New member needs a roadster

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

J P D

New member needs a roadster

Post by J P D »

Hey fellow datsun nuts,

My name is John and I live in Chicago IL. I have a sale pending on my 71 and 72 240z's this comming weekend. Once they are sold I will be shoping around for a roadster project. It took me a good long while to find my z's and it seems that roadsters are even more scarce, unless your in cali. It appears all the roadsters for sale are on the west coast. Anyway ive been looking around for info on roadsters and this site seems to be the most informative and well put together. Ive been checking on hemmings, ebay, this sites classifieds, and the locals. is there anywhere else i can look to find roadster for sale? thanks
67 1/2 1600

Post by 67 1/2 1600 »

Craigslist has good stuff. Dont know about roadters in Chicago though...

http://www.frappr.com/datsunroadster

Check on there for a roadster local to you..
J P D

Post by J P D »

Thanks!!

There are two people listed on that site that are near me with roadsters. How would I go about getting in contact with them to see if they want to sell. I dont see any contact info listed.
67 1/2 1600

Post by 67 1/2 1600 »

Heres a example "sale-114131872@craigslist.org" thats the email to contact the seller.. It is their email made private so junk/bulk mail will not reach them to their real mail. So just copy that and email them
J P D

Post by J P D »

oh sorry man, i meant on frappr.com
67 1/2 1600

Post by 67 1/2 1600 »

Oh Frappr... No clue.. LOL
JoeK
Roadster Fanatic

Post by JoeK »

Try Mike Young at http://datsunsports.com/Cars/CarsIndex.htm He's not near you, but he ships.
Joe
Former owner of:
'68 2L
BLK SRL
sold 12-11-2012
Conner
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Conner »

Craigslist is very good, so is http://www.collectorcartraderonline.com. Being in the windy city you shouldn't rule out buying a CA car (or mind came from Seattle) and getting it shipped. If you are going to do a restoration the majority of your money will be spent after obtaining the car, so it makes sense to pay a bit more upfront for a more complete and less rusty car. That is my experience anyway.
If you shop around for a while and become knowlegeable about what you want, you can definitely find a very good deal. From time to time roadsters pop up in excellent condition for reasonable prices.
You should also subscribe to the roadster mailing list. Instructions on how to do that can be found at: http://www.311s.org/mail_list.html.
Welcome.
Andy Conner
SRL 311-01633
wineguy
Roadster Fanatic

Post by wineguy »

Hey John,

Welcome the roadster addiction group! You will soon understand. I can get you in touch with Craig Halsted in Virgina. He always has a few for sale.
Chuck Barnes
67.5 2000 SRL-218- Sold
67.5 1600 SPL
67.5 2000 SRL-525
69 2000 SRL-12664
J P D

Post by J P D »

Wow, thanks for all the help guys and the pm's. At first I thought the Z guys were a great and helpfull group, but I guess its datsun guys in general.

I was looking to spend no more than 1500. the car doesnt have to run and it doenst have to be in the best shape, but ive learned from preveous projects that its best to start out with the most solid body and frame you can find. I was hoping to find one locally but if I have to go out west to get a clean one I will. I had to get one of my z's from nevada and I dont regret that decision cuz i striped it to the shell and there wasnt one dot of rust. So Ill keep lookin around and if you guys happend to find anything that seems like a good deal let me know, and lots of thanks for the help.
Conner
Roadsteraholic

Post by Conner »

Take your time. You should be able to find something for that price if you look long and hard, but it will probably take some cash over time to get it back to road-worthy.
Keep an eye on the Classified for Sale forum here, as we tend to post good-looking roadsters we see for sale (that we wish we could buy but lack the garage space/spousal understanding to buy) over there.
Andy Conner
SRL 311-01633
J P D

Post by J P D »

Yeah, im really in no hurry at all, Ill just keep looking. Im sure more will pop up in the spring, winter time isnt the best to sell a car.

just out of curiosity, does anyone know how the interior space of the roadster compares to an mgb? i used to have a 73 mgb and even though the car was so tiny i actually felt small sitting in it and im about 6ft tall. just wondering if the roadsters are the same way. thanks again
67 1/2 1600

Post by 67 1/2 1600 »

Doesnt Gene have a 66 for sale? Its running but could use some paint.
Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

Post by Import_sounds-of-mid-GA »

not up north but it isnt in Cali...
http://www.311s.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3455
ppeters914
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by ppeters914 »

Winter isn't the best time to sell, but Winter and Spring are usually the best time to buy! 8)

Oh, since you're in Chicago....if you're looking at a California or other warm-state car, you might ask if the heater and/or wipers work. Guess what I didn't do on the car I bought from San Jose, CA? :roll:
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle