The old saying is "measure twice..... cut once".

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Ivin

The old saying is "measure twice..... cut once".

Post by Ivin »

The old saying is "measure twice..... cut once". Well that is what I wish to do so I am being very careful. I am in the process of replacing the axle bearings on one side of my rear axle. I took everything apart very carefully but proceeded to accidentally kick over my tray and got the parts out of order. So help is appreciated?

I purchased a new axle kit which included a collar, bearings grease catcher etc. I had already gone to the machine shop and had the old collar removed so it is time to put it all back together. Since you only get one shot, I want to get it right. Can anyone help me by listing in order which part goes on first, second, third etc?

Thanks in advance

Ivin
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:Huh-rearend parts

Post by S Allen »

You know what? I just had mine apart last week and am not 100% positive but here goes---seal/mounting plate, brake backing plate, bearing/collar. On my '66 there were none of the shims for the bearing pre-load. Hope I did not confuse the issue more than help.

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
Ivin

Axle Stuff

Post by Ivin »

Thanks Steve,

I went over to the local shop this afternoon and my friend showed me the order. If I ever get some time and we confirm that I have it correct, I'll try to write something up. Please take a look at the pictures and order and let me know what you think?

Thanks

http://community.webshots.com/user/ivin100

Ivin
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:Axle Reassembly

Post by S Allen »

Ivin,

It looks right to me. An article would be great.

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
Ivin

Axle rebuild is a success!

Post by Ivin »

All went okay with my rear axle and getting the collar pressed on. Looks good and I can clearly see that was the reason that my tire was hitting the fender.

Almost had a problem since I forgot to add the shims at the time that I had the collar pressed on. Luckyly, I was able to add them after the fact (it was very difficult).

One last question. I was going to replace the inner seal attached to the differential. This is the seal that the collar sits in. My question is does the new seal sit with the cutout groove facing out or in towards the differential? I haven't removed the old one yet.

Thanks

Steve I will write this up since it could save someone a lot of time.

Thanks

Ivin

Ivin
TR

Post by TR »

Hey guys,

There is a procedure for measuring the required thickness of the thin metal shims. The whole axle and bearing setup is supposed to be installed, measured, then shimmed to compensate for variances in the parts.

The side of the seal with the spring, the side with the groove goes toward the oil. The flat side is the dry side. That is the way almost all seals are intended to be used.

I'll see if I can find the procedure...
TR

Post by TR »

Found the spec. on the axle end-play. Chilton's claims it is .012 to .020" for the 510 wagon (which has a very similar axle arrangement). I remember seeing .012" Minimum somewhere else before, too.

BTW - Increased bearing wear and thus heat and decreased life can be expected without enough shim (I've seen cars without any), wheel rattle at the far other extreme.

Hope that helps your...rear end. I couldn't resist...! TR