Competition Springs, Which to use??

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Redtail

Post by Redtail »

Cutting a stock spring will also increase its rate by roughly 10 percent for each coil removed. Two coils equals a 20-percent increase in spring rate.
Does this sound about right? so if you remove one coil on a stock spring the rate would increase from 700lb to ~800lb?

does anyone here run cut stock springs on the street?
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

Post by Import_sounds-of-mid-GA »

alving wrote:I think the problem is how much to cut, where and how predictable is the resulting spring rate? Very tough to gauge.
A rule to remember.... a little is a lot. Believe me, I know, I didnt want my car to be as low as it is but i miscalculated...
Redtail

Post by Redtail »

mmm yeah. i'd like my roadster to be a little lower in the front, but I don't really want stiffer springs. I'd like to keep the ride comfortable for my commute....maybe the solution is sport springs + another car for my commute!
Conner
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Conner »

Yes, the correct answer to this question is to add a 2-liter to your fleet!!!
Andy Conner
SRL 311-01633
TurboRagtop
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by TurboRagtop »

Alvin,
Yes, I weighed it and it comes in at around 2,300 with me (@ 165) in it, full fuel tank.
It just feels front-heavy, and bounces too much over bumps. My Konis are very old, like over 10 years on the car. But they have a lifetime warranty, so I would like to know: do you think I need the shocks replaced?
Karl Payne, Gilbert, AZ
1966 1600 roadster, 2.3L EFI Turbo Ford engine, FMIC, 2.5" exhaust, T-5 trans, 300ZX big brakes, stand-alone Megasquirt ECU/TunerStudio
Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

does it feel like hard springs or like no shocks?
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
JoeK
Roadster Fanatic

Post by JoeK »

I've been told I have cut springs, but don't have anything to compare them with. I take that back, I have a set of springs that came with the car, but I don't know anything about them, and have never compared them with what I have on there now. Todd Osborne took one look under my car and said I had cut springs.

I like the ride of my car, and I like the height. The front end is a bit hard to take over hard bumps at good speed, but cutting my bumpstops down made a huge difference.
Joe
Former owner of:
'68 2L
BLK SRL
sold 12-11-2012
Skyman
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Skyman »

I can't really say much about performance or handleing but it is pretty level right now without the body. You can see here www.muddycreekcoffee.com/html/level.html

I have both, Nissan comp springs up front, and Nissan comp springs on the rear. I have been told that the Comp rear springs from Nissan can be VERY stiff. Some have even recommended removing a spring.

Kyle
Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

Skyman wrote:I can't really say much about performance or handleing but it is pretty level right now without the body. You can see here www.muddycreekcoffee.com/html/level.html

I have both, Nissan comp springs up front, and Nissan comp springs on the rear. I have been told that the Comp rear springs from Nissan can be VERY stiff. Some have even recommended removing a spring.

Kyle

WOAH!!!! PRETTY!!!!! (im drooling!!)
Is that the original color or is it for another brand??(PM me, i dont want to take it off topic)
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

Thats going to be a sweet looking car when you are done. Glad to see the U20 in there. What color is the body going to be?

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
Skyman
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Skyman »

The engine, a-arms, and steering/control box have been painted with a paint from one of the vendors. It is supposed to be the stock blueish color but I have seen others that aren't quite that green. It looks good anyway. May not win ponts at Solvang :wink:

I am hoping to paint it Sora Blue or Dark Silver. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread.

Kyle