Dropping the gas tank

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

camronware

Dropping the gas tank

Post by camronware »

My tank is drained, and I am ready to drop it. I see the straps, they are out of the way, but the tank still feels bolted somewhere. The filler neck is loose..are there other fasteners I am not seeing? Thanks!
TR

Post by TR »

You may try taking the filler grommet off, too. There are wires to the fuel level sender and another breather tube to the top of the tank, then just the hair pads that may be stuck...Good luck!
camronware

Post by camronware »

Grommet is gone, wires are off...yeah I saw those pads, they must just be stuck. Thanks!
67 1/2 1600

Post by 67 1/2 1600 »

Does it seem tight? the horsehair sometimes does stick! But normally come right down. Unless you havent un done the filler neck that will hold it too.
Conner
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Conner »

You did disconnect the supply and return lines, correct?
Andy Conner
SRL 311-01633
camronware

Post by camronware »

I just got it..it was stuck pretty good. I disconnected the lines after that..pretty simple!
I blew out the return fuel line with some compressed air and a whole crapload of fuel and dirt exploded out the end; hopefully that was my starvation/hesitation problem.
The tank sure does look dirty though inside...I'll get that cleaned too next week.
Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

Post by Import_sounds-of-mid-GA »

wow, mine dropped very easy.... guess it was took off and put back on b4 it sat. But inside mine was HORRIBLE!!!
wineguy
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by wineguy »

Mine fell out on top of me! :shock:
Chuck Barnes
67.5 2000 SRL-218- Sold
67.5 1600 SPL
67.5 2000 SRL-525
69 2000 SRL-12664
camronware

Post by camronware »

ouch! Yeah, the pads looked new..
I think the previous owner said he had the tank cleaned, but it was a while back, and who knows how much gas has sat in the lines and tank.