For the racers out there!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

zippy67roadster
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Swapped my 4.62 LSD for a 5.12 Locker

Post by zippy67roadster »

So yesterday I took a couple hours to swap the 4.62 LSD out of my #13 vintage race car and put in a 5.12 locker. I have a race coming up next weekend at Eagles Canyon Raceway and the track is tight and technical with no long straightaways. I have raced there twice before and the car just didn't get out of the corners like I wanted to and I never got the ultra close 5 speed into 5th gear. I can't wait to see what this does to lap times next weekend. I made a video of the swap so anyone looking to swap their 3rd member will know what they need to do. Watch the video to the end and see me test drive it in my neighborhood. Also subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don't miss any Part of the Week videos or videos of me racing the #13.
1967 Datsun SPL311-08935-vintage race car
1967 Datsun SPL311-10123 project
1967 Datsun 411 wagon
67.5 SPL311 Vintage Race car project
64 NL320 Pickup Truck
Brian
http://www.sincitydatsuns.com
https://www.facebook.com/sincitydatsuns
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Swapped my 4.62 LSD for a 5.12 Locker

Post by theunz »

Nice video on the third member change. I noticed that you have soft lines to the rear brakes. On my 69 2000 they are ridged all the way to the wheel cylinder. This meant having to disconnect the brake lines and then having to bleed them which adds a lot of extra time to the swap. My solution was to have some custom stainless lines made which are long enough to slide the axles far enough to disengage the third member. I love the “zip” from my 4:62’s but not so much fun on the hi way, so I swap out every now and then.
Oh, about your “ hint hint” on parts to reproduce, how about some LSD clutch plates?
P.S. while you have the 5:12’s in you need to make the short trip to Hallett where they will be just the ticket. Check out their COMMA series, lots of race weekends and a little cheaper then SCCA. And any time you want to come and race I can put you up in my separate mother in law apartment about 45 easy minutes to Hallett.
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
zippy67roadster
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: Swapped my 4.62 LSD for a 5.12 Locker

Post by zippy67roadster »

theunz wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:25 pm Nice video on the third member change. I noticed that you have soft lines to the rear brakes. On my 69 2000 they are ridged all the way to the wheel cylinder. This meant having to disconnect the brake lines and then having to bleed them which adds a lot of extra time to the swap. My solution was to have some custom stainless lines made which are long enough to slide the axles far enough to disengage the third member. I love the “zip” from my 4:62’s but not so much fun on the hi way, so I swap out every now and then.
Oh, about your “ hint hint” on parts to reproduce, how about some LSD clutch plates?
P.S. while you have the 5:12’s in you need to make the short trip to Hallett where they will be just the ticket. Check out their COMMA series, lots of race weekends and a little cheaper then SCCA. And any time you want to come and race I can put you up in my separate mother in law apartment about 45 easy minutes to Hallett.
Thanks for the suggestion on the parts. Yes there is usually a hard line all the way to the brake cylinder and we modified it so we could do these diff swaps at the track without having to bleed the brakes. Hallett is our next race in October but I am not sure if I will be able to make it. I heard it is a fun track and really want to go but I can't blow off the day job for it.
1967 Datsun SPL311-08935-vintage race car
1967 Datsun SPL311-10123 project
1967 Datsun 411 wagon
67.5 SPL311 Vintage Race car project
64 NL320 Pickup Truck
Brian
http://www.sincitydatsuns.com
https://www.facebook.com/sincitydatsuns