Put part numbers and suppliers here!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

SLW4491
Forum Newb
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Brake upgrade

Post by SLW4491 »

Just watched the Wheeler Dealers episode where Ant installs Volvo (240?) brake kit on the 1969 Datsun Roadster 2000 as a direct bolt on. (Made it look easy of course. "Only took minutes."). Rotors and calipers and pads looked like a significant upgrade. Does anyone have any idea where to get such a bolt on kit? Thanks.
DAC21
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: Brake upgrade

Post by DAC21 »

Old thread that you might be interested in.

http://www.311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=12775
1967 1600 in waiting SPL311-09002 / R-28178
2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Sport Ultimate
todd lorber
Roadsteraholic

Post by todd lorber »

Doing that upgrade definitely give more gripping at the front end. Just know that these cars (pretty much all cars) are engineered to have the fronts and rears work together-i.e. balanced. When you introduce more clamping in the front, the rears will then have proportionately less impact. To compensate for this, you will either need to increase braking hardware in the rear, or get a proportioning valve and dial it in (presumably with trial and error) in order to compensate.

Generally speaking, unless you are tracking the car and worried about heat buildup, a well functioning stock system is adequate. Now, if you are planning on adding a bunch of horsepower, upgrading all four corners would be a good call.
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
AidanDawn2000
Roadsteraholic

Post by AidanDawn2000 »

Woo my time to shine!

Just did this swap a month ago and might be able to help!
For me this swap was motivated just as much by cost as by any performance benefits. I hear the people who say stock can work very well and it is a valid point that the donlop design was shared with everything from heavy Jags to Le Mans Ferraris and Astons. But my stock brakes weren’t in the best shape and finding new ones or even resleaving was going to be prohibitively expensive.

So anyways.... finding 92 Volvo front calipers was actually a bit tough but once I did they were only $40 a side (make sure you give them something or core charge can be brutal) and install was very easy thanks to the great kit from Mike http://www.bluehandsinc.com/311-roadst ... e-kit.html
Total was
+$80 for the calipers
+$220 for the kit and machined vented rotors that came with it including shipping
+$26 for two new braided stainless brake hoses with banjo ends (some kind of 90° fitting like a banjo is needed when moving to the Volvo setup)
+$21 dirt cheap ceramic brake pads from amazon.

$347 total

Don’t really have more bite than stock (at least not with these off brand $20 pads) but they are 100 times more fade resistant.
Oil a little low? Time to get a longer dipstick:)
Instagram!!!
1968 2000 SRL311-05110 (first car! Rust Bucket. Sold :( )
1969 2000 SRL311-10440 (matching numbers, Solex!)
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

Yes the Dunlops were used on Jaguar XKE and the Jag owners complain about the brakes not holding up under heavy braking conditions. XKE weighs 500 pounds more. I have not done enough hard braking to experience this and when I hit the brakes it stops. Of course they lock up under full braking, no ABS on these cars.

They make a brake upgrade kit for the Jags and I am currently waiting for the Datsun model in aluminum. The covid interfered with the testing. But they will not be $347 like the Volvo ones you just did. They will however bolt on with no modifications.
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
Pjackb
Roadsteraholic

Post by Pjackb »

I happen to have 3 cars each with a different brake kit
Car #1 has stock brakes in fair condition
Car #2 has Volvo brakes (and rear disks)
Car #3 has Wilwood Dynalyte with larger custom rotors

Car #1-2 are very similar in their braking capabilities and feel #1 needs a little more pressure to bite but I know it’s because the car had sat for a long time and new pads adjustments would correct that , all in all I feel performance wise there’s not much benefits , but there’s definitely a cost advantage if you need to overhaul the brakes

Car#3 is in a different league, braking is crisp and strong and has a fully modern feel . It’s a totally different car. Cost for the kit from DRP is about $700 plus the rotors and you can go with regular roadster rotors

YMMV
AidanDawn2000
Roadsteraholic

Post by AidanDawn2000 »

