Put part numbers and suppliers here!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Habitat.pat
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

5 speed speedometer drive gear sources.

Post by Habitat.pat »

I’m not ready yet but I will need to source at least one speedometer drive gear for my new 5 speed. There is no gear or holder in the trans now, so I suspect I’ll need to try several before I get the correct one. Does anyone have a set for loan/rent to determine which one I need to purchase? I’d buy the correct gear from whoever has a kit if possible. Used would be fine.

I see Dean has the gears separately, but I don’t want to buy a lot more than I need.

Please correct me if I’m wrong, the gears & holder are different between the 4 speed & 5 speed.

Peace,
Pat
67.5 SPL311 Stroker Restomod
02 Silverado 1500 Tow vehicle
17 Camry current daily driver
Pat Horne, Near Austin, TX
We support Habitat for Humanity
A hand UP, not a hand OUT
rwmann
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: 5 speed speedometer drive gear sources.

Post by rwmann »

There are two pinion holders/sleeves, one for up to 19 tooth pinions, and another for 20 tooth or more. The difference in the sleeves is the offset of the pinion shaft, required because of the larger diameter of pinions with 20 or more teeth. There is a clocking difference as well, which really has to be engineered with the installation, cutting a slightly different slot for the locking tab held by retainer nut. Pinions vary from 16 to 23 teeth, each a different color, with some as scarce as hen’s teeth. FWIW, I use a red, 20 tooth pinion with a 5-speed, 3.90 rear end, and 206/60R14 tires, replacing the stock, white 18-tooth pinion.

The wiki has the following: http://www.311s.org/pmwiki-311/pmwiki.p ... rannyGears