Discuss engine swap details here!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

damarble
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Viability of the Ford 2.3 Ecoboost

Post by damarble »

At first glance this appears to be too large of an engine physically, but I'm a fan of it, so much so that I have a Bronco reserved with that engine, so I'm doing my diligence to see if the size can be overcome.

So right off the bat it's a tall engine at about 29". But is that a show stopper? The highest point is the high pressure pump at the back of the block. It looks like without the plastic cover the rest of the engine might be closer to 27". Still tall but something to chew on.

Another issue is transmission. The MT82 from the Mustang is not well liked and it's very large. Well after some web trolling I found where an individual discovered a NC Miata 6spd bolts right up with a Focus ST clutch. Very promising.

Egz
Roadster Fanatic
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: Viability of the Ford 2.3 Ecoboost

Post by Egz »

I thought I saw a video with someone putting on in, but I cannot find it again, but yea, height was an issue. I guess Miata swaps tend to use older smaller Miata engines (Although the 2.0l Duratec is 11mm shorter)
damarble
Roadster Fanatic

Post by damarble »

Further research has shown the HPFP has been an issue for other swaps. The solution is to cut a box for it into the cowl or mount the engine far enough forward to clear. There has been some talk of a remote mount HPFP. This is the point where most people walked away.
spriso
Vendor

Post by spriso »

A couple comments:

First off, that drawing of the engine is very interesting-- and certainly helpful for those interested in this swap.

We like to say that the SR20 is a 2-foot cube-- about 24" wide (outside edges of manifolds), 24" long, and 24" deep. If this is really 5" taller than a SR, I would be very concerned about that as there is not that much depth in the roadster engine compartment...

Lots of stuff hanging off of the back of that engine-- where is that all going to fit, or do you need to move the engine forward (never what we want to do). Looks like it may be a thermostat housing, but I can't tell what the upper protrusion is.

Another concern would be how many of those components are made from plastic, which makes them difficult to modify if you wanted to do so.

I don't know anything about Ford HPFPs, but my Mini Cooper S (ie. BMW) has been extremely problematic with it's built in HPFP, and they seem to double in price every time that I have had to replace them (last one was about $1400).

Always good to look at other possibilities...

Michael
Spriso Motorsports
http://www.spriso.com
Instagram https://instagram.com/spriso/
SR20 Powered Roadsters
Engine swap kits Available! See my website!
damarble
Roadster Fanatic

Post by damarble »

Yes Michael, certainly some things to think about and it may be a non starter in the end mainly due to everything hanging off the back. Better to get this information all in one place and be sure without buying parts. I wish every engine had these drawings easily available.

And now I just realized something obvious. I have an MZR engine in my driveway! It's an NA 2.0L, but it's mostly the same. Well, except for the stuff hanging off the back, which we kind of need to know about.

Also I found the NC Miatas had 2 manual transmissions that fit the 2.0L, a 5 and 6 speed, and they have a 10 degree tilt. The Miata oil pan is approximately 2" shallower than the Mustang pan in that drawing, and has a tilted bottom. There appears to be a multitude of MZR compatible oil pans of varios depths, but most are for transverse layout. Some locost builders seem to use transverse oil pans longitudinally without ill effect.

gratis upload

gratis upload
damarble
Roadster Fanatic

Post by damarble »

I haven't determined yet if the oil filter will have clearance issues but there seems to be a relocation plate available.

https://www.xero-limit.com/oil-filter-relocation.html

Pjackb
Roadsteraholic

Post by Pjackb »

The 2.3L probably wont fit since it's too high and long but the 2.0l and 2.5L version of the Duratec/MZR bolts right in with new mounts and no chassis modifications

These are pictures of a Ford fusion 2.5L engine block with Mazda Head and RWD Parts

damarble
Roadster Fanatic

Post by damarble »

Thank you, that's excellent information. It looks great in there and 175hp na from the 2.5 is nothing to sneeze at. Who's build is that and what transmission?
eye
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 2000

Post by eye »

Plan on cutting the X fame up in 2 places to get the exhaust out the back if you go that way
projects at 329art instagram
more junk 329art.com
Pjackb
Roadsteraholic

Post by Pjackb »

eye wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:48 am Plan on cutting the X fame up in 2 places to get the exhaust out the back if you go that way
Good call out you'd need to replicate the holes front the right side to get the exhaust trough

I have no idea if feasible but Just curious could you not go underneath?
I've seen a number of Roadster with exhaust systems that go below the rear axle instead of over , I would expect that to be lower than if you went below frame , No?
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

I personally would not want to go under the frame with the exhaust, or anything. My frame is so low to the ground now (and it's not slammed or anything, just MY Springs) that I would not want the constant worry of taking the exhaust out at any speed bump or driveway dip!
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
eye
Roadster Fanatic

Post by eye »

You would end up with 2" of ground clearance. A box turtle is 3" tall
more junk 329art.com
damarble
Roadster Fanatic

Post by damarble »

This is the area the HPFP would occupy. The HPFP is the tallest point of the dressed engine, but factoring in the 10 degree tilt of the Miata transmission it may drop the HPFP low enough to sneak under the cowl. This is of course assuming the firewall has been cut there and pushed back
damarble
Roadster Fanatic

Post by damarble »

Had the car in the air today so put a tape measure on from underneath. The lowest point of the R16 oil pan to the hood was 27". I think this is going to work with very careful placement and some metal surgery and I'm leaning more and more towards trying it.
eye
Roadster Fanatic

Post by eye »

That is what hot rodding is all about. IMO. I have never left anything stock. I love original and restored to new cars and bikes, but I sure love cutting them up too. Mine was in crappy enough shape to easily go to the crusher but it still on even if it is highly modified.
There is very little room to move anything in the firewall and front floors though. It's a pretty tight fit for anything but feet.

Good luck with it.
more junk 329art.com