2 for 1 - speedometer adapter & choke cable

Since the old single thread was getting too long again. Creating a new forum where you can ask your questions and if you get them answered -please indicate the issue was resolved or not.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

leonhart
Roadster Fanatic

2 for 1 - speedometer adapter & choke cable

Post by leonhart »

PART ONE

I think I've tried putting in on it before, and I was trying again today, but I'm having a difficult time trying to thread the 90° adapter onto the transmission. I don't know if I just can't get the angle right on and that's keeping it from threading on, or what the problem is. Of course, the bottom of the adapter wants to hit the frame, making it hard to maneuver into place. (Second pic showing adapter isn't necessarily how I've had it oriented, I've tried it every which way, I just tried to get a picture with it in the vicinity. Even with removing the key/pin, I can't seem to get it.

https://www.311s.org/Gallery/albums/userpics/14447/IMG_1305.jpghttps://www.311s.org/Gallery/albums/userpics/14447/IMG_1309.jpg

This is the correct place to attach it right? I mean, I dunno what else would attach there. Am I doing it wrong or do I just need to be more persistent?

PART TWO

Also, I can't seem to get the choke cable knob onto the end of the cable. They've never been attached since I've owned the car, so I'm checking if I'm missing something. :?

https://www.311s.org/Gallery/albums/userpics/14447/IMG_1311.jpghttps://www.311s.org/Gallery/albums/userpics/14447/IMG_1312.jpghttps://www.311s.org/Gallery/albums/userpics/14447/IMG_1313.jpg
1967 Datsun Roadster 1600 - 1.6L - 4 speed manual
2000 Toyota Celica GTS - 1.8L - 6 speed manual
2013 Scion FR-S - 2.0L - 6 speed manual
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Re: 2 for 1 - speedometer adapter & choke cable

Post by C.Costine »

just remove the rest of it. Take out that 7/16 cap screw which is holding the retainer, the retainer will probably come off with the screw, then pull the base out , assemble the two parts together, then re-insert and lock in place with the retainer and screw.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

For the 90 degree adapter - you may need to loosen the transmission mount to be able to shift it over to get it lined up properly. Install it and tighten the transmission. You may even have to completely disconnect the mount to get enough wiggle to get it done.

On the knob, I have not used one of those, but my understand is that it is a spring loaded bayonet mount. Try pulling the cable open, holding the cable with maybe some small vice grips, then push the knob on and gently twist.
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
leonhart
Roadster Fanatic

Post by leonhart »

C.Costine wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:19 am just remove the rest of it. Take out that 7/16 cap screw which is holding the retainer, the retainer will probably come off with the screw, then pull the base out , assemble the two parts together, then re-insert and lock in place with the retainer and screw.
I was considering this yesterday, but I wasn't sure if I might get some gears out of place or something might "fall out" - so I figured I'd ask for advice! I'll give it a try, thanks!

If not, I'll try loosening the transmission mount (another thing I thought I might have to do, but figured you guys have experience I don't!)

Thanks both for the feedback!
leonhart
Roadster Fanatic

Post by leonhart »

spl310 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:40 am On the knob, I have not used one of those, but my understand is that it is a spring loaded bayonet mount. Try pulling the cable open, holding the cable with maybe some small vice grips, then push the knob on and gently twist.
This worked perfect, thanks. I had tried pushing it/twisting before, but hadn't pulled it out first or clamped it to keep it from pushing in. :oops:

As for the 90° adapter, I pulled the speedo gear out, and test fitted the adapter, and the treads went on. I tried to get the threads cleaned up a bit while it was out as well. They wouldn't go in as a unit, BUT by having the little retainer out, I was able to push the gear in a hair further...giving enough clearance to start threading the adapter. Then I pulled the gear back out a hair to get the retainer back in.

Thanks again both of you for the help!
23yrRebuild
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by 23yrRebuild »

I don't wanted to cause any kind of heated debate, and I'll accept all civil replies to my post, but....my car is a '67, originally equipped with the stock, 4-speed transmission, with steel servos synchronizers, and it came with a 90º adapter that I was able to re-purpose and adapt to my stoker / 5 - speed transmission modification, that only required a minor "bump out" to the transmission tunnel, to allow it to fit.
That being said....the pic of your 90º adapter doesn't quite look what I may mistakenly assume, but don't believe to be the correct adapter for you. I can submit a picture of my adapter, installed, originally from my OEM '67 4-speed, to the modified adaptation to my 5-speed. .....and to make my longer than necessary point....the adapter your attempting to install doesn't seem right to me......your pic looks like what to me, a closely similar, yet somewhat different part to me. My opinion is that, some more input from stock '67 / 4-speed owners might be of some additional help to you.
Respectfully, to all,
Mike Hudson
Mike - '67 Stroker / 5-Speed
leonhart
Roadster Fanatic

Post by leonhart »

You could be right. My car had no 90° adapter attached when I bought it. It had no speedometer cable either. Neither were included in any of the boxes that came with the car.

I bought this one on ebay about 2 years ago, it was listed as being for a 1600, I asked the seller if it would fit a '67 because he didn't have any year listed. He said it would fit, so I bought it.

That said, it's now attached to the transmission. The pin fit in both sides. And the Classic Instruments pulse generator that came with the car (that I had to modify with an old Datsun speedometer end) threads onto it (and the pin goes in). So, I'm going to cross my fingers and hope it works whenever the car finally moves.

All that said, if it isn't the original piece, that could explain why it was a bit difficult to get into place. This car is already missing all of its original wiring and interior though, so originality doesn't matter at this point IF (and that's probably a big IF) it works. :wink: