Tach/Speedo Cables from Sin City Datsun

Discussion for product reviews! Coming sooner or later.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

cbez
Roadster Fanatic

Tach/Speedo Cables from Sin City Datsun

Post by cbez »

Both my needles were quite bouncy. An attempt to clean and lube the originals quickly ended when the housing sprayed cleaning fluid all down the decayed length like a fountain.

Finally got a chance to install both of Brian's reproduction cables and they seem nice. My tach was immediately rock steady - speedo still somewhat bouncy. Possibly an issue with the speedo or output on the trans.

I noticed my old cables had a plastic 'trumpet' in both, that face the dizzy/trans sides, that are not present in Brian's. Mine may not be stock anyway...I was able to re-use my old one on the tach cable, but the new speedo cable housing was too small. Again, I don't even know if these are a normal part, I mainly see discussions about the other internal seals.

The cable lengths seemed good. Speedo perhaps a little long on my R16 - I had to do some creative routing to take up some extra length. Or I somehow found the stock routing and my old one was wrong.

The hardware and fasteners are good, not flawless better-than-new quality but nice and serviceable. The threads seemed to be a slightly loose fit on the dizzy/trans compared to the old cables, but they did snug up. Speedo/tach threads felt normal.

The housing itself feels different - slightly softer and a little 'puffy' almost compared to most housings I've felt. I can't say if it's better or worse as I don't know the material.

Will report back after more miles on how they are holding up.
SPL311-02085