Discuss engine swap details here!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

JagerTex
Roadster Nut
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Chassis (not frame) Alterations? Researching potential 2.0 LTG swap

Post by JagerTex »

Hey everyone! Apologies in advance for the proposed heresy of installing a non JDM motor...

I've been toying with the idea of attempting a GM L850 swap (specifically the 2.0L LTG available in '13+ Cadillac ATS and a lot of other vehicles). They're cheap and becoming increasingly more available around me (if I keep my eyes open, there's a good chance I could pick up an entire drivetrain for ~$400-500 on a 1/2 price pick-your-part day). SR20s near me are 4-5x that (and still a lot older)

Rough external dimensions are 23.53" Long, 27.41" Wide and 27.45" Tall, dressed. IIRC, they're driver side exhaust, and rear sump to boot. ( https://paceperformance.com/files/content/ltg-dims.JPG )

I'm fairly sure that it will fit between the actual frame rails, with a reasonable notch in the front cross member (no more severe than an SR20DE swap) - **but** it looks like it will likely require a more significant notch to the internal support/body nearing the fenders. Does anyone have rough estimates of the maximum size of a notch I could create there safely? Specifically, the main box-tube running over the frame rails.

Already intending to relocate the battery to the trunk, and there are some minor-ish metal repairs that I need to make to this area anyway (assuming it was battery acid issues)

Always willing to spend the time, if not the money... and I'm aware that any solution I want will take both. ;)
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Re: Chassis (not frame) Alterations? Researching potential 2.0 LTG swap

Post by fj20spl311 »

People have installed the earlier ecotec motor. The direct injection motor will have its own set of problems if you don't get EVERYTHING.
Looks like a fun project, but I suggest another route if you are trying to save money. "First" time installs tend to spiral out of control.
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
Pjackb
Roadsteraholic

Post by Pjackb »

Yager
So a couple of things
One, my friend is in the final stage of installing the LNF version of the same engine 2.0L turbo out of a Solstice , he is no mechanic and has done a good chunk of the swap himself so it wasn’t too complex however there is one thing you need to know right of the bat is that you will need to cut the X in the frame in order to line up the engine and transmission properly (if not they’re at an angle to each other and you’ll need some Ujoints )

Two and more importantly I’ve had 3 cars now with this engine ‘13 ATS 6sp RWD, ‘15 ATS AWD, and now an XT4 , I’ve enjoyed these cars very much and they have very good power but I’ve never thought of these engine as performance engine, and they would be far down my list compared to what else is available

YMMV
137556040_1597505843766868_4683771102814928822_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alvin
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by Alvin »

JagerTex wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:57 pm Hey everyone! Apologies in advance for the proposed heresy of installing a non JDM motor...
There's no need for that. You are in the Engine Swap section. Build for yourself!
JagerTex wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:57 pm Does anyone have rough estimates of the maximum size of a notch I could create there safely? Specifically, the main box-tube running over the frame rails.
While I defer to someone with actual fabrication skills, it sounds like your engine clearance issue is width. Are there accessories that can be re-located to gain space? Can you mount it higher to clear the inner fender rail?

If those are not options, how wide of a cut might be limited by your A-Arm/shock. I would also think that anything you cut here can be reinforced from the wheel side, so it's not visible in the engine bay.

I'm stealing one of Michael's SR20DET install pics to help illustrate, more can be seen here:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7326
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
Slackline
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Slackline »

I was looking at the LCV. 200+hp, extremely stout bottom end, but very tall at 27.8" from pan to filler cap. With my car sitting on the ground and hood closed, I put a tape measure from the floor to the hood and only got about 30" at the front and 32" at the rear.

But, where there is a will, there is a way...

You can also check the engine swap dimensions thread for some more research.
Rob

66 Datsun 1600 / K24
2021 CT4-V Blackwing
eye
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by eye »

On mr SR swap, I followed Mikes lead but fabricated the inner fender with a 1/2 radius inset that would keep the cold side to the intercooler inside the engine bay. It was a lot of work but goes to show that the inner fender can be modified as long as you pay attention to tire clearances.

It has worked out well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
projects at 329art instagram
more junk 329art.com
DAC21
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by DAC21 »

eye wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:43 pm On mr SR swap, I followed Mikes lead but fabricated the inner fender with a 1/2 radius inset that would keep the cold side to the intercooler inside the engine bay. It was a lot of work but goes to show that the inner fender can be modified as long as you pay attention to tire clearances.

It has worked out well.
Gorgeous!!!!
1967 1600 in waiting SPL311-09002 / R-28178
2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Sport Ultimate