Idle Question - Fuel Starvation

Since the old single thread was getting too long again. Creating a new forum where you can ask your questions and if you get them answered -please indicate the issue was resolved or not.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

drummerdood
Roadster Fanatic

Idle Question - Fuel Starvation

Post by drummerdood »

Hello !

I have a set of rebuilt carbs on my '68 311. Seller claimed they were rebuilt by Keith Williams and I have no reason not to believe that. I thought I had everything close to dialed-in, though with a plug check it's running a tiny bit rich. The main issue I am having that when it is warmed up, it will sit and idle nicely at 600 RPMs - but after about a minute, it will begin to creep down and stumble around 400 RPMs until I blip the gas. It's almost as it becomes fuel starved. I've verified valves/timing are in spec. I've used the "magic number" to set mixture. Can I get suggestions on where to look next? Lean out mixture? Float height? Fuel Pump? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
keith0alan
Roadsteraholic

Re: Idle Question - Fuel Starvation

Post by keith0alan »

With it idling at 600 try leaning them out a little. If the idle speed picks up then you were a little rich.It sounds like loading up from being rich.
drummerdood
Roadster Fanatic

Re: Idle Question - Fuel Starvation

Post by drummerdood »

keith0alan wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:55 pm With it idling at 600 try leaning them out a little. If the idle speed picks up then you were a little rich.It sounds like loading up from being rich.
The oracle hath spoken. Thanks Keith! I’ll give that a try and report back.