Roadster Racing at VIR

For the racers out there!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Mike Unger
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Roadster Racing at VIR

Post by Mike Unger »

Hi Everyone,

I managed to get the roadster out for some racing at Virginia International raceway last weekend with SVRA. We had three 2000s entered for the weekend. I've posted some in car video from my car and here's the link below. It was great to get back out on track for the first time in this crazy year.

Mike

Mike Unger
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Roadster Racing at VIR

Post by Linda »

What does the light on the dash board indicate? It is sometimes on, then off.
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
Mike Unger

Post by Mike Unger »

Linda wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:41 pm What does the light on the dash board indicate? It is sometimes on, then off.
Linda
Hi Linda,

That is a series of shift lights and some of them are hidden from view by the steering wheel. They light up in sequence and flash depending on the engine rpms.

Mike
Mike Unger
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Thanks for the ride along Mike! Really fun stuff and great to watch. Would they normally allow spectators in at different points on the track, like the long straight, or a series of corners? Looked like a good course for watching as well. Fun fight with the that MG (was it?), but I just knew you'd get em!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Mike Unger

Post by Mike Unger »

Gregs672000 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:05 pm Thanks for the ride along Mike! Really fun stuff and great to watch. Would they normally allow spectators in at different points on the track, like the long straight, or a series of corners? Looked like a good course for watching as well. Fun fight with the that MG (was it?), but I just knew you'd get em!
Yes, the grid order was a strange mix because we had rain all day Friday during qualifying so some of the lighter lower powered cars qualified high up in the grid. Normally there are a bunch of spectators but none this time due to COVID restrictions, just drivers and crew. The Pro Trans AM series races with us so there is usually a huge crowd. They did live stream the races during the weekend.

Mike
Mike Unger
Solex68
Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by Solex68 »

Great footage. Makes me feel like I was in your seat.
Greg a.k.a SOLEX68 - http://www.datsunvents.com/
Laguna Hills, CA
68 2000
Always willing to help another Datsun Roadster owner
Pending installs: All steering components, Stan Stealth Dizzy
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600

Post by Linda »

Surprised no one asked about what is a big deal for lots of guys....how fast does that thing go? LOL Like say at 9:25 when the grey car passed. What are the speeds on the straights? Though I think the speed thru the turns is kind of amazing. The car does not lean, rattle or bounce like I am used to hahaha

Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
bmccarthy67

Post by bmccarthy67 »

Mike, your race videos are ALWAYS motivating...it's great to hear the sound of your car at those RPMs. I know it's rules based, but why cant the Roadster have flares when so many of the other cars have them? Stay safe and continued success?

v/r
Buddy
http://www.mydatsun.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
67.5 SRL311-00321
67.5 SPL 2000 Transplant
66 SCCA Project
Mike Unger

Post by Mike Unger »

Linda wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:47 pm Surprised no one asked about what is a big deal for lots of guys....how fast does that thing go? LOL Like say at 9:25 when the grey car passed. What are the speeds on the straights? Though I think the speed thru the turns is kind of amazing. The car does not lean, rattle or bounce like I am used to hahaha

Linda
My car is around 130 at the end of the back straight. That car that went past is a Lotus 23 with a twin cam Cosworth engine. A very fast purposely built race car.
Last edited by Mike Unger on Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Unger
Mike Unger

Post by Mike Unger »

bmccarthy67 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:20 pm Mike, your race videos are ALWAYS motivating...it's great to hear the sound of your car at those RPMs. I know it's rules based, but why cant the Roadster have flares when so many of the other cars have them? Stay safe and continued success?

v/r
Buddy
Yes, rules. My car is prepared to 1967 SCCA C Production rules. No flares, all steel, no spoiler, limited wheel and tire width, etc. Some of the cars are prepared to different periods in time of racing history.
Mike Unger
bmccarthy67

Post by bmccarthy67 »

Thanks, that makes sense...it's just odd seeing the Grid line up of cars with what seem like would be advantages, but seeing you pass them anyway says a lot about you and your car! When I see Mike Anderson's Rock Vest car in Vintage racing with the flares it seems like the SCCA was pretty unfair to the Roadster back then. It sure is great seeing these racing though. Thanks for sharing and taking us along for the ride.

v/r
Buddy
http://www.mydatsun.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
67.5 SRL311-00321
67.5 SPL 2000 Transplant
66 SCCA Project
eye
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 2000

Post by eye »

Met these guys at VIR Saturday. Sorry I didn't get to meet you Mike.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
projects at 329art instagram
more junk 329art.com