Prestolite Elec Ignition

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Skyman
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Prestolite Elec Ignition

Post by Skyman »

Hey all. I have a new distributor from Nissan I will be installing in my project car. My question is, should I keep it stock or should I go for the electronic ignition? There is one on Ebay (Prestolite) I am thinking of getting. Anyone have experience in electronic vs. non? My 69 ran fine on the points system. Maybe other brands that are better? I have only posted on this board for a couple of days and the response from everyone is awesome. I look forward to many discussions in the future.

BTW, who insures their car as a "classic car"?

Kyle
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:Electronic vs Points

Post by S Allen »

No contest-go with the electronic. Most everyone going electronic uses a Gary Boone converted EI dizzy but several have made their own from various parts. An EI dizzy provides quicker starting, better idling and increased performance through-out the power band. Points can be crap out of the box, burn, and just tend to wear out after a while. I run GB's EI dizzy in my '72 240Z and all the roadsters I have owned. Performance is outstanding. My three cents any way. 8)

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
datsunrides

Post by datsunrides »

I have my classic cars insured through Hagarty. You state a value you feel your car is worth, should it ever get totaled, send them pictures of your car and if they agree with your value, you are set. Just be reasonable with your assesment and it shouldn't be an issue. As an example, my 73' 240z is insured for $8000, my 72' R/S Camaro is insured for $10,000, my 67' chevy P/U is insured for $8000, and my 72' 1200 is covered for $4500. I would have to check my statement to be sure but I believe I only pay around $400 a year for FULL coverage. That is a bargain if you ask me conpared to what mainstream insurance companies would charge.
1966 Roadster
Turbo / EFI U20 (T25 w/ SDS EMU.)
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

I used the Crane system, was no big deal at all. Same situation, I got a fresh rebuilt dist cheap. There are 2 versions XR-700 is what I have, needs a resistor the other one, XR-3000 I think, one uses a 12 volt coil.
An MSD would be the final touch, if you wanted. If you will add an MSD, get the XR-700, it's cheaper and will trigger the MSD which fires a 12 volt coil.

A Gary Boone would be the easiest, but if you already bought the distributor.... Or sell it and get a Boone. Either way, compared to points any electronic is better.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit