For the racers out there!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

gtrbg
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Motor mount reinforcement

Post by gtrbg »

Sure others have done this before (including my brother) but I reinforced my motor mount with a bolt like I have seen a few others have done. Hopefully will keep motor from moving to much if rubber delaminates. Modified a mount I bought from my go to Datsun restoration parts comapany. Hope it works. Also looking to add a torque bar to stop movement like the aftermarket ones made for Mopars. Anyone done anything like this (pictures please). Looks like the only side I have space is the passenger side so will be a compression so cannot use chain.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Re: Motor mount reinforcement

Post by theunz »

Didn’t you just turn a vibration absorbing mount to a solid vibration enhancing mount?
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
gtrbg
Roadster Fanatic

Post by gtrbg »

No still sits on the rubber block and bolt is not compressing the rubber (do not tighten snug and have a rubber grommet under it). Probably does give a bit more vibration but will keep motor roughly in place if rubber delaminates. Also will limit side travel so may be a bit more harsh. More modern mounts use a metal cage to keep in place if rubber breaks. The Datsun factory mounts have no such back up. Has seen folks use it in fords and my brother has one on his Datsun. Have a U20 and when I looked at old mounts they appeared ready to break.
zippy67roadster
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by zippy67roadster »

I have been thinking of having aftermarket mounts made that have the bolts welded to the bottom mounting plate and then the insulating material vulcanized over them and the upper plate then vulcanized on top with the bolts coming through two holes drilled into the top plate. This would still give the mounts the ability to absorb the vibrations but if the material cracks or fails down the line the upper and lower plates are held in place by the bolts. BTW if you are thinking of putting a dampening or torque bar on you should just have some harder urethane mounts made as they will both take the vibration and travel of the motor and reduce it. I have thought about having these stiffer urethane mounts made but most people donot like the harshness and extra vibrations it will bring.
1967 Datsun SPL311-08935-vintage race car
1967 Datsun SPL311-10123 project
1967 Datsun 411 wagon
67.5 SPL311 Vintage Race car project
64 NL320 Pickup Truck
Brian
http://www.sincitydatsuns.com
https://www.facebook.com/sincitydatsuns
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

gtrbg wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:19 pm No still sits on the rubber block and bolt is not compressing the rubber (do not tighten snug and have a rubber grommet under it). Probably does give a bit more vibration but will keep motor roughly in place if rubber delaminates. Also will limit side travel so may be a bit more harsh. More modern mounts use a metal cage to keep in place if rubber breaks. The Datsun factory mounts have no such back up. Has seen folks use it in fords and my brother has one on his Datsun. Have a U20 and when I looked at old mounts they appeared ready to break.
This method looks like it could work fine. I'd suggest making the holes where the center bolt passes through the metal at least 2mm larger than the bolt diameter and replace that middle nut with nylon lock nut that isn't fully tight. That way the center bolt is floating in rubber and won't transfer much vibration, but if the rubber actually fails, the bolt will keep it from going anywhere. Not necessary for street engines, but looks fine for a race car//
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!