What springs do I have?

Here you can post pictures of those unidentified parts so others in the know can help.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Renegade
Roadster Newby
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

What springs do I have?

Post by Renegade »

New member here. I’m trying to identify my front springs. They look fairly new. They’re stamped Datsun Parts 54010-25511. I’ve searched on their website, on this one and googled the number. I’ve come up with nothing.
I ask, because my newly acquired car rides a little rougher than I expect. The front suspension seems harsh and quick to bottom out when going over bumps. I’m curious if these are supposed to be a stock height, or something else.
Thanks - Aron
[img2] https://share.icloud.com/photos/0R1oZO0 ... PyrPeLp7LQ[/img2][img2] https://share.icloud.com/photos/0IHPbNX ... iTZ52RxuxQ[/img2]
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Re: What springs do I have?

Post by notoptoy »

Easy enough to check with Dean at Datsunparts.com
https://www.datsunparts.com/Suspension
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

Harsh ride generally means a stiff spring while bottoming out would mean that the spring is too soft for the bumps encountered. Kind of opposite to each other.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

With all performance Springs that lower the car you have to cut the bump stops, some more than others depending on the spring. You're probably hitting the stops. Shocks can make a significant change in how the car feels, but their primary job is to control the spring. The Bilsteins are my preferred shock, but I'd start first with examining your bump stops, as any shock will feel harsh if the springs are hitting something solid. Once the springs are free to "spring" (to a point of course, the stops are there for a reason), you can decide on the Shocks and align that with what ever budget you have, if any. For me, the Bs were worth every dime spent.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Renegade
Roadster Newby
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Renegade »

Thanks Greg. I think your on to something. After looking again my driver's side stop is broken the passenger is intact. I feel like the passenger side is where I experience the most of a bottoming out effect.
My suspicion now is that the stops are too high. I guess I'll try swapping those out and see what the effect is.
iloveredmeat
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by iloveredmeat »

Gregs672000 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:33 am With all performance Springs that lower the car you have to cut the bump stops, some more than others depending on the spring. You're probably hitting the stops. Shocks can make a significant change in how the car feels, but their primary job is to control the spring. The Bilsteins are my preferred shock, but I'd start first with examining your bump stops, as any shock will feel harsh if the springs are hitting something solid. Once the springs are free to "spring" (to a point of course, the stops are there for a reason), you can decide on the Shocks and align that with what ever budget you have, if any. For me, the Bs were worth every dime spent.
Buy that man a beer!

Perfect reply. Excellent advice. Gold star. :smt023
Peter
––
1967.5 1600 – Second Owner – Under Reconstruction
1970 Honda CT70
1953 Airstream 21' Flying Cloud – Second Owner
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

It's fun to try to help... here's a pic of the bump stop. The car is on stands right now so the suspension is at full drop but you can see the bump stop on the end of the tower behind the tye rod. It's cut in half. You can also see where it contacts the upper spring perch or whatever you call that...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA