5 Spd Rebuild

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

23yrRebuild
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by 23yrRebuild »

There should be a part number somewhere.
Last edited by 23yrRebuild on Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike - '67 Stroker / 5-Speed
gmagana

Cost of Bearings

Post by gmagana »

Hello, Just wanted to let you all know that I have bearings for the 5 spd transmission. They are not the cheap type that come from China. the bearing sets consist of American, Argentinian and Japanese Bearings. the price for this high quality bearing set is 155 dollars plus tax if you live in CA. I also can get the transmission rebuilt here locally, email me for details.
Thanks, Gerardo
23yrRebuild
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by 23yrRebuild »

Hi Gerardo,
Can you tell the forum if your bearings are the ones made of chrome-steel or the 440 stainless kind?
Thanks,
Mike Hudson '67-1600
Mike - '67 Stroker / 5-Speed
Eric F

Re: 5 Spd Rebuild

Post by Eric F »

Hi Steve!
I had my 5 speed (Servo) rebuilt last spring... and had to pull the tranny again to fix the 5th gear which I incorrectly indentified as a splined unit..
clunker wrote:So I have this 5 spd transmission that has been sitting for a bit and I am wondering if I could get some advice on doing a rebuild before I throw it in the car. I have read the info on this site but nothing besides bearings is discussed.

1. Is this do-able myself?
A friend in Colorado was able to rebuild his own tranny, but he's got just about all the tools, workspace and time you could dream of.. I think you will need a press to get the bearings back in and stuff.
2. What parts should I replace and which of these parts can be found at a local parts store besides the bearings? Syncros? Gaskets?
I did the throwout bearing, main bearings, gaskets, seals and syncros with my rebuild. Everything else was good to go, but you never know until the box is opened up and everything checked out. As for the parts being locally obtainable, don't count on it. You could try to find the bearings locally (I still have all my old bearings if you need numbers and such), but otherwise, I'd say you need to look to the venders for the correct parts.
3. What is the best way to prevent the 5 gear problem I so often read about?
There are two types of 5th gear.... a pressed together that will eventually slip and a splined/pressed together. Both should be taken to a welding shop and TIG welded, but make SURE they measure the tolerances before hand and machine the gear if the heat affects it adversely. I had the pressed together version... I know all the manuals and gurus out there say to toss that into the trash instead of using it, but I had it welded up and so far, I've had no problems with it. The car made it 35 years with the simple press together gears, so it will probably outlive me now that it is welded. When they put it back together, make sure they put a bead of weld on the washer and the mainnut holding it. You'll see what I'm saying when you take the tranny apart. My car has the two main nuts. Those were torqued, then a bead of weld and also bead welded to the washer as well. I doubt this will come apart as it did after the first rebuild. If it does, I'll be back on here to share that knowledge too!
4. Any other recommendations?
Once you get the box rebuilt... go with the full synthetic oil! I have one smooth shifting tranny right now with Valvoline full synthetic!
Thanks for sharing the knowledge! :lol:
Good luck!!!!

Eric