H3R extinguisher and mount on oem roll bar

Discussion for product reviews! Coming sooner or later.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

jhayden
Site Supporter

H3R extinguisher and mount on oem roll bar

Post by jhayden »

H3R Halguard clean agent extinguishers and mounts (h3rperformance.com) are available in several styles from numerous retailers. The smallest H3R roll bar mount is designed for a 1 ½” bar, and the Nissan oem SP/SR roll bar measures a mere 1 5/16” od, so some shimming is required. The dual clamp produces a more solid mounting given the necessity for the shims, but roadster owners using aftermarket bars (e.g., 2” Hobrecht bars) will not find this necessary, and may opt for the single clamp.

Mounting is straightforward, but one is advised to note that hex wrenches of 5/64” and 9/64” (not among the most common sizes) are required. Some customers who have left feedback on the mounts noted difficulty removing the release pin following assembly. This should resolve itself after a few days as the extinguisher band clamp (also required) must become “seated” in the hard gasket of the dual clamp roll bar mount, or to the flat mount. If one wishes to use the extinguisher later the same day in competition, the hard gasket can simply be scraped out and replaced at a later date. H3R mounts are approved by most racing organizations.

The video clip shows the “brushed finish” choice, but the product is also available in polished. The quality and fit are outstanding, and the product is pricey but well worth the price. Sure, a less costly alternative using a kitchen extinguisher can be fabricated using screw clamps or even muffler clamps, and the owner will be reminded of trying to save a few bucks every time he/she gets into the car and sees it.

Jon Hayden

rwmann
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: H3R extinguisher and mount on oem roll bar

Post by rwmann »

Agree with the H3R 1.25 lb Halon unit, but mount mine on the floor, ahead of the passenger seat. Easier access (for me, at least), lower energy if it were to break loose (forward into the footwell), and less of a visible attraction to those who might want to make off with it, given I never drive with the top on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600

Post by Linda »

Very tempting target for theft. Would not expect it to last long if the car was parked on a public street.
Gone in 60 seconds... :?

Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

Nice find Jon, and really cool how you didn't have to drill into that rare factory roll bar!

Whenever I see extinguishers mounted on the rear legs I am reminded of my buddy Francis' '68 SRL :lol:

Mine is on the upright:
jhayden wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:05 pm Sure, a less costly alternative using a kitchen extinguisher can be fabricated using screw clamps or even muffler clamps, and the owner will be reminded of trying to save a few bucks every time he/she gets into the car and sees it.
Look, Jon, it's my car and it's my money! :mrgreen:
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by theunz »

While not as fancy as Jon’s, at less than $20 ( for the mount) I don’t feel that my set up looks cheap at all. I do keep debating with myself over purchasing a Halguard extinguisher as they are much less damaging than the dry chemical type. The issue, as Linda points out, is theft. A 2.5lb. Halguard is $200 or so and the mount is around $75. My total investment is about $35. I would feel the need to put the Halguard in the trunk every time I parked it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by theunz on Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
mraitch
Roadsteraholic

Post by mraitch »

I have mine on the floor right in front of driver seat. doesn't interfere and easy to get to.
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
jhayden
Site Supporter

Post by jhayden »

Linda wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:16 pm Very tempting target for theft. Would not expect it to last long if the car was parked on a public street.
Gone in 60 seconds... :?

Linda
Hi, Linda!
You certainly raise a legitimate concern, and you may choose your preferred answer (“none of the above” not an option, of course):
1) The theft is actually part of the plan, to keep the thief’s attention away from the Nissan oem day/night mirror.
2) The H3R quick release operates instantly by simply pulling the red ribbon, and the extinguisher with the band clamp can be stored safely in the trunk. (Best to keep any back-up trunk release inconspicuous.)
3) “Just another day at the office” for your Trunk Monkey to handle.

4) Squirrel hunts in some parts of Texas can be downright boring.
Jon :wink:
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

I definitely like #3 best. Moderate violence, no problem.
However, what if there was another choice..... So, unless the H3R was released in the exact correct way ( hidden button or voice activated or something...you engineers can figure it out), the entire contents of the canister sprays the thief with foam ! Neat!
Actually, a little messy for the Roadster, but a secret hidden camera will record all the fun providing a much needed laugh for all bored squirrel hunters and other pandemic participants in these crazy times.... :D

Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.