Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

iloveredmeat
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

NOS Brake Pads - Are they safe?

Post by iloveredmeat »

Hi Everyone,

I bought these Vera Disc Pads, Part Number D 52, with some other Roadster parts, and don't know anything about them.

Do you think they are more- or less-dangerous than shiny chrome interior accents?

Seriously, do y'all think they'd be safe to use?

Thank you,
Peter

Peter
––
1967.5 1600 – Second Owner – Under Reconstruction
1970 Honda CT70
1953 Airstream 21' Flying Cloud – Second Owner
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Re: NOS Brake Pads - Are they safe?

Post by notoptoy »

Vera Disc brake pads are listed as a "Nissan original Equip provider" on some newer version Nissan models https://www.coulterpartscenter.com/niss ... s.ALthough now that I think about it, that is probably a typo for the Versa!
I did also find this from the BeckArnley web page history timeline: "1990
Beck/Arnley continues to acquire import distributor such as Vera and Lazorbrite, which added both new customer bases and product lines to the portfolio."

Otherwise I can't find anything on them. Besides, it clearly states on the box that it meets as STATE Requirements. (Who needs federal standards??)
I would use them, but I do like shiny chrome on my dash.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
iloveredmeat

Post by iloveredmeat »

notoptoy wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:59 pm I would use them, but I do like shiny chrome on my dash.
Shiny chrome?!?!

You daredevil. This is exactly the kind of reckless advice that's going to get someone hurt!

And equally troubling... I don't remember the state from which I bought them... so, I better figure that out because what if they don't work here in CA?

Truly... thank you for the advice, they look and seem very solid, and I will give them a go.

Thanks again,
Peter
Peter
––
1970 Honda CT70
redroadster
Roadsteraholic
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by redroadster »

Let's see the rotors , I'd worry bout them more ...glazed rotors are dangerous be careful until the pads break in
Turning rotors and installing new pads the customers think it should brake just flawless , but it will be less stopping power until the pads smooth up and the rotors glass up more
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
oledatsunguy
Roadster Newby

Post by oledatsunguy »

My primary addiction in the old car hobby is Studebakers. In '63-'66, Studebaker used front disc brakes made under license by Bendix, but these were the Dunlop design (like used on the Datsun Roadsters). Anyway, I have several of the disc brake Studebakers, and actually prefer the NOS (original factory supplied as well as quality aftermarket from the '60s/early '70s) pads because the pad composition stops so much better than the typical friction material that you get today. I have never had an issue with NOS pads, and I don't baby them. My 2 cents worth.
Datsunparts.comInc
Roadsteraholic

Post by Datsunparts.comInc »

notoptoy wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:59 pm Vera Disc brake pads are listed as a "Nissan original Equip provider" on some newer version Nissan models https://www.coulterpartscenter.com/niss ... s.ALthough now that I think about it, that is probably a typo for the Versa!
Beck/Arnley continues to acquire import distributor such as Vera and Lazorbrite, which added both new customer bases and product lines to the portfolio."

Otherwise I can't find anything on them. Besides, it clearly states on the box that it meets as STATE Requirements. (Who needs federal standards??)
Vera or as they were known before they folded VERA/IPS were an after market supplier with an organic replacement pad never a OEM supplier to Nissan, at least on this part number and vehicle. Generally a standard, nothing special pad made all over the world. During this era Repco made a D52D pad that was of better material. Later even Repco changed the material and those pads were a disappointment.

Dean
New Shopping cart web-site. More parts on display in our showroom than most vendors carry in their entire inventory! 2900 active parts numbers in our catalog. 2020 Inventory piece count- 96,155 parts on hand! "Shop A Movie" at our web-site
iloveredmeat

Post by iloveredmeat »

redroadster wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:44 pm Let's see the rotors , I'd worry bout them more ...glazed rotors are dangerous be careful until the pads break in
Turning rotors and installing new pads the customers think it should brake just flawless , but it will be less stopping power until the pads smooth up and the rotors glass up more
Thank redroadster... I will be resurfacing the rotors for sure.
Datsunparts.comInc wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:04 pm
notoptoy wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:59 pm Vera Disc brake pads are listed as a "Nissan original Equip provider" on some newer version Nissan models https://www.coulterpartscenter.com/niss ... s.ALthough now that I think about it, that is probably a typo for the Versa!

Vera or as they were known before they folded VERA/IPS were an after market supplier with an organic replacement pad never a OEM supplier to Nissan, at least on this part number and vehicle. Generally a standard, nothing special pad made all over the world. During this era Repco made a D52D pad that was of better material. Later even Repco changed the material and those pads were a disappointment.

Dean
Thank you Dean, I should've figured you'd know the answer!

So, since I will be really just cruising the streets, will do a Palomar run now and again, but won't be racing – my takeaway is that, with resurfaced rotors, new pistons, and refurbished calipers, these shoes will work just fine. And I can spend that money on a better horn button!

Sound about right? Thanks everyone!
Peter
Peter
––
1970 Honda CT70