Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Curtis
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: Dash lamps

Post by Curtis »

Curtis wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:45 pm Well not so fast. I just did some more testing. I have some sockets that have a ground wire on them and those are the ones I used. Most of the stock sockets do not. So the problem is that the sockets have to be insulated from the grounding of the dash or the ground feeds back through the gauges and negates the dimmer. Since my dash is powder coated I just stuck a couple gauges in there, hooked a ground wire to it and it works fine since the powder coat acts as insulation.

This of course raises issues for me or the necessary grounding for the GVR, hi,lo and horn. Looks like I'll have to add some ground wires or scrap off some powder coat. No scraping.

So the dimmer is a solution but not without some work. As to the gauges, what I will probably do is put some electrical tape around them where they contact the dash and where the retainer clip on the back contacts the dash..
Putting some of the stuff in my dash I revisited this. As noted it works perfectly in my powder coated dash. Just to make sure that the gauges cannot wear through and then ground I will add tape to the dash and gauges. I won't have to worry about the other items mentioned since they will ground through the steering column.

IMG_2889.JPG
IMG_2890.JPG
IMG_2891.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
Habitat.pat
Roadsteraholic

Post by Habitat.pat »

I made a dimmer for the LEDs using a cheap motor speed controller from Amazon, a resistor and a transistor. I tried it out & it works fine but my dash is totally out of the car and connections are done with jumper wires. As soon as I can get something useful I will shoot a video & post it. (I'll post the video here when I can if videos can be posted here, can they?) If they can't be posted I'll send the video to anyone who sends me an email address requesting it. There are two problems I found is that the potentiometer shaft is smaller than the original one. I haven't decided exactly how to attach the original knob, probably adhesive to start with and the dimmer needs a ground connection. Since I made my own wring harness I just added a ground to it.

Keep well.

Peace,
Pat
67.5 SPL311 Stroker Restomod
Pat Horne, Near Austin, TX
We support Habitat for Humanity
A hand UP, not a hand OUT
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

Just make your video super simple, Pat. Don’t assume we, I, know anything lol. Step by step :)

Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
Habitat.pat
Roadsteraholic

Post by Habitat.pat »

OK, I couldn't figure out how to link a video, so here is a series of stills.

I used a motor speed controller I found on Amazon. Really cheap, 2 for $6.12).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088P ... UTF8&psc=1

Since this cotroller requires the load to be in the negative lead I had to add a transistor to make it work. I used a TIP32C, also on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TB ... UTF8&psc=1

This is the controller board with mods & connections. Note that it requires a ground connection to operate.
IMG_3484.JPG
Lights dim. LED on right & standard dash light on left.
IMG_3485.JPG
Lights bright
IMG_3486.JPG
This is for the flat dash cars. If the shaft is extended it should work for late cars also.

This will also work with the incandescent bulbs so if your dimmer is bad & you don't want to convert to LEDs, this will work for you also.

There are three things that make this not just plug and play.
It requires a ground
The mounting is smaller than factory, but works
The shaft is slightly smaller in diameter that factory but will work.

If anyone wants further information as to how to build this dimmer, just ask. If there is enough interest I can make some up but it probably won't be for a couple weeks.

Peace,
Pat
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

Can't tell from the photos how you did the mods. Photos, schematic, and a write up would be nice.

I'm curious to see if this one works once the bulbs are in the gauges and the dash is grounded. The one I have won't work under that condition. Might be able to find a controller with the correct size shaft.
66 stroker, almost done.
Habitat.pat
Roadsteraholic

Post by Habitat.pat »

I sent Curtis a pm with my design. If he thinks it should be posted, I will. Curtis?

Peace,
Pat
Habitat.pat
Roadsteraholic

Post by Habitat.pat »

Curtis wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:55 pm Can't tell from the photos how you did the mods. Photos, schematic, and a write up would be nice.

I'm curious to see if this one works once the bulbs are in the gauges and the dash is grounded. The one I have won't work under that condition. Might be able to find a controller with the correct size shaft.
Curtis, you asked me to let you know if my setup worked once the dash was in and everything was mounted. Yes, they worked like a champ. I can do a write up if there is any desire for it.

Peace,
Pat
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

I bought a different one from the one above that works and doesn't care about the ground.
66 stroker, almost done.
Habitat.pat
Roadsteraholic

Post by Habitat.pat »

👍
23yrRebuild
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by 23yrRebuild »

Curtis wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:34 pm I bought a different one from the one above that works and doesn't care about the ground.
Curtis,...any further info about the dimmer you found, that doesn't care about the ground ?
Thanks, Mike
Mike - '67 Stroker / 5-Speed
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

66 stroker, almost done.
23yrRebuild

Post by 23yrRebuild »

Thanks for sharing, Curtis. Will this work with the flat dash & OEM knob, and no grounding of gauges, or other grounding issues ?
23yrRebuild

Post by 23yrRebuild »

Looking at their schematic, it looks like there still needs the gauge housings to be insulated from the dash (of course ! ), and a dedicated ground, as you've previously described. Do I have that right ?
Mike
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

23yrRebuild wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:47 pm Looking at their schematic, it looks like there still needs the gauge housings to be insulated from the dash (of course ! ), and a dedicated ground, as you've previously described. Do I have that right ?
Mike
Nope, fully tested. I did have to run a ground from gauge to gauge because of the powder coat. I modified the shaft slightly and the stock knob went on.
66 stroker, almost done.
23yrRebuild

Post by 23yrRebuild »

I have a stock, un-powder coated dash, instrument lighting is grounded through housings contacting through the metal dash face. Are you saying I just need to connect that dimmer's ground wire to the dash, or any other thing that's grounded to the dash, no additional ground pigtail required ?
Sorry,...I must have woke up denser than usual...just trying to understand .
Mike