Pjackb wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:01 am I happen to have 3 cars each with a different brake kit
Car #1 has stock brakes in fair condition
Car #2 has Volvo brakes (and rear disks)
Car #3 has Wilwood Dynalyte with larger custom rotors

Car #1-2 are very similar in their braking capabilities and feel #1 needs a little more pressure to bite but I know it’s because the car had sat for a long time and new pads adjustments would correct that , all in all I feel performance wise there’s not much benefits , but there’s definitely a cost advantage if you need to overhaul the brakes

Car#3 is in a different league, braking is crisp and strong and has a fully modern feel . It’s a totally different car. Cost for the kit from DRP is about $700 plus the rotors and you can go with regular roadster rotors

YMMV
Great share! What did the WW kit comprise? just sweet calipers? New master? Booster? Are the rotors vented?
Last edited by AidanDawn2000 on Fri May 07, 2021 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oil a little low? Time to get a longer dipstick:)
Instagram!!!
1968 2000 SRL311-05110 (first car! Rust Bucket. Sold :( )
1969 2000 SRL311-10440 (matching numbers, Solex!)
RustyBucket
Roadster Fanatic

Post by RustyBucket »

For FYI - and giggles there is --> (www.new-datsun-parts.com) has a kit "RBB01 VOLVO 22 MM SLOTTED AND DRILLED VENTED ROTOR BRAKE KIT $770.00" .

I was told that the stock Brake master cylinder has enough pressure to work with the upgrade. Although the car has stock drums on the rear. - The question of the :pressure balance: between front and rear systems requires some investigation though.. My understanding is that 60% of the stopping power comes from the Front, so if there is an expert on the forum, I'd like to know if a pressure valve is needed ??

THanks
redroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by redroadster »

I was a Volvo tech
those rotors 2.5 x a 311 rotor weight. The 244 could of had a gun turret a top it ..a tank
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
RustyBucket
Roadster Fanatic

Post by RustyBucket »

I had a 265 Diesel wagon ( great car) , traded in for a 740 turbo wagon , sold to get a 850 , ( had 4 of them, and gave them to my sons to drive- for safety sake) then a couple of old "V" series- All were shade-tree mechanically supported.

None of which were really that hard to work on since the Swedes figured that a human would have to be able to get physical access to the bits that need to periodically repaired/replaced. When Volvo went Chinese - I was done.

Give Me the Old "Built like a Swedish Brick S#i+HOUSE" - they were FANTASTIC .
IMHO
RustyBucket
Roadster Fanatic

Post by RustyBucket »

BRAKE UPGRADE TO VOLVO BITS...

Just found this link ( thanks to whoever originally posted it !!)
​https://www.nicoclub.com/archives/datsu ... ipers.html
redroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by redroadster »

RustyBucket wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:52 am I had a 265 Diesel wagon ( great car) , traded in for a 740 turbo wagon , sold to get a 850 , ( had 4 of them, and gave them to my sons to drive- for safety sake) then a couple of old "V" series- All were shade-tree mechanically supported.

None of which were really that hard to work on since the Swedes figured that a human would have to be able to get physical access to the bits that need to periodically repaired/replaced. When Volvo went Chinese - I was done.

Give Me the Old "Built like a Swedish Brick S#i+HOUSE" - they were FANTASTIC .
IMHO
You could make / flag 8 hours in 2.5 hours
My dealership in Mo. Had 95 % KS clientele by appointment
I had 14 to 16 hours by 2:30 pm 50% of the time and took off
Too bad Datsuns didn't use the same steel ...it was hard to get it to rust
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
RustyBucket
Roadster Fanatic

Post by RustyBucket »

Had 95 % KS clientele by appointment ??

None of my Volvos had or developed rust. Swedish think of that issue, they did a great job engineering the drainage and rust proofing processes. To bad Nissan didn't think of putting the plastic inner fender wells liners and sealing the spot welded panel joints !! Would have saved a lot of labor now :-(
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

If anyone wants some volvo calipers, I have some cheap. We bought them for other projects, but have no use for them. Just pm or email//
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!