set of free plugs after 2 weeks again?"
67 1/2 1600

Post by 67 1/2 1600 »

I had to push it across the border in mexico to CA, but that was due to crud in the tank. Then I ran out of gas 2 miles from a gas station. But nothing that I needed to be towed home it has never left me stranded where it could not jump back on its feet. Very reliable in my opinion!
Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

the most common phrase on this thread.... "very reliable".... all i gotsta say is DUH, its a nissan, not a ford :lol: (no offense to the ford folks.... :wink: )
JoeK
Roadster Fanatic

Post by JoeK »

The only failure I've had thus far was when my 5th gear went neutral on me. I was about 4 miles from home and made it back. People have told me that I could have done worse damage by continuing to drive, but I don't know if any further damage occured.

Granted, I haven't had the car all that long, maybe 4-5000 miles.
Joe
Former owner of:
'68 2L
BLK SRL
sold 12-11-2012
Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

JoeK wrote:The only failure I've had thus far was when my 5th gear went neutral on me. I was about 4 miles from home and made it back. People have told me that I could have done worse damage by continuing to drive, but I don't know if any further damage occured.

Granted, I haven't had the car all that long, maybe 4-5000 miles.
Im told my tranny is bout to go, but Im a foolish irresponsible teenager so I shall continue untill i haveth not a good tranny!.... and my grandfather said he will buy me one when I find one ..... that brings me to my next thread jacking...... anybody got a 5spd for sale??
Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

alving wrote: "How often do you have to fiddle with your roadster's drivetrain?"
heh, i wish.... oops, just killed the argument for the roadsters :lol